Will I really lose weight with a band?

I know you have heard it before, but here it goes again.

I weigh 280lbs and am planning on getting banded. The thing is, I really dont eat that much more than I should. I dont go out to eat, dont do takeout, eat grilled fish several times a week, no pasta, no potatoes, limited brown rice.

I am concerned that I will get banded, and then not lose much weight. This is keeping me from making the final commitment.

Am I just jaded from too many diet attempts?

I weigh 280lbs and am planning on getting banded. The thing is, I really dont eat that much more than I should. I dont go out to eat, dont do takeout, eat grilled fish several times a week, no pasta, no potatoes, limited brown rice.

I am concerned that I will get banded, and then not lose much weight. This is keeping me from making the final commitment.

I guess you really have to think about why it is you struggle with your weight. I too did not eat much but I did eat a lot of the wrong foods. I put on a lot of weight due to going out drinking with my friends and late night eating. I have changed that and have lost 50lbs in 4 1/2 months.

I ate very little before being banded - or so I thought. All of my exes could never understand why I had weight issues and would often tell me "You eat like a bird! How can you be overweight?!?" I must have been getting a lot of calories from a bite of food here and there - all the grazing that goes on during the day... because since I've been banded, I've lost almost 70 lb. (I'm 1 lb. away from my goal weight).

Yes, you will lose weight. It might be slower than other people (it's taken me almost 18 months to get here!), but it will happen.

I ate very little before being banded - or so I thought. All of my exes could never understand why I had weight issues and would often tell me "You eat like a bird! How can you be overweight?!?" I must have been getting a lot of calories from a bite of food here and there - all the grazing that goes on during the day... because since I've been banded, I've lost almost 70 lb. (I'm 1 lb. away from my goal weight).

Yes, you will lose weight. It might be slower than other people (it's taken me almost 18 months to get here!), but it will happen.

Thats awesome!

Congrats to you for being 1# away from your goal!

dawns

WHY DO YOU THINK YOUR OVERWEIGHT THEN?

MY PROBLEM WAS I'D ONLY EAT ONE HUGE A#@ MEAL A DAY INSTEAD OF SEVERAL SMALLER MEALS. I NEVER KNEW WHAT SATISFIED MEANT, WENT RIGHT ON BY THAT TO STUFFED

same here - I would be too busy all day to eat...then would eat supper. Once in awhile Id pig out - but rarely. Well ;- my doctor said the little bit that I am eating just got stored as fat. The band forces me to eat my small meals during the day - since I cant have one larger one later. Honestly though - it keeps me aware of what I am doing. I am 3 lbs away from goal. ;)

If you follow all of the rules and exercise, you will lose weight. Whether or not you will lose ALL of the excess weight that you want to lose will depend upon how committed YOU are to your lifestyle changes.

In the world of weight loss surgery studies, a good result is a loss of at least half of your excess weight and a reduction in obesity related health problems. Our own expectations may differ considerably though. There are just so many personal factors involved in your question that really no one can answer it for you. It all depends on you and on your personal goals. How you define your success. Some people would be happy to lose 50 of the 75 pounds that they needed to lose and others could lose 100 pounds and still be unsatisfied and unhappy because they think they need to lose 15 more. We all come into this with a different perspective on what success is and we are all going to go about achieving our goals in our own individual ways. No two people are going to "manage the lapband" the same way.

People do gain weight back after lapband surgery just like other weight loss surgeries. You can cheat with a lapband. People do plateau. Some people never get fills and fail to use their lapband in that respect. Some people do not follow the rules. I DO NOT consider this as a lapband NOT working but as a lapband patient NOT working/using their lapband the way it was intended. The lapband will not fail, the lapband patient can and may fail to utilize their tool or even abuse their tool until it has to be removed or is rendered useless. And, of course, their will always be a certain small percentage of people who may reject the band through no fault of their own. This is a rare complication!

In my opinion, the lapband will work if it is cared for properly and used as instructed.

Dawn

Thanks so much :) You completely answered my question :)

If you follow all of the rules and exercise, you will lose weight. Whether or not you will lose ALL of the excess weight that you want to lose will depend upon how committed YOU are to your lifestyle changes.

In the world of weight loss surgery studies, a good result is a loss of at least half of your excess weight and a reduction in obesity related health problems. Our own expectations may differ considerably though. There are just so many personal factors involved in your question that really no one can answer it for you. It all depends on you and on your personal goals. How you define your success. Some people would be happy to lose 50 of the 75 pounds that they needed to lose and others could lose 100 pounds and still be unsatisfied and unhappy because they think they need to lose 15 more. We all come into this with a different perspective on what success is and we are all going to go about achieving our goals in our own individual ways. No two people are going to "manage the lapband" the same way.

People do gain weight back after lapband surgery just like other weight loss surgeries. You can cheat with a lapband. People do plateau. Some people never get fills and fail to use their lapband in that respect. Some people do not follow the rules. I DO NOT consider this as a lapband NOT working but as a lapband patient NOT working/using their lapband the way it was intended. The lapband will not fail, the lapband patient can and may fail to utilize their tool or even abuse their tool until it has to be removed or is rendered useless. And, of course, their will always be a certain small percentage of people who may reject the band through no fault of their own. This is a rare complication!

In my opinion, the lapband will work if it is cared for properly and used as instructed.

Dawn