Stress, hydration and keeping food down

Hi. I had my lap band done September 12, 2008, by January I had lost 50 pounds..and now it's slower, I'm down only 10 more, but honestly, only need to lose 20-30 more, and I know it happens slower once the main loss is over.

My last adjustment was about a month ago 1/2 a cc. The first day was miserable, couldn't keep even water down, but after some warm tea and jello, in 24 hours I was much better.

As it is I can't usually eat anything solid till later in the day, so I have cream of wheat for breakfast, then yogurt / proteien drink, beef chicken or salad goes easily at night.

HOWEVER sometimes I can't keep ANYTHING down, and I am trying to figure out if it has to do with other factors, like outdoor heat, the volume of water I drink during the day (not enough?) and I DO know that stress or tension contribute as well.

Does anyone else notice this happening and keep notes of what causes this..? I'm sure it will be fine tomorrow, but today is miserable, can't even keep down soup or tea..

Jen

Hi. I had my lap band done September 12, 2008, by January I had lost 50 pounds..and now it's slower, I'm down only 10 more, but honestly, only need to lose 20-30 more, and I know it happens slower once the main loss is over.

My last adjustment was about a month ago 1/2 a cc. The first day was miserable, couldn't keep even water down, but after some warm tea and jello, in 24 hours I was much better.

As it is I can't usually eat anything solid till later in the day, so I have cream of wheat for breakfast, then yogurt / proteien drink, beef chicken or salad goes easily at night.

HOWEVER sometimes I can't keep ANYTHING down, and I am trying to figure out if it has to do with other factors, like outdoor heat, the volume of water I drink during the day (not enough?) and I DO know that stress or tension contribute as well.

Does anyone else notice this happening and keep notes of what causes this..? I'm sure it will be fine tomorrow, but today is miserable, can't even keep down soup or tea..

Jen

Jen, I just went through this a few days ago and now I'm totally fine again. I'm tracking to see what is causing my "super tight days" and so far all I can come up with is stress. I used to take meds for anxiety but I quit them just before being banded and handle my stress well MOST of the time. When I don't, I can't eat solids. At least that''s what I think it is for me but it's a conclusion I've only come to in the past 48 hours so who knows? LisaL posted some relaxation techniques a while back that you may find helpful if you search for the post!

Sabrina:)

This is going to sound funny but I have found that if I don't eat something for lunch then I can't keep anything down at dinner time... So no matter how busy I am I force myself to eat (chew) something around lunch time... Weird I know.

Shy

Hey Shy--

I've noticed that too--that if I happen to skip lunch (usually too busy, not that I would ever forget to eat-haha) dinner becomes a real challenge. I thought it was just me, but maybe there is something to it. Thanks for posting it.

My sister is banded too and she has the same problem... I think there might be something to it.

Shy

Hey Shy--

I've noticed that too--that if I happen to skip lunch (usually too busy, not that I would ever forget to eat-haha) dinner becomes a real challenge. I thought it was just me, but maybe there is something to it. Thanks for posting it.

Hey Shy--

Shy and Diana,

I have noticed this too. But, I have also noticed that if I let myself get really hungry by going too long without food, that I start off eating too fast and taking larger bites than I should and/or not chewing enough. I have to make an effort to slow down or right away my food will back up and the problems will begin and I will end up with little or no real food for the entire day. So, for me, it is a eating behavior problem. I am not saying that is what it is for you and it is interesting that others have this same issue.

Dawn

Hi Gals, and thanks. I met with Dr. yesterday, I had a plug because (of course) tried to eat one bite of something I shouldn't have, then when I got stressed and it started to back up, apparently it made an even bigger problem by seizing up the area with irritation.

Dr. said it is also evident that when its 100 degrees out and you drink something SUPER cold it can cause spasms and problems in the area. Sort of locked it up in essence.

There was a fellow in the office yesterday getting adjustment, he was DOWN to 285 I guess, but it's only a been a short time. Said he's eaten a lot of French Bread, Tortillas and Soda pop. Yikes.

I can't eat anything like that, would kill me, trying to figure THAT one out.

And yes, if I eat ANYTHING in the AM, esp Cream of Wheat, it makes the rest of my day easier. If I don't, I don't seem to be able to eat till about 4pm, then am FAMISHED by 8pm which is the same eating habit trouble that got me into this <FAT> problem to begin with.

Dr. of course says NOT ONE BITE OF FOOD after 7pm EVER. I'm trying to stick with it.

I see you all are doing great with your weight loss...I'm down 6 pounds in the last month..but having trouble...

Jen

Shy and Diana,

I have noticed this too. But, I have also noticed that if I let myself get really hungry by going too long without food, that I start off eating too fast and taking larger bites than I should and/or not chewing enough. I have to make an effort to slow down or right away my food will back up and the problems will begin and I will end up with little or no real food for the entire day. So, for me, it is a eating behavior problem. I am not saying that is what it is for you and it is interesting that others have this same issue.

Dawn

I think you are on to something--I had problems in the beginning because I had a bad habit of eating real fast. I'm going to watch it, and really try to not skip any meals.

Oh yeah stress tightens me right up! I always make sure and have soup at work ready just in case. I get stressed quite a bit so on those days I don't even try to eat solids and just do soft stuff. The soup at hand ones are a life saver!

I have also experienced problems with eating anything after 8pm. I will wake in the middle of the night having a PB'ing episode. It was explained to me that the food has not had a chance to totally digest and that by laying down it wants to come back up.

Anne

Thanks so much you look fantastic as well! You have done a really great job! Can see a HUGE difference!

I haven't been losing lately, but I think i'm toning up a lot. I am training for a 5k and so it has plateaued me a bit but i'm ok with that as long as I don't gain. I also haven't been eating totally according to plan so I need to get back on track. Lots of work and family stress but I can't let than be an excuse! Gotta stick with it!

One thing I noticed that I don't see mentioned is salt - it really affects my band, when I retain water due to high salt I really get tight.

I was having some issues and finally started writing down everything I was eating, and dealing with in my journal and it really helped me to better understand my band and what affected it. The weather is a great one - both hot and cold weather get me tight, and flying (that time) - however stress is my band killer - it always gets me. That's my main focus and the hardest one to manage.