Medication

Hi everyone, I am doing the countdown and now my head is racing with questions!

I am on regular medication and am worried about being able to swallow it (all pills) right after surgery. Has anyone else had to take pills right after?

Thanks in advance for any advice - I really appreciate it!

Jen :blink:

12 days to surgery

Hi, Jen.

I have to take Lodine every day for back inflammation. I had to stop (of course) a week before surgery and then I waited until I was out of the 21-day liquids before I started taking taking them again.

I have to take them with milk. So here's what I do: I make myself a Carnation Instant Breakfast with milk and add a scoop of protein powder to it. I put it in a glass and use a straw to drink it. Then I cut my pills up so the pieces are the size of pencil erasers. I take a sip of my breakfast, then one at a time, I take my pills.

So far, I've had no problems.

Hope that helps!

Hugs!

Hi, good to know! Unfortunately I cannot stop my medications and am really nervous about getting them down! I have 4 pills each day...lord I am not sure what I am going to do..

Jen :wacko:

I got a pill crusher. It puts them into dust. They taste nasty but it works.

Did you pick that up at the pharmacy? Geez, I have to find one of those! Thanks for that idea!

Jen :rolleyes:

Hey guys!

Double check to make sure that whatever you are taking is alright to crush up. Some meds are time-release and could become too strong too fast if not taken in the form in which they are dispensed. Just puttin' it out there. :)

Hey guys!

Double check to make sure that whatever you are taking is alright to crush up. Some meds are time-release and could become too strong too fast if not taken in the form in which they are dispensed. Just puttin' it out there. :)

Very good point! I think I will be talking to my pharmacist about all of this!

Very good point! I think I will be talking to my pharmacist about all of this!

I contacted OCC prior to my surgery because I too have medication for hypothyroidism that I can't miss and Celexa which they put me on when I became menopausel (what a life saver!). I was told I did not have to stop taking them and I've just been taking them as I always have. They are both about the size of an aspirin so the doctor said that was fine. I don't crush them. Everything goes down really easy as I don't have any restriction yet. Always a good idea to email or call the OCC for direction. They are great about getting right back to you.