For those yet to be banded

FROM MY JOURNAL:

Monday, July 20, 2009

I got up at 5AM this morning and left the house at about 5:45. I made it down to the Border Parking place in a couple of hours and the OCC van picked me up around 9:15AM. We came straight to the OCC where I met with Dr. Miranda who went over what to eat and not eat after my surgery. She wants me to make sure I stay hydrated since it is so hot where I live. She took my height (5’5.5”…weird, I used to be 5’6.5”, so I guess I shrunk!), weight (187.5). My BMI is 30 and she wants me to get down to about 138 and BMI of 24. I can’t remember all the stats she took, but I asked for a copy of the printout which they will give me tomorrow. I can go in the pool after about a week, but can’t swim. Then I met Dr. Jimenez who did a breath test on me and an EKG. He says I did “beautifully” on the breath test and have strong lungs. He also said that I have a strong heart! All good news. (I guess that makes me fat, but not unhealthy). After that I had some blood drawn. For some reason they took it from the top of my left hand and now that spot is very swollen and painful. I think a vein must have broken. Never had that happen before. Then it was on to the Marriott where I just stayed in my room and watched TV, slept and read. I drank some liquids I had brought with me rather than go down to the restaurant to eat because I didn’t bring a lot of money with me.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Today is surgery day! Yeah! Nervous but mostly excited. I met the Marriott van downstairs a 7AM and there were 5 other people going to the OCC as well, Vanessa, Michelle, Annette, Stan and a gal from New York who’s name I didn’t get. All very nice people but none knew about the lapbandforum.com.

At the clinic, we were taken to our rooms, one at a time, and given our gowns to change into. They also put long pressure socks on your legs. The wonderful nurse, Carmen, put a catheter in my wrist to give me antibiotics, anti-nausea medication, antacid and a pill to make me sleepy. She is very sweet and asked me to teach her how to say certain things in English like, “please put the dress on” and “It has been a long day”. So friendly! The room is very, very nice and has a pleasant water fountain and a nice TV with spa music playing as you enter, so that was relaxing. Dr. Ortiz made his rounds to each patient’s room and chatted a little. I asked him why he uses the Johnson & Johnson band and he says that he switched to that as the original Alergan was upgraded (he didn’t know why they needed to) to compete with the Realize band, but the new upgraded band is not approved in Mexico yet, so he switched. He felt that Alergan made an error in their thinking, because he was their largest purchaser of the Lap Band but they didn’t listen to him.

Before I knew it, staff came with a wheel chair and took me to the operating room which was very clean and modern. Within minutes I was under anesthesia. Next I knew I was being wakened in my room and had my vitals taken. I’m doing well. When I first woke up, I felt a lot of pressure in my upper abdomen which was very uncomfortable, but they get you out of bed to walk the halls and that makes it feel better. The first popsicle they gave me really hit the spot and I also drank Capri juice, broth and water.

I have asked if I can go home tomorrow and likely I can, but they haven’t said yes or no yet. One really nice thing is that they have private rooms and each has a phone that you can make calls to the U.S. or Canada for no extra charge. I thought that was really nice. I’ve spoken to Dave several times already to ease his mind. I am still feeling discomfort, but I know this is to be expected. So far, so good!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Today I woke up around 5AM for some reason and went and walked a little. Carmen came in and gave me a pain medication through the catheter that she said lasts all day. She then removed the catheter. Dr. Sol (SP?) came in and gave me discharge instructions regarding when I could go back to swimming, riding my scooter and exercising that I asked him about. He told me I could shower, but wasn’t to touch the incisions (5 in all, 4 small and 1 larger where the port is) with my hands. I can’t swim for 3 weeks because there could be bacteria in the water that would infect the incisions. I am not supposed to ride the scooter for a few weeks, he says. I just need to allow my stomach time to heal. I then asked if I could go home today, rather than spend another night at the hotel and he said I could. I quickly called the receptionist and lucky for me, the OCC van was arriving in 10 minutes. I was already packed and ready to go, so off I went and was shuttled to my car at the border parking lot. I made it home before noon. I’m feeling pretty good. Some pressure and tenderness, but I keep drinking my liquids and walking and resting. I’m feeling great about my decision!

Thanks for posting that - really helpful. I'm being banded by Dr. Ortiz next Friday so it's nice to have an idea of what to expect. Any words of advice?

You know, I can't state it any better than just relax and let them take care of you. They have everything down to a science and you will be so happy you did it. I had my pre-ops (EKG, meet with nutritionist, have blood drawn) on Monday morning, then surgery on Tuesday, and drove home on Wednesday. If I had it to over again, I would have my pre-ops and surgery the same day, and then go home the next day. I really don't think that extra day after surgery is neccessary. The morning after surgery you will feel pretty good and able to travel.

Best of luck to you and don't worry. You will be in great hands!

Red

Wow Red, Congratulations!!!!! Thanks so much for telling us how it went and what to expect...it is so good to hear all of these positive things! I am glad you are feeling so good, I look forward to future posts as you progress!

Jen

26 days to go!!

i think that you pretty much said it all. Well written. I had everything done in one day and it was better that way I thought to.

FROM MY JOURNAL:

Monday, July 20, 2009

I got up at 5AM this morning and left the house at about 5:45. I made it down to the Border Parking place in a couple of hours and the OCC van picked me up around 9:15AM. We came straight to the OCC where I met with Dr. Miranda who went over what to eat and not eat after my surgery. She wants me to make sure I stay hydrated since it is so hot where I live. She took my height (5’5.5”…weird, I used to be 5’6.5”, so I guess I shrunk!), weight (187.5). My BMI is 30 and she wants me to get down to about 138 and BMI of 24. I can’t remember all the stats she took, but I asked for a copy of the printout which they will give me tomorrow. I can go in the pool after about a week, but can’t swim. Then I met Dr. Jimenez who did a breath test on me and an EKG. He says I did “beautifully” on the breath test and have strong lungs. He also said that I have a strong heart! All good news. (I guess that makes me fat, but not unhealthy). After that I had some blood drawn. For some reason they took it from the top of my left hand and now that spot is very swollen and painful. I think a vein must have broken. Never had that happen before. Then it was on to the Marriott where I just stayed in my room and watched TV, slept and read. I drank some liquids I had brought with me rather than go down to the restaurant to eat because I didn’t bring a lot of money with me.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Today is surgery day! Yeah! Nervous but mostly excited. I met the Marriott van downstairs a 7AM and there were 5 other people going to the OCC as well, Vanessa, Michelle, Annette, Stan and a gal from New York who’s name I didn’t get. All very nice people but none knew about the lapbandforum.com.

At the clinic, we were taken to our rooms, one at a time, and given our gowns to change into. They also put long pressure socks on your legs. The wonderful nurse, Carmen, put a catheter in my wrist to give me antibiotics, anti-nausea medication, antacid and a pill to make me sleepy. She is very sweet and asked me to teach her how to say certain things in English like, “please put the dress on” and “It has been a long day”. So friendly! The room is very, very nice and has a pleasant water fountain and a nice TV with spa music playing as you enter, so that was relaxing. Dr. Ortiz made his rounds to each patient’s room and chatted a little. I asked him why he uses the Johnson & Johnson band and he says that he switched to that as the original Alergan was upgraded (he didn’t know why they needed to) to compete with the Realize band, but the new upgraded band is not approved in Mexico yet, so he switched. He felt that Alergan made an error in their thinking, because he was their largest purchaser of the Lap Band but they didn’t listen to him.

Before I knew it, staff came with a wheel chair and took me to the operating room which was very clean and modern. Within minutes I was under anesthesia. Next I knew I was being wakened in my room and had my vitals taken. I’m doing well. When I first woke up, I felt a lot of pressure in my upper abdomen which was very uncomfortable, but they get you out of bed to walk the halls and that makes it feel better. The first popsicle they gave me really hit the spot and I also drank Capri juice, broth and water.

I have asked if I can go home tomorrow and likely I can, but they haven’t said yes or no yet. One really nice thing is that they have private rooms and each has a phone that you can make calls to the U.S. or Canada for no extra charge. I thought that was really nice. I’ve spoken to Dave several times already to ease his mind. I am still feeling discomfort, but I know this is to be expected. So far, so good!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Today I woke up around 5AM for some reason and went and walked a little. Carmen came in and gave me a pain medication through the catheter that she said lasts all day. She then removed the catheter. Dr. Sol (SP?) came in and gave me discharge instructions regarding when I could go back to swimming, riding my scooter and exercising that I asked him about. He told me I could shower, but wasn’t to touch the incisions (5 in all, 4 small and 1 larger where the port is) with my hands. I can’t swim for 3 weeks because there could be bacteria in the water that would infect the incisions. I am not supposed to ride the scooter for a few weeks, he says. I just need to allow my stomach time to heal. I then asked if I could go home today, rather than spend another night at the hotel and he said I could. I quickly called the receptionist and lucky for me, the OCC van was arriving in 10 minutes. I was already packed and ready to go, so off I went and was shuttled to my car at the border parking lot. I made it home before noon. I’m feeling pretty good. Some pressure and tenderness, but I keep drinking my liquids and walking and resting. I’m feeling great about my decision!

i think that you pretty much said it all. Well written. I had everything done in one day and it was better that way I thought to.

Thanks for your help. I am going in September and I am a need to know kinda girl-- I like to know whats coming my way and I think you gave a great description of what happens while there.

Best of luck to you and will look forward to more updates !!!

Jen

Very good info for the newies. One thing that caught my attention, though, was the low weight you are shooting for. I'm 5 foot 6 and after losing 72 pounds, I'm now about the weight you are now- just going in for your surgery!!! I can't imagine having major surgery at your weight. I feel so "normal". I wear a size 14, have curves in all the right places. The only reason I'm going to try to lose more (down to 160) is for a healthier BMI, but I feel fantastic! I wonder why Dr.Mairanda told me I should weigh 160 but you, at the same height, 130's?

Sabrina:)

Sabrina,

I have read some studies that say our lean skeletal mass and lean body mass MAY increase as we gain weight and MAY NOT revert back to normal upon losing weight. Perhaps that is why people who start at heavier weights (higher BMI)are given higher goal weights than people who start at lower weights (lower BMI). I do not know. The studies are out their if you care to search for them and do not mind reading through research data and medical jargon but the findings are not concrete.

Personally, I do not think any of us should be allowing someone else to pick a goal weight for us off of a chart put together by "professionals" to measure general population trends. BMI is only one way to measure a healthy weight.

Sabrina: I think you are on to a winning formula for yourself when you say you feel normal, have curves in all the right places, and wear a size 14 and you feel fantastic. That is such a positive and self-affirming attitude and one of the best things that I have ever read on this forum! Good for you.

Keep that healthy and positive attutude.

Dawn

Very good info for the newies. One thing that caught my attention, though, was the low weight you are shooting for. I'm 5 foot 6 and after losing 72 pounds, I'm now about the weight you are now- just going in for your surgery!!! I can't imagine having major surgery at your weight. I feel so "normal". I wear a size 14, have curves in all the right places. The only reason I'm going to try to lose more (down to 160) is for a healthier BMI, but I feel fantastic! I wonder why Dr.Mairanda told me I should weigh 160 but you, at the same height, 130's?

Sabrina:)

Sabrina,

Most likely your fat percentage isn't as high as mine. Mine is 44.7%. I realize that 187 doesn't sound huge to you, but on me it looks, well, FAT. It really adds years to me and if you saw me naked, you would see what I mean. I have been 130 before, around age 40 and it was a size 8 for me and I looked and felt great. But if I only make it down to 138, like she wants me to be, then I can live with that. We all hold the weight differently. That is why we can't really compare to each other. For example, in your picture, your face is twice as thin as mine. Once I get further down the weight loss road, I will post some photos so you will be able to see what I mean. I think you look beautiful and I hope I will too one day!

FROM MY JOURNAL:

Monday, July 20, 2009

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm being banded 2 weeks from now and I so appreciate all the information posted on the forum. If I recall correctly, you mentioned that you were going to surgery by yourself. If so, how did that go? I'm thinking about doing the same, but everyone seems so shocked when I tell them I might just go alone.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. THAT WAS VERY THOUGHTFUL & VERY HELPFUL OF YOU.

I AM SCHEDULED FOR 8/19/09. THIS GIVES ME SO MUCH INFORMATION, THE STUFF THAT HAS BEEN SWARMING IN MY HEAD .

THANKS AGAIN.

WRITTEN BEAITIFULY!

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!

Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm being banded 2 weeks from now and I so appreciate all the information posted on the forum. If I recall correctly, you mentioned that you were going to surgery by yourself. If so, how did that go? I'm thinking about doing the same, but everyone seems so shocked when I tell them I might just go alone.

You know, I'm kind of glad I went alone. I didn't have to worry about anybody else that way. It was kind of relaxing. I just parked at the border and the OCC van was there just when they said they would be. They stop there as they come from picking people up at the airport, so most likely you will meet other people right away. I knew I wasn't going to venture out from the hotel because I didn't want to spend money and didn't want to really do that alone, but I had a nice hotel room and had my laptop and books to read. Once you get to the OCC for your surgery, everything goes so quickly that it is no big deal being alone. By then you are meeting everyone else having surgery that day and will be sharing the same experience. I actually enjoyed it, if that doesn't sound too weird. The next day I was up and feeling well, was taken back to my car and drove home. That was Tuesday. Wednesday I took it really easy and felt tired, but that is to be expected. Today, Thursday, I took a nice warm shower which helped me feel like a million bucks. I don't push myself. I have learned from reading this forum and follow the advice of the people that post who have been doing this awhile. Like they say, go with the flow. If I had to do it again, I would definetly go alone again. Does that help?

Good luck to all of you upcoming August bandsters! You won't have a lick of trouble...you will be so happy after you have it done. I think the worst part of this whole thing is all the anxiety of "not knowing" for the weeks prior to surgery. I wanted to point out one thing that I believe helped me too. The day before surgery, a lot of people like to go have that "one last big meal" before they begin the 8 hour fast before surgery. I didn't give in to temptation, even though I couldn't get tacos out of my mind. I had brought some protein water, regular water and boullion with me and that is what I had the whole day before surgery. I really didn't experience a lot of gas and NO nasea at all, and I'm thinking it is because of that liquid diet the day before. I may be wrong about that but I don't have much gas now either and no shoulder pain (yet??). Also, I found that a heating pad on my abdomen really felt good that first night I was home. Kind of took the edge off.