Trying to Decide Before Leaving Tomorrow

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe I leave tomorrow morning for Mexico already!!! The time has really flown by!

So I pretty much have packing figured out but waffling on bringing my laptop or not. I am staying at the Lucerna and it says on their site they have free wireless internet. I am bringing it so I can easily stay in touch with my sons and dad - will be a lot cheaper to use the webcam than to call home...but the problem is that it is rather heavy.

My concern is in coming home and having to lug this thing along with my suitcase...how long of a walk is it to the border (it is my understanding the shuttle will drop us off and we walk to the border/customs)? If I am sore post surgery is it going to cause me more grief trying to haul everything back or not?

Anyone else bring their laptop? How did you find the walk - was it a hike?

Thanks as always for your 2 cents!

Bring your laptop.

It is not far to walk at all.

You will do great!

Have fun! Keep us posted!

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe I leave tomorrow morning for Mexico already!!! The time has really flown by!

So I pretty much have packing figured out but waffling on bringing my laptop or not. I am staying at the Lucerna and it says on their site they have free wireless internet. I am bringing it so I can easily stay in touch with my sons and dad - will be a lot cheaper to use the webcam than to call home...but the problem is that it is rather heavy.

My concern is in coming home and having to lug this thing along with my suitcase...how long of a walk is it to the border (it is my understanding the shuttle will drop us off and we walk to the border/customs)? If I am sore post surgery is it going to cause me more grief trying to haul everything back or not?

Thanks Angie! I will keep everyone in the loop for sure -big adventure for this Canuk that doesn't get to go too many places!! I am getting pretty excited now!

There are two computers in the lobby of the Lucerna and you can log on to email and stay in touch with home. I don't see the need to bring yours at all.

There is also one at the OCC in the recovery area near the nurses station you can use as well.

Less is best and the Lucerna is excellent.

Best to you ..the OCC is exeptional!

Labella

I took my laptop with me and If it was not for my Brother-In-Law carrying it for me , It would have been pretty hard. He carried it the walk across the boarder and in the Airport...etc....I have a 17" screen laptop, so its pretty big. The upside to having it was I did not have to leave my room. Anytime I wanted to chat, it was there. If I had to do it again and I was going by myself, I would not take it. Good Luck to you and keep us posted!

Carrie

I took mine too and it was really nice to just lay in bed and use the free wifi. In the Lucerna only like 3 of the TV stations are in English, so it saved me although it was fun watching Notre Dame football in Spanish!

My luggage is on wheels so the laptop was the only thing I was really carrying so I was OK, but I also had my mom to help when I needed it.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I took mine too and it was really nice to just lay in bed and use the free wifi. In the Lucerna only like 3 of the TV stations are in English, so it saved me although it was fun watching Notre Dame football in Spanish!

My luggage is on wheels so the laptop was the only thing I was really carrying so I was OK, but I also had my mom to help when I needed it.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I agree with you Shelby. I took mine and was so glad I did. I was by myself at the Marriott the day prior to surgery, so I didn't want to go out. I used it in the hotel room a lot, and you are right, there isn't anything on Mexican TV that I could watch. I also used it at the OCC. I had plenty of room in my suitcase for it so I put it in there for the trip home and didn't have to actually carry it. I drove down so didn't have to deal with the airport issues. Also, going across the border in the OCC van, we didn't have to get out and walk over. The van stopped and the guard dog sniffed all our luggage that was in the back of the van. Then we were on our way. Take it...you won't regret it! And good luck tomorrow!

Red

I would of been lost without mine! I am so glad I brought it. I went back to the hotel the same day of my surgery and loved being in my hotel room and not having to leave and use the one in the lobby.

I was able to stay in touch with friends and family.

Good Luck on your surgery, hope to hear from you soon.

Hi ladies, thanks so much for all of your opinions and advice, I really appreciate it! I actually found an HP Mini on sale yesterday and decided to buy it...my son can use it in university so it was a good excuse lol. It only weighs 2 pounds so it is super light and small so it will be great!

Well, I am all packed and just waiting for my mum and dad to pick me up...my mum is actually coming with me so I am really looking forward to having her company and spending time with her...we will be staying until the 22nd so it will be a nice little vacation for us.

Tomorrow we are going to hit Revolucion...I am a bit nervous (only taken a cab a couple times in my life and never done the bartering thing) but really excited to check it out! Mum and I are so sheltered it will be a real adventure hahahaha

I just want to say that you are all such an inspiration and I enjoy your "company" so much...you have really helped me over the last months in understanding this whole process and I know you will be invaluable once I "cross over"! I will definitley be staying in touch this week - hope I only have good things to report and mum and I don't get ourselves into trouble! lol

I cannot believe that in 2 days I will FINALLY be banded!!!! This has been an almost 2 year process (was supposed to have it done last September 8th but had to put it off due to health problems) - I think I am still kinda in denial...can't believe it is really going to happen!

Wahoooooo!!!!!!!! Talk to you ladies soon! :-h