ER Vist

On Wed. I was 12 day post op and feeling great. Most of my soreness gone and doing great of my liquid diet. Then driving home from wk. I had a stomach ache. The pain was in my lower stomach below my navel so i didn't think it wasn't related to the band. Well later that night I was having severe cramping, vomiting and I was literally howling in pain. We ended up in the emergency room where I had to explain what was going on including my recent banding 12 days ago. So now they are thinking ok she had a botch surgery in TJ. Those idiots I wanted to rip them apart. No one knew what to do with me, because no one had band experience. Five doctors later they finally find their band expert who finally told them he personally knew my doctor in TJ and that HE IS AN EXPERT W/ THE BAND. Can you believe???? So he tells them to check the band to make sure the vomiting hasn't moved it out of place (thank goodness is was still secure) then to give me anti nausea meds to prevent further vomiting.

Later they tell me I have some kind of stomach virus. Which is what I was trying to tell them from the begining, but they thought for sure I had a surgery gone wrong. Then of course to make money they tell me they have to admit me into the hospital. For a stomach virus??? I ask them why, they say they have to hydrate me and I tell them I can hydrate myself thanks and I get the heck out of there. It was the ER visit from hell. I contacted OCC the minute I got home, who told me to take some Mylanta or Malox and to drink plenty of Pedialyte to keep hydrated. They told me additional hospitalization would not be needed. Of course my body is already fairly weak from day 14 of my liquid diet so it's been harder to bounce back, but I'm plugging along.

Everyone rest assured that we have had surgery with the best. I felt AWSOME when the ER doctor told them who my doctor was and that his reputation was the best.

It certainly a reminder to everyone in that ER that you can't judge a book by its cover. :D

Oh my gosh, that sounds so scary - sorry you had to go through that!!! I am glad you are doing better now - take care!

Just wanted to say I'm glad you are ok!

I was banded on the 6th by Dr. Ortiz.

We might have even passed each other in the hotel or clinic lobby!

Get hydrated and maybe some liquid vitamins if your energy is down.

I'm feeling pretty dang energetic, myself.

Take care!

Aimme

Glad to hear that you found someone to help you. Another testament to Dr. Ortiz and how good he is. It must have felt good to hear it come from a doctors mouth in front of those other doctors, just to confirm what you had already felt in the beginning.

Anne

On Wed. I was 12 day post op and feeling great. Most of my soreness gone and doing great of my liquid diet. Then driving home from wk. I had a stomach ache. The pain was in my lower stomach below my navel so i didn't think it wasn't related to the band. Well later that night I was having severe cramping, vomiting and I was literally howling in pain. We ended up in the emergency room where I had to explain what was going on including my recent banding 12 days ago. So now they are thinking ok she had a botch surgery in TJ. Those idiots I wanted to rip them apart. No one knew what to do with me, because no one had band experience. Five doctors later they finally find their band expert who finally told them he personally knew my doctor in TJ and that HE IS AN EXPERT W/ THE BAND. Can you believe???? So he tells them to check the band to make sure the vomiting hasn't moved it out of place (thank goodness is was still secure) then to give me anti nausea meds to prevent further vomiting.

Later they tell me I have some kind of stomach virus. Which is what I was trying to tell them from the begining, but they thought for sure I had a surgery gone wrong. Then of course to make money they tell me they have to admit me into the hospital. For a stomach virus??? I ask them why, they say they have to hydrate me and I tell them I can hydrate myself thanks and I get the heck out of there. It was the ER visit from hell. I contacted OCC the minute I got home, who told me to take some Mylanta or Malox and to drink plenty of Pedialyte to keep hydrated. They told me additional hospitalization would not be needed. Of course my body is already fairly weak from day 14 of my liquid diet so it's been harder to bounce back, but I'm plugging along.

Everyone rest assured that we have had surgery with the best. I felt AWSOME when the ER doctor told them who my doctor was and that his reputation was the best.

It certainly a reminder to everyone in that ER that you can't judge a book by its cover. :D

So sorry to hear about the nightmare...but don't you just love Dr. O and his reputation?