7 days post-op

Hi everyone,

I don't know if it's easier to start a new thread or to keep posting on my old one, but I chose to start a new one. =)

Hi RED!! Thanks for asking how I am doing! And thanks to all of you wonderful bandsters that commented on my last post! (You guys are seriously amazing...!)

I am now 7 days post-op, and things have been good. I am in less pain than I imagined I would be in, and really, the pain is mostly gas related. Though today I am having pain above the port and its incision, but it's not terrible. I can pretty much move around without any trouble, though getting up from lying down is sometimes a pain. I haven't struggled with the clear liquids too much, asides from some hunger and reminding myself that I NEED to drink lots because I'm having such a low-caloric intake. I love chicken broth and juice, haha, so it's been nice to consume these as much as I want. I'm taking my liquids vitamins and chromium, and things are really going well. =D

The worst thing so far has been my food nightmares! I have been having terrible dreams about eating, and waking up and thinking I had actually eaten and then being in a state of panic. My Dad, who is a psychiatrist, says this is a classic happening when an addict stops their addiction. My family and I already knew that I was addicted to food, and it's pretty clear that I have an eating disorder, but not the kind where I don't eat, but where I eat TOO much. It's called binge eating, followed by more binge eating and never purging. I'm sure a lot of you have had similar experiences. And I just wanted to say that accepting the fact that I really am not in control, and that I am not just lazy or unmotivated, that I have a DISEASE, has helped me alot. Other people on the outside might just think we are copping out or lazy, but it is serious!

Starting in September, I am actually going to be going to an eating disorder treatment center in San Diego (it was a coincidence that it is near OCC) for 40 days. I won't be able to get online =( to chat and get support, but I will be in a good place, a place where I can finally start to address the psychological reasons for my over eating. The band is in place to help with actual food intake, but now I need to learn to not make food my go-to comfort thing.

I am so glad I got the band, and I know it will help me immensely. I am sort of upset by the prospect of not eating cupcakes, flour tortillas, and sandwiches ever again, but hopefully at the treatment center I will learn to make those not important to me. I am very much looking forward to full liquids and I will check in again soon!

I hope you all are all doing well!!

Much love from Tennessee,

Chloe'

Hey Chloe!

So glad all is well. I had a dream similar to yours, but I hadn't been banded yet. I was fasting for Lent, the whole 40 days straight, and I dreamt that I was eating a (delicious) ice cream sandwich. I remember feeling in my dream upset that I had broken the fast, but when I woke up I was so relieved, but real curious about dreaming about eating. One thing I noticed not only during that time, but also during the 21-day post-op liquid phase, was how many food commercials are on TV! I swear, it is like subliminal messaging. And do they make the food look juicier, richer, cheesier, and more chocolatey (sp?) on TV than it is in real life? It sure seems like it when you are only doing liquids. Anywho--so happy that you are on the other side of the decision part of this, and now are in the "action" phase. Take care, kid!

Wow, how interesting! I am so glad to hear how well things have turned out for you Chloe! Keep up the good work! I am getting banded next week and starting to think about lots of different things in regards to how I eat. Like you (and many others on here I am sure) I am a food addict...it is every bit as serious and hard to recover from like any other addiction...maybe even harder since we can't just give it up altogether!!

I wonder if I will dream of food too...I found that so interesting what you both said! I can see waking up in a panic worrying I ate something too soon!

This is such an amazing forum - learn so many valuable things on here and just to know so many others have walked this path is a great comfort!

Can't wait till I cross over and join you all in bandland!!!!

Hey Chloe!

Glad to hear you are dealing nicely with everything. I'm on day 21 today! Yew Hew! I can eat food tomorrrow! I have found that the port pain lasted longer than anything. Bending forward would really aggravate it or sitting in a car for any length of time was bothersome too. But today all pain is pretty much gone with just a little tenderness at the port site. I hear that takes awhile to go away completely.

You know, I think of myself as a food addict too. I miss cheeseburgers and bread, pasta, bad carbs mostly. And I didn't eat those things all the time, but when I did, it was in very unrealistic portions compared to what other people ate. Eating that kind of stuff really filled some kind of weird void in myself that was such a comfort. I don't know what it was, really. Once I get restriction after a fill or two, I don't think I will give those foods a lot of thought because I will feel more full than I do now. I think the challenge for me will be to get through the time between tomorrow, solid food, and my first fill without over eating.

You sound like you are on the right track and have good support from your family and that is going to help you to succeed. You keep up the good work and good luck in San Diego! Your great attitude is going to make you successful on this journey!

Red

Hey Red, how are you doing? How did you find the 21 day liquid diet? I am hoping I am not spending crazy amounts of time in the loo as we only have one at work and it is downstairs...and usually full!

You must be so excited to be starting food tomorrow! Congratulations! Are you nervous about that first swallow? That is what is freaking me out!!!

Hey Red, how are you doing? How did you find the 21 day liquid diet? I am hoping I am not spending crazy amounts of time in the loo as we only have one at work and it is downstairs...and usually full!

You must be so excited to be starting food tomorrow! Congratulations! Are you nervous about that first swallow? That is what is freaking me out!!!

I'm doing great! I got really tired of the liquid diet, to be perfectly honest. I did fine on it, but I felt hungry. I'm hoping some solids today will fill me up. No, I wasn't in the bathroom all the time, so I don't think you have to worry about that, but then, everyone is different. One thing I discovered in my liquid diet phase was those Special K protein powder packets you pour into your water. They come in pink lemonade and tea flavors, among others. They are very tasty and help you get in all that water you are supposed to drink! I also liked the Activia drinkable yogurt and the Dannon light and fit. I admit that I ate a couple of semi-skim mozzarella cheese sticks and some chili last night, so I think I officially started my solids 1 night early! Gosh did that ever taste good, but I had digestive issues in the night. Oops. But I'm down 11 pounds and feeling like a million bucks! Not to worry DixyChixy! All will be well! Good luck!

Red

Awesome to hear it was all fairly uneventful - that is what I am hoping for!

I cannot for the life of me find the protein water/packets! I don't know that we have that up here...I keep looking but have come up empty.

Glad you are doing so great!

Awesome to hear it was all fairly uneventful - that is what I am hoping for!

I cannot for the life of me find the protein water/packets! I don't know that we have that up here...I keep looking but have come up empty.

Glad you are doing so great!

Jen, if you PM me your address, I would be more than happy to mail you some!

Red

Hi everyone,

I don't know if it's easier to start a new thread or to keep posting on my old one, but I chose to start a new one. =)

Hi RED!! Thanks for asking how I am doing! And thanks to all of you wonderful bandsters that commented on my last post! (You guys are seriously amazing...!)

I am now 7 days post-op, and things have been good. I am in less pain than I imagined I would be in, and really, the pain is mostly gas related. Though today I am having pain above the port and its incision, but it's not terrible. I can pretty much move around without any trouble, though getting up from lying down is sometimes a pain. I haven't struggled with the clear liquids too much, asides from some hunger and reminding myself that I NEED to drink lots because I'm having such a low-caloric intake. I love chicken broth and juice, haha, so it's been nice to consume these as much as I want. I'm taking my liquids vitamins and chromium, and things are really going well. =D

The worst thing so far has been my food nightmares! I have been having terrible dreams about eating, and waking up and thinking I had actually eaten and then being in a state of panic. My Dad, who is a psychiatrist, says this is a classic happening when an addict stops their addiction. My family and I already knew that I was addicted to food, and it's pretty clear that I have an eating disorder, but not the kind where I don't eat, but where I eat TOO much. It's called binge eating, followed by more binge eating and never purging. I'm sure a lot of you have had similar experiences. And I just wanted to say that accepting the fact that I really am not in control, and that I am not just lazy or unmotivated, that I have a DISEASE, has helped me alot. Other people on the outside might just think we are copping out or lazy, but it is serious!

Starting in September, I am actually going to be going to an eating disorder treatment center in San Diego (it was a coincidence that it is near OCC) for 40 days. I won't be able to get online =( to chat and get support, but I will be in a good place, a place where I can finally start to address the psychological reasons for my over eating. The band is in place to help with actual food intake, but now I need to learn to not make food my go-to comfort thing.

I am so glad I got the band, and I know it will help me immensely. I am sort of upset by the prospect of not eating cupcakes, flour tortillas, and sandwiches ever again, but hopefully at the treatment center I will learn to make those not important to me. I am very much looking forward to full liquids and I will check in again soon!

I hope you all are all doing well!!

Much love from Tennessee,

Chloe'

(((((((((((((((Chloe))))))))))))))

Welcome new bandito. I'm so proud of you for going to a treatment center. There is an international organization that holds meetings "over the phone" 24x7 to talk about coping with food addictions and I must confess that more often than not I'm listening in when I need extra support.

I believe in you.

xo

Hey Chloe!

So glad all is well. I had a dream similar to yours, but I hadn't been banded yet. I was fasting for Lent, the whole 40 days straight, and I dreamt that I was eating a (delicious) ice cream sandwich. I remember feeling in my dream upset that I had broken the fast, but when I woke up I was so relieved, but real curious about dreaming about eating. One thing I noticed not only during that time, but also during the 21-day post-op liquid phase, was how many food commercials are on TV! I swear, it is like subliminal messaging. And do they make the food look juicier, richer, cheesier, and more chocolatey (sp?) on TV than it is in real life? It sure seems like it when you are only doing liquids. Anywho--so happy that you are on the other side of the decision part of this, and now are in the "action" phase. Take care, kid!

Tootsie---OH MY GOODNESS, they definitely digitally enhance food on TV! It looks INCREDIBLE. No wonder, in addition to other things, 66% of America is obese. We have addictions that are fed my our culture. Ya, strangely enough though, I have found looking at food in magazines a comfort, how weird is that? It's like eating what I see almost, haha. My mom thinks I'm torturing myself, but it makes me feel better; she laughed and said I can talk about that at the treatment center, I guess it doesn't sound too normal. Lol. Thank you!!

Wow, how interesting! I am so glad to hear how well things have turned out for you Chloe! Keep up the good work! I am getting banded next week and starting to think about lots of different things in regards to how I eat. Like you (and many others on here I am sure) I am a food addict...it is every bit as serious and hard to recover from like any other addiction...maybe even harder since we can't just give it up altogether!!

I wonder if I will dream of food too...I found that so interesting what you both said! I can see waking up in a panic worrying I ate something too soon!

This is such an amazing forum - learn so many valuable things on here and just to know so many others have walked this path is a great comfort!

Can't wait till I cross over and join you all in bandland!!!!

Jen! I am excited for you to join us bandsters. =D

Ya, the food addiction is the other half of the issue that we have to deal with. I've often asked why I couldn't be an alcoholic or something, so I can give it up indefinitely , but no such luck. If you get post-band and realize you need some extra support, the hotline like robbyn mentioned is good, and GUESS WHAT?!!?! There is also an OVER EATERS ANONYMOUS. Just like alcoholic, and narcotics, etc. Here's the website: http://www.oa.org/. You can find meetings in your city. I've gone to one meeting, but at the time I don't think I was ready to heal myself.

Good luck with your surgery! It will go so smoothly you'll be in shock, I know I was. The pain after is really not unbearable, and it almost feels like you've finally survived the food/weight battler with yourself. Let me know if you have any questions!

Also--suggestions for liquids-->I really enjoyed Vitamin Water's Lemonade. It's a really good flavor, 10 calories, and it's a nice break from broth. Red is right about the Special K Vitamin Water, you should be able to find it at your grocery store! I bought kiwi-strawberry juice that was a life save too, and find a sugar-free popsicle you enjoy. Some I don't like. (And I hate yogurt, so my two days of yogurt are slightly unpleasant.)

Take care.

Hey Chloe!

Glad to hear you are dealing nicely with everything. I'm on day 21 today! Yew Hew! I can eat food tomorrrow! I have found that the port pain lasted longer than anything. Bending forward would really aggravate it or sitting in a car for any length of time was bothersome too. But today all pain is pretty much gone with just a little tenderness at the port site. I hear that takes awhile to go away completely.

You know, I think of myself as a food addict too. I miss cheeseburgers and bread, pasta, bad carbs mostly. And I didn't eat those things all the time, but when I did, it was in very unrealistic portions compared to what other people ate. Eating that kind of stuff really filled some kind of weird void in myself that was such a comfort. I don't know what it was, really. Once I get restriction after a fill or two, I don't think I will give those foods a lot of thought because I will feel more full than I do now. I think the challenge for me will be to get through the time between tomorrow, solid food, and my first fill without over eating.

You sound like you are on the right track and have good support from your family and that is going to help you to succeed. You keep up the good work and good luck in San Diego! Your great attitude is going to make you successful on this journey!

Red

RED!! Hi =D

YAY!! 21 days of liquids done!! I feel like I will never reach that day, haha, but it's ok. I'm doing fine enough with starting full liquids. I can't wait for soup!

The next day after I wrote that post, my port pain was gone. Not totally, but I think I was just having a bad pain day. And I weight myself, I've lost 5.5 additional pounds in the first week. I'm already starting to feel better, health-wise. Crazy how it's working.

And agreed, the bad carbs are my issue too! Even now, knowing that breads, cakes, pastas, etc, don't go down well with a fill is literally stressing me out. They are my comfort foods, and hopefully the fill/band will make me not crave them, but who knows. I hope that's what happens for you. =) We need all power against "the Carbs" we can get.

And I think you'll be fine between those interim days. Really, cause I know that just knowing the band is there and I want to give myself ever shred of help to succeed, ya know?

So I think you'll be given a power you've never known; if not, then it's three weeks until a fill, and as long as you are generally careful, and eat small portions at a time, even if it's a lot, the band will be fine, and then you'll have your fill in no time.

I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Good luck.

Chloe'

(((((((((((((((Chloe))))))))))))))

Welcome new bandito. I'm so proud of you for going to a treatment center. There is an international organization that holds meetings "over the phone" 24x7 to talk about coping with food addictions and I must confess that more often than not I'm listening in when I need extra support.

I believe in you.

xo

Hey Robbyn,

That's very interesting, I've never heard over a phone support system. I don't really like talking on the phone, haha, but if in need, I might use it.

Also--I have no idea if you've heard about it or not, but there is actually an Over Eaters Anonymous. Their website is: www.oa.org. They have meetings in most cities.

It's pretty cool. It is a 12-step system, but I think it's another good place to get support.

Thank you for your well wishes. =) Take care!

-Chloe'

Red, you are just too sweet! I actually called a local body building shop here and they carry some (although I don't think it is Special K) so I will pick some up and give them a go.

Thanks so much again but I don't want to use yours up...I am sure the ones here will be fine :)

Thanks for that info Chloe! I can't believe this time next week I will be joining you all! This forum is just so wonderful, everyone on here is just so amazing and beautiful...I feel very lucky to have you all at my fingertips...finally people that really understand what it is to live with this addiction and in a world that is so unforgiving and judgmental!

I know my biggest challenge will be coming from my head...so many times I catch myself eating when I know full well I am not hungry...I am trying to be aware of this and stop it but I am not going to lie - it is stinking hard!

Thanks again to you all for being there...I am sure I will have all kinds of questions in the weeks to come!

Red, you are just too sweet! I actually called a local body building shop here and they carry some (although I don't think it is Special K) so I will pick some up and give them a go.

Thanks so much again but I don't want to use yours up...I am sure the ones here will be fine :)

Special K makes the bottled water but they also make a powder that you put in your own water. That's what I prefer. No prob, I can always get you some, just say the word!

RED!! Hi =D

YAY!! 21 days of liquids done!! I feel like I will never reach that day, haha, but it's ok. I'm doing fine enough with starting full liquids. I can't wait for soup!

The next day after I wrote that post, my port pain was gone. Not totally, but I think I was just having a bad pain day. And I weight myself, I've lost 5.5 additional pounds in the first week. I'm already starting to feel better, health-wise. Crazy how it's working.

And agreed, the bad carbs are my issue too! Even now, knowing that breads, cakes, pastas, etc, don't go down well with a fill is literally stressing me out. They are my comfort foods, and hopefully the fill/band will make me not crave them, but who knows. I hope that's what happens for you. =) We need all power against "the Carbs" we can get.

And I think you'll be fine between those interim days. Really, cause I know that just knowing the band is there and I want to give myself ever shred of help to succeed, ya know?

So I think you'll be given a power you've never known; if not, then it's three weeks until a fill, and as long as you are generally careful, and eat small portions at a time, even if it's a lot, the band will be fine, and then you'll have your fill in no time.

I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Good luck.

Chloe'

Thanks Chloe,

I had a tuna salad cup (good, 80 cals, Starkist) for lunch and then I had a dinner of grilled chicken strips, spinach salad and string beans. Everything went down so easily so I know I'm going to have to be super careful so I don't over eat. Thankfully next week I will be able to start swimming again for some exercise. I really need to have restriction so I'm longing to get my first fill!

Red