just when I had given up....

So, I was banded my Dr O in September 08. I have had a great lapband experience. Almost to goal, give or take a few pounds. Had seriously tried to get pregnant for the past 2 years with no luck. I do have an 11 and 10 year old, but wanted just ONE more. So, I decided that it just wasn't meant to be and made an appt to go back on birth control. Suddenly, I was a few days late.... :mellow: .....then just found out that I am pregnant. I have been reading the past posts about pregnancy and the lap band. Just have some questions if anyone can help. Any advice is welcome!

1. Did you have to get unfilled? I am at 2cc which is my SWEET SPOT and I don't really eat that much. Have been feeling it loosening lately and was thinking of going for a fill before I found out about being pregnant.

2. How many calories are you (or did you) aiming for daily?

3. Did you OB FREAK out? I am not looking forward to that conversation. I KNOW how some doctors can be..... :o

4. Lastly, I am sort of stressed about overeating. I truly do not want to gain back all of this weight. I know that sounds selfish, but I want to come out of this with a healthy baby and not another 60 lbs to loose. You know what I mean????

Thanks everyone for your help.....

Congradulations!!!!!!!

I do not have any personal experience to speak of, but have a good friend who has had 3 babies with the band. She got a partial unfill with the first one and gained a lot of weight. She was very unhappy about it. With the last 2 she had a slight unfill and seemed to do much better.

That is all I can offer....

Congrats!!!! Same here I have no advice on the pregnancy thing, but how exciting!!!!! I've heard of some folks that just get an unfill completely but then some others that stay with a fill for quite a while.

Best of luck can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

So, I was banded my Dr O in September 08. I have had a great lapband experience. Almost to goal, give or take a few pounds. Had seriously tried to get pregnant for the past 2 years with no luck. I do have an 11 and 10 year old, but wanted just ONE more. So, I decided that it just wasn't meant to be and made an appt to go back on birth control. Suddenly, I was a few days late.... :mellow: .....then just found out that I am pregnant. I have been reading the past posts about pregnancy and the lap band. Just have some questions if anyone can help. Any advice is welcome!

1. Did you have to get unfilled? I am at 2cc which is my SWEET SPOT and I don't really eat that much. Have been feeling it loosening lately and was thinking of going for a fill before I found out about being pregnant.

2. How many calories are you (or did you) aiming for daily?

3. Did you OB FREAK out? I am not looking forward to that conversation. I KNOW how some doctors can be..... :o

4. Lastly, I am sort of stressed about overeating. I truly do not want to gain back all of this weight. I know that sounds selfish, but I want to come out of this with a healthy baby and not another 60 lbs to loose. You know what I mean????

Thanks everyone for your help.....

Congrats!! First my OB was cool. She wanted me totally unfilled and to gain 30lbs. I have heard from several others though that they are advised to gain 15-20 lbs which is totally reasonable. I didn't worry about calories just tried to eat healthy overall. You need to take a deep breath and realize you HAVE to gain weight and seriously within 1 month I was down 20 lbs with no effort whatsoever. So really it's not going to be starting over at all, just the small amount of baby weight. You'll definitely need to get unfilled maybe not all the way but some so that you can eat salads and fruits and veggies and that stuff for the baby...

Good luck and congrats again!

Karen

Congratulations,

I would recommend you get unfilled or at least call Dr.O and ask his opinion. I had a baby 2yrs ago and did not get unfilled because I read that you didn't really have to. Well after my pregnancy I wasn't getting any restriction so I went for a fill and ended up getting an unfill. The Dr told me that when you get pregnant you need to get unfilled and since I didn't the baby pushed some of my stomach up resulting in a pouch just above the band. So I was holding my food in that pouch.

After my unfill I had to wait 8wks before going back to check if the pouch had moved down or we would need to take the band out. I went back and the pouch did go down some not all the way. I was able to get a very small fill and he said that would give me some restriction and it has.

I would definetly call them and ask what the suggest you do. Sorry for this long post and good luck with your pregnancy.

Thank you thank you to everyone. I have my first appt in a few weeks. I think I will just make sure I am getting enough calories for now and see what my OB thinks when I get there. I think I do need to accept that I am going to gain some weight but that I DON"T have to let it be a "pig out" fest for the next 8 months. I am pretty tight and agree that I will need an unfill. I feel much better after your responses. :D

I am also considering this procedure at the OCC, and I have had many questions for them over the last week.

The first question I asked was about pregnancy, and if I would be able to have another baby if I had the band procedure done. She, like many others said "yes", and that sometimes at the beginning of the 3rd trimester, the docs wish for you to have some fill taken out as that is when the baby doubles in size! I am sure everyone is different, but I just wanted to pass along what I was told!

Congratulations to you! :)

I can't give any advice but I can give you congratulations. It warms my heart when someone gets pregnant after thinking they can't. I have a friend who has tried for years to get pregnant but just can't. There is no medical reason why she can't; it just doesn't happen. So, I'm very happy for you and know you will be able to handle losing whateve weight you gain.

Congrads!! I have zero advice but I am 6 months post op and my husband and I have been thinking about trying to get pregnant at the end of Jan. So it is nice to be able to read the advice from everyone.

Congratulations on becoming pregnant!!

And please try to remember that you are now MUCH more conscious of your body, and what you need to survive in a healthy way, thanks to the band. That is a *huge* step in NOT making the next eight months a 'pig-fest'! You are so much more on top of things now! Being aware is the first step, right?

I'm sure you'll do fine...concentrate on eating healthy for yourself and your little one...and every once in a while, pat yourself on the back for a job well done when you recognize where you'd be *without* the band!!

Hugs!!

Congratulations!!!! This will just be another journey, just like it has been in getting to know the lapband. You will have to keep us all posted.

You must be feeling such joy!

My sister just had my beautiful niece while banded, she did unfill. The baby is healthy and she looks great! The only bad part was that she had a reaction to one of the drugs for the c-section & vomited for 24 hours straight... She had soo much swelling due to getting sick - they had to completely unfill.

She did a fill a month or 2 later and if there is any doubt on how well she's doing - I should let you know that I am scheduled for surgery in August :D