Help!!! I'm a failure already!!!

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. I had my surgery a few weeks ago. I had the best of intentions to use this surgery to start a new life for myself and to get healthy again. Within the first week of my post op I started cheating on my liquid diet by eating a little yogurt and pudding. After the second week I began eating whatever I wanted including pizza, fries, chips, etc. I don't feel any restriction or any discomfort whatsoever. I know this is wrong and that I am risking my recovery and future success, but I've let myself get out of control and I'm devastated. I got this surgery because I have a control problem when it comes to food. I also know that the band is after all just a tool and I should have more discipline--but I don't. I've scheduled my first fill for Sep 3rd and I hope in the meantime I can figure out a way to bring myself out of this destructive situation.

I could use some words of wisdom & encouragement right now because I feel like a failure.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. I had my surgery a few weeks ago. I had the best of intentions to use this surgery to start a new life for myself and to get healthy again. Within the first week of my post op I started cheating on my liquid diet by eating a little yogurt and pudding. After the second week I began eating whatever I wanted including pizza, fries, chips, etc. I don't feel any restriction or any discomfort whatsoever. I know this is wrong and that I am risking my recovery and future success, but I've let myself get out of control and I'm devastated. I got this surgery because I have a control problem when it comes to food. I also know that the band is after all just a tool and I should have more discipline--but I don't. I've scheduled my first fill for Sep 3rd and I hope in the meantime I can figure out a way to bring myself out of this destructive situation.

I could use some words of wisdom & encouragement right now because I feel like a failure.

PLEASE read this book:

Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully (Paperback)

by Robert Sewell M.D.

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Surgery-...7070&sr=8-7

Half the book is explaining how to reprogram yourself, adjusting to life AFTER the band ... it was a great read, and had tons of fantastic tools for self improvement.

PLEASE read this book:

Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band: Everything You Need to Know Before and After Surgery to Lose Weight Successfully (Paperback)

by Robert Sewell M.D.

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Surgery-...7070&sr=8-7

Half the book is explaining how to reprogram yourself, adjusting to life AFTER the band ... it was a great read, and had tons of fantastic tools for self improvement.

Thanks!

I don't have a lot of advice for you, but you need to dig deep and figure out why you are sabatoging yourself. See a counselor or something. For all the money I put into this band, I would hate to do something to it that would damage it. Now i'm not gonna lie I am not following the rules all the time, but I really try to as much as possible. It's tough, but you have to find it within yourself to get on track. I would love to have certain things, but I want my band and the weight loss more.

Good luck

(((((((((((((((((((((CatiE)))))))))))))))))))))))

Welcome to for boards. It took a bit of courage to write your post, and I'm proud of you for having the strength of mind to ask for help.

We all decided to get lapband for our reasons, but if you are anything like me, you decided to have the procedure because you had a tendoncy to over eat.

I can relate to your post, I broke several rules myself. I asked myself why and I came back to the same answer...that I was addicted to food.

It sounds pretty silly. I had a friend who sat me down and told me that the surgery would not cure mental hunger but I didn't understand what she meant until after I had the surgery myself.

I've joined a support group to help me with my mental hunger. And trust me, I need help. If you want more info, just send me a pm.

In the meantime hang in there. Don't beat yourself up. Do what you can and start to follow the rules the best you can starting now.

You came to the right place. I believe in you.

xo

Hi Catie and welcome!

First of all you are not a failure at least you are being honest with yourself and acknowledging that you are doing something wrong. I agree with Shelby, you need to step back and ask yourself why you made the choice to be banded in the first place. You did this, like you said for a change in your life. We all have bumps in the road, but we just have to take the bump and start over on a flat road. The food that you are eating, if you have to, take them out of your house, take it out. Stop and think of how devistated you would be if you slipped your band and had to have it removed. My advice to you would be, one that has helped me the most is... take it day by day. Ok today I am going to eat this and this and this,,and that is it! I have to do this alot, or I will find my mind wondering...

Read the post, ask questions, check out the photos. The people are this board are GREAT and very supportative. I promise we will help you as much as we can.

Good Luck and keep your head high, the more down you get about this, the more you will tend to go back to old habits. Remember ATTITUDE is everything!

Carrie

I don't have a lot of advice for you, but you need to dig deep and figure out why you are sabatoging yourself. See a counselor or something. For all the money I put into this band, I would hate to do something to it that would damage it. Now i'm not gonna lie I am not following the rules all the time, but I really try to as much as possible. It's tough, but you have to find it within yourself to get on track. I would love to have certain things, but I want my band and the weight loss more.

Good luck

Hi Shelby,

You're right. Thanks so much for being direct. I really want to succeed at this.

Cathy

Hi Catie and welcome!

First of all you are not a failure at least you are being honest with yourself and acknowledging that you are doing something wrong. I agree with Shelby, you need to step back and ask yourself why you made the choice to be banded in the first place. You did this, like you said for a change in your life. We all have bumps in the road, but we just have to take the bump and start over on a flat road. The food that you are eating, if you have to, take them out of your house, take it out. Stop and think of how devistated you would be if you slipped your band and had to have it removed. My advice to you would be, one that has helped me the most is... take it day by day. Ok today I am going to eat this and this and this,,and that is it! I have to do this alot, or I will find my mind wondering...

Read the post, ask questions, check out the photos. The people are this board are GREAT and very supportative. I promise we will help you as much as we can.

Good Luck and keep your head high, the more down you get about this, the more you will tend to go back to old habits. Remember ATTITUDE is everything!

Carrie

Thanks Carrie. I've been afraid to admit my failures with this, but by reaching out you guys have made me feel so much better. I have put myself back on track as of now.

Cathy

(((((((((((((((((((((CatiE)))))))))))))))))))))))

Welcome to for boards. It took a bit of courage to write your post, and I'm proud of you for having the strength of mind to ask for help.

We all decided to get lapband for our reasons, but if you are anything like me, you decided to have the procedure because you had a tendoncy to over eat.

I can relate to your post, I broke several rules myself. I asked myself why and I came back to the same answer...that I was addicted to food.

It sounds pretty silly. I had a friend who sat me down and told me that the surgery would not cure mental hunger but I didn't understand what she meant until after I had the surgery myself.

I've joined a support group to help me with my mental hunger. And trust me, I need help. If you want more info, just send me a pm.

In the meantime hang in there. Don't beat yourself up. Do what you can and start to follow the rules the best you can starting now.

You came to the right place. I believe in you.

xo

Thank you!

CatiE, sweetie,

I can understand where you are coming from. I was banded on July 21 and started on solids this week Tuesday. I know what you are going through. We have a band, but we don't have "restriction" so basically, nothing has changed for us, right? We are still living under the same situation we were prior to getting the band, because everything we eat goes down the same way it did before getting banded. Technically, we have no "tool" helping us with our hunger.

So, the way I'm trying to deal with it is, that I will try to eat healthy. If I have to eat more than I'm supposed to, I will make sure it is something healthy, preferably protein or veggies. I keep telling myself, once I get one or two fills, I won't be able to eat so much cuz if I do, it will come right back up. At least that is what I think will happen. Let's give ourselves a couple of months before we get paniced, right? Keep reaching out on the forum and call the OCC when we need reassurance. Everyone is here for us and wants us to be successful. We can do this CatiE!!

Red

Hi Shelby,

You're right. Thanks so much for being direct. I really want to succeed at this.

Cathy

No problem! Sometimes we don't like to hear it, but we need a good harsh kick in the ass sometimes. Especially early before you develop those habits long term. I know it is tough, but you CAN do it!!