BRAND CONFUSION :S

Hi VancouverGirl! I had this brand discussion with Dr. Ortiz before my surgery this past friday. He told me since two months ago, the OCC only uses the Realize band by Johnson and Johnson and discontinued using the lapband by Allergen. The Realize band is supposed to be better and I did some researching on it when I was researching the procedure, even before I found Dr. Ortiz. There is only one size port of this new band. Here is the Realize band official website with comparison info. Hope this helps!

Wow! I thought he was the poster-boy for Allegran?! Hmmmm. Interesting. He's a good doctor but an even better businessman so I'm sure J&J made it very worth his while to switch. If it makes you feel any better, I know lots of people who have been successful with both types of bands.

Sabrina:)

Wow! I thought he was the poster-boy for Allegran?! Hmmmm. Interesting. He's a good doctor but an even better businessman so I'm sure J&J made it very worth his while to switch. If it makes you feel any better, I know lots of people who have been successful with both types of bands.

Sabrina:)

Here are some facts from www.mylapbandsurgery.com I am certain both bands are fine.

Inamed vs Realize Banding

Written by Administrator

Monday, 14 July 2008

There are new bands coming into the market of the Bariatric Industry. Johnson & Johnson has come out with what's called the "Realize Band".

The cost is unclear. But we have gathered some information that we thought might be helpful to you readers and researchers that are considering getting Bariatric Surgery.

Differences between REALIZE and ALLERGAN bands:

Clinical outcomes (slip rate, erosion rate, weight loss, etc) are very similar between the two bands.

The Allergan band is the original band (Allergan bought the Inamed band company which bought Bioenterics company -

these are the old names of the same band)

Surgically, there are subtle differences such as:

**The Allergan band comes in many sizes,

REALIZE band has ONLY one size.

Allergan has two port sizes;

REALIZE is ONE SIZE PORT.

Allergan ports are stitched to the muscle fascia (the tough white stuff on the outside of the muscle);

REALIZE port has neat technology that attaches itself to the muscle fascia and may have slightly less

port pain the first few days after surgery.

The REALIZE ports have a neat tool that places the port and secures it with a handheld instrument making it really easy on the surgeon.

Allergan band tubing has little arrows printed on it pointing the surgeon to the tab end of the tubing which is a nice feature in the operating room.

Allergan ports are smaller around (circumference) and taller - perhaps EASIER to palpate for FILLS!

REALIZE ports are bigger around and less prominent.

Think small stack of silver dollars versus taller stack of quarters to create the mental image.

Allergan tubing is closer to the septum (the area that you aim for with the needle for adjustments/fills)

and perhaps more susceptible to needle sticks requiring port replacement.

REALIZE ports have the septum farther away from the tubing - the tubing is a little more protected.

Both bands are now easier to unbuckle in the event a surgeon has to reposition the band.

The REALIZE band comes with a instrument that helps to pass the band around the upper stomach.

The Allergan AP bands have "pillows" in the inflatable portion of the inner balloon that prevents balloon-to-balloon contact.

The REALIZE band does have balloon-to-balloon contact. Some people think that this contact may cause issues years later long-term . Because studies have

**NOT BEEN DONE LONG-TERM** The data is not available for the Realize Band because this product is still very much a new to determined if there are any problems that might occur.

MYLBS has always made it known that they use the "Inamed" Brand ONLY. Until there is long-term case studies done in part for the Realize band MYBLS Won't use this product for their clients.

Hummmmmm..... :-? Well, that doesn't make sense b/c I had it done on 6/3 at OCC, and not only was I told that the Lap-Band System by Inamed used, but my Post-Op Report also states specifically that the LB by Inamed was used - Not the Realize Band.... :-?

Hummmmmm..... :-? Well, that doesn't make sense b/c I had it done on 6/3 at OCC, and not only was I told that the Lap-Band System by Inamed used, but my Post-Op Report also states specifically that the LB by Inamed was used - Not the Realize Band.... :-?

I was given a LAP BAND System ID card. I was banded on 06-04-09. How do I get a post op-report?

Thanks,

Karen