Overfilled... I like it!

I'm sure you will all think I'm crazy... but I am most certainly overfilled and I am most certainly NOT going for an unfill. The first few days were hell.. I was sliming at night.. I couldn't pass any liquids until lunch time and forget food. It's gotten a little better. It's been 2 weeks and I can drink slow in the morning and by 7pm I can have a few bites of mushy vegetables.

I take my vitamins.

I drink my protein.

I do not miss the food at all!

I feel wonderful!

So, is that so bad? I know the purpose of the band is food and not liquids but I'm enjoying the liquids and loving the weight loss!

Is there any harm?

Thanks!!

Hi

Sorry to burst your bubble ,but yes harm can be done to your band. Liquids will stretch your pouch if you are too tight; it happen to me twice, resulting in complete unfills.

Also my band always tightens when its TOM and I couldn't even drink a protein drink without trouble.

Please be careful.

Hi

Sorry to burst your bubble ,but yes harm can be done to your band. Liquids will stretch your pouch if you are too tight; it happen to me twice, resulting in complete unfills.

Also my band always tightens when its TOM and I couldn't even drink a protein drink without trouble.

Please be careful.

I too Agree with Nicole. It is very dangerous to be too tight. The weight loss may be great right now, but the damage that you could do in the long run is not worth it. Please do some research on this subject.

Take Care

Carrie

You made goal thats wonderful! Way to go! Thanks for the TOM warning.. I'm hoping it won't be so bad. So, the doctor said since we have so much internal organ fat that when we lose weight the band loosens.. so I'm thinking I will continue to be able to add solids earlier in the day as I continue to lose. That was my thought process.

I also read too too many threads with no restriction complaints... I don't want that either! I'm loving this restriction and the solid food restriction. Don't get me wrong.. I can eat egg drop soup and tomato soup.. some veggies so I'm doing ok wih calories. I'm not over stuffing myself with liquids either. I let the band tell me how much I can have and when I can have it.

I'm sure you will all think I'm crazy... but I am most certainly overfilled and I am most certainly NOT going for an unfill. The first few days were hell.. I was sliming at night.. I couldn't pass any liquids until lunch time and forget food. It's gotten a little better. It's been 2 weeks and I can drink slow in the morning and by 7pm I can have a few bites of mushy vegetables.

I take my vitamins.

I drink my protein.

I feel wonderful!

So, is that so bad? I know the purpose of the band is food and not liquids but I'm enjoying the liquids and loving the weight loss!

Is there any harm?

Thanks!!

Hi Karen0604. I can see why you feel the way you do about the level of restriction. As the sweet spot can be something most of us have to dial into. I myself have had 3 fills and I have restriction, but I do not believe I am at my "sweet spot" if that makes sense. We all want to jump start our weight loss, but we want to be safe about it. Being to tight is a gamble. Something swells you may cause your band to slip.

I am not the bands poster child. I have made mistakes, cheated when I was not suppose to and made poor decisions. So, that being said, I would like to say, please be careful. One of my friends has her band slip and it is not fun to say the least. She had her band removed and now has another one in place, but the entire event was very hard on her. I've copied some liturature for you to read below.

The LAP-BAND® “Sweet Spot” — How tight is too tight?

The adjustable LAP-BAND® allows doctors to tighten or loosen the amount of stomach restriction based on the patient’s individual needs and weight-loss progress. There has been much discussion about the LAP-BAND “sweet spot,” that point in the continuum of fills where the Band is filled just right. Since the Band’s function is to satisfy hunger, finding the ideal sweet spot will also help patients feel fuller faster.

Finding the Sweet Spot

There are many methods to find the sweet spot. For example, one method is to fill the band until the patient feels a slight amount of resistance to the flow of water when drinking. The Band is set so that anything ingested meets resistance, and the pouch fills with even water. The problem here is that there is very little room for error and even the slightest amount of swelling can create more resistance. The pouch emptying against severe resistance may ultimately lead to slippage.

At Lap Band Rockies, Dr. Kirshenbaum’s preferred approach is to fill until resistance is just met and then reduce the fill by a very small amount. Thus, water can pass through the Band without any resistance and anything thicker than water, which is essentially everything else, will meet some resistance.

Why Tighter is Not Always Better

Contrary to popular belief, a tighter band does not necessarily translate into better results. In fact, a Band that is too restrictive may actually hinder the weight loss. Filling the Band tighter than the sweet spot is counter-productive because the patient then cannot tolerate solid foods (especially high-protein meats) that won’t pass through the Band. The patient must resort to mushy and liquid high-calorie calories that tend to pass too quickly, failing to produce sustained fullness and satisfy hunger. Ideally, the Band should be loose enough to eat a small amount of most meats.

What You Can Do to Promote Efficiency

The LAP-BAND® is a tool. Used properly, this tool is most efficient when hunger is satisfied. When the sweet spot is reached, solid foods will stay in the pouch the longest, mushy foods will pass through more easily and liquids will pass through quickly.

To improve efficiency, patients can stop drinking about 10 minutes before eating, eat solid food and restrain from ingesting liquids for 30 minutes. In this way, the patient enjoys fullness for 30 additional minutes without any extra calories.

Patients should also avoid eating “empty” calories (alcohol, ice cream, etc.) which promote inefficiency. Keep in mind: calories that pass through the Band without satisfying hunger are useless.

Also remember that eating too fast can mask the sensation of early fullness and result in distress or even pain.

Talk to an Experienced LAP

I take my vitamins.

I drink my protein.

I feel wonderful!

Is there any harm?

Thanks!!

WHAT'S THE HARM?

TWO PEOPLE I KNOW THOUGHT THIS SAME THING, BOTH WERE BANDED AT THE OCC, BOTH LOST THEIR BANDS :(

THAT'S THE HARM

WHAT'S THE HARM?

TWO PEOPLE I KNOW THOUGHT THIS SAME THING, BOTH WERE BANDED AT THE OCC, BOTH LOST THEIR BANDS :(

THAT'S THE HARM

Bingo! I'll throw a third into that ring. He lost his band because he was too tight and within six months gained back all the weight he'd lost. Statistically those who lose their bands have a much diminished chance of success the second time around.

Alternatively - look around the forum for the girl who had to have the majority of her stomach surgically removed because she was too tight. OCC has also done plenty of emergency surgeries from people whose lives were in danger. There was a news story posted on the forum a few months ago about a woman who had died because she ignored the signs her body was giving her that something wasn't right.

You'll find plenty more horror stories around from people who were too tight and exhibited the same attitude of "Hey, what's the harm? I'm losing weight" right before reality came crashing in on them in dangerous and expensive ways.

The thing is that a too tight band can quickly turn into an emergency and lost band. When the band isn't too tight you have "wiggle' room if you swell with your period or get a little inflammation, or something. It can also cause spasms, gastric reflux which can cause esophogeal ulcers, and a too tight band can cause slippage, erosion, or stretching of the pouch. In the long run you will not lose more weight as you will be "drinking" your calories and defeating the purpose of the band.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the advise. I emailed my fill Dr. with the all concerns and warnings you all shared with me. Also my weight loss. I think there is a small difference between being a little overfilled and being too tight. I'm going to let my dr. decide. I'm not sliming, or throwing up. I'm not in pain. I can eat a whole can of tomato or vegetable soup and/or veggies. I'm not up at night sliming anymore. I'm sure I am overfilled but I'm not sure that I'm too tight and in danger.

Thank you thank you everytone for the suport. I will let you know what my dr. says!!!

Dr. said I'm good. As long as I'm passing mushy foods and theres no heartburn, pain, vomiting, irritation, sliming, etc. then there is no need to rush in for an unfill. He said that he will see me right away if I get any symptoms. He said I will loosen in the next week or so because I will lose organ fat and I should be able to add more food. Thanks everyone.. I'm proceeding with caution... :)

i noticed your very first fill was 2.cc's .. which is the most i've EVER seen for a 1st fill 'round.

out of curiosity, who's your doctor advising you with the fills?

FOR MY FIRST FILL I GOT 1.8 AT THE OCC AND THEY SAID I COULD HAVE GONE TO 2.0 BUT I WAS THE ONE THAT SAID NO THANKS, NOT UNTIL I FIGURE THIS BAND THING OUT FIRST LOL

I WAS WONDERING NICOLE ABOUT BEING ON MUCHIES. HOW LONG DOES YOUR DR HAVE YOU ON THEM FOR? I'VE HEARD TWO WEEKS EARLY ON BY A FEW DR'S, I KNOW NOT THE OCC, BUT AFTER THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT.

WHEN I WAS BANDED AT THE OCC THE GENERAL PHILOSOPHY WAS TO TRY AND LEARN GOOD HEALTHY EATING HABITS THAT FIRST 18 MONTHS AND AVOID MUSHIES

My first fill was 2.7 cc's! Crazy I know but it was done under Fluoro.. His name is Dr. Lee through fill centers USA. He fills you until he sees how long it takes the liquids to pass through the pouch.. for my second fill he only filled me until I felt the restriction with water.. then he backs liquid out to make sure I could drink it and pass it with ease.. he made me drink 2 cups to be safe. He has been doing fills a long time and is wonderful. He responded right away to my questions today.

I take my vitamins.

I drink my protein.

I feel wonderful!

Is there any harm?

Thanks!!

I have been watching and waiting for the full-on "critic" force to come out :)

*the monthly thing (nothing and will go away quickly)

*try camping OR vacationing - when you cannot eat normally (or do not with P-shakes)...then you are sliming your plain ice tea (very nice in front of friends)

*parties - when you are excited and happy to be there and are spending half your time running to a dark corner or bathroom to slime or regurgitate you drink or food up.

Be safe, know what to look for and follow the guidelines. My 3rd fill took me 3 weeks to work through, but I do not regret it a bit.

Everyone is different. My first fill was nothing, second nothing.

thoughts are with you

I am glad you are working with your doctor. That makes me feel better. I think I tend to be leary with tight fills because my friend who lost her first band put the fear of GOD in me about it.

Glad you got some good feedback too. I learn so much from posts. The posts I like the best are the ones that have many different points of view.

:D

i noticed your very first fill was 2.7cc's .. which is the most i've EVER seen for a 1st fill 'round.

out of curiosity, who's your doctor advising you with the fills?

People with the larger sized VG band typically get larger fills. My first 2 fills were 3 cc's each with no restriction whatsoever. I am now at 10 cc's and have my first true feeling of restriction. It too over a year for me, but I am not a typical band case. Yes, by the OCC.

People with the larger sized VG band typically get larger fills. My first 2 fills were 3 cc's each with no restriction whatsoever. I am now at 10 cc's and have my first true feeling of restriction. It too over a year for me, but I am not a typical band case. Yes, by the OCC.

Mona - Glad the scale is moving for ya! That stinks big time that it took you that long to reach a good level of restriction. My last fill which was my 3rd finally gave me something to work with! I was soo happy. It really burst my bubble when the scale was not moving, or crawling at a snails pace. Plus the added pressure from all the people I have told. Anyway, this is the first time when I can see the scale moving at a speedy pace. Glad for it too!

I hit the 250 mark! I see you are lower than 250!

FOR MY FIRST FILL I GOT 1.8 AT THE OCC AND THEY SAID I COULD HAVE GONE TO 2.0 BUT I WAS THE ONE THAT SAID NO THANKS, NOT UNTIL I FIGURE THIS BAND THING OUT FIRST LOL

I WAS WONDERING NICOLE ABOUT BEING ON MUCHIES. HOW LONG DOES YOUR DR HAVE YOU ON THEM FOR? I'VE HEARD TWO WEEKS EARLY ON BY A FEW DR'S, I KNOW NOT THE OCC, BUT AFTER THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT.

WHEN I WAS BANDED AT THE OCC THE GENERAL PHILOSOPHY WAS TO TRY AND LEARN GOOD HEALTHY EATING HABITS THAT FIRST 18 MONTHS AND AVOID MUSHIES

Hi Pammie,

I'm basically on fluids as I throw up everytime I try to eat solids even a cracker, which has caused swelling. I have not slipped but the Dr is concerned and wants to take it out. I see him again at the end of the month to make a decision.

Hi Pammie,

I'm basically on fluids as I throw up everytime I try to eat solids even a cracker, which has caused swelling. I have not slipped but the Dr is concerned and wants to take it out. I see him again at the end of the month to make a decision.

EEEECK, I'M SO SORRY NICOLE :( PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED.

HOPING AND PRAYING ALL HEALS FOR YA AND NO SURGERY!!! :)

Hi Pammie,

gosh Nicole, that sucks bigtime

can you get back to the OCC? or are you working with a canadian doctor?

Hi Pammie,

I am hoping for the best outcome. I hope you don't loose your band.

Hi

I am actually seeing the bariatic surgeon here in Calgary as I can afford to travel to OCC and have to pay if they take the band out.

Unfotunately I feel so bad at the moment between not being able to nourish my body properly and constant reflux especially at night,

I think I may welcome the option of having it taken out. When they mentioned it at my last appt I was thinking noway But I can't live like this.

I hope things do work out But we'll see.

Nicole,

I am so sorry to hear about your trouble. I can completely sympathize with you. I was too tight for just a few weeks and with the acid reflux and the lack of sleep and nourishment and hydration, it did get old fast. I was ready to have it out if it could not be fixed. Lucky for me the swelling went down right away. And, you have been fighting this for way longer than I can even imagine putting up with. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and that you can save your band. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.

Dawn