Another Mexican surgery story (or rumor)

One of the nurses I work with freaked out when I told her I'm going to Mexico for the surgery. She says she knows someone who got fills over and over until 8cc was put in. They did an x-ray and found out that there was a port and tubing, but no band. Do any of you believe this???

One of the nurses I work with freaked out when I told her I'm going to Mexico for the surgery. She says she knows someone who got fills over and over until 8cc was put in. They did an x-ray and found out that there was a port and tubing, but no band. Do any of you believe this???

no.

JESUS LOL NO

If she's just generalizing and saying "in Mexico", you can generalize and say just in the "States". (Remember Pricilla Presley had bad plastic surgery in the States) http://www.bittenandbound.com/2008/03/26/p...ghtmare-photos/

You can generalize about any Country, but the truth is you need to do your homework. There’s a reason why Dr. Ortiz has proctored so many Doctors in the States and throughout the world. He’s one of the best. Be smart – do your homework – don’t listen to stupid people who “generalize” about one Country. (The truth is – they are pretty ignorant…) But you owe it to yourself to check out who you are going to for surgery, do your homework. I did, that's why I went to Dr. Ortiz.

I would ask your friend who is a nurse for more specific information. It is really easy to say, "they" this or that. Sense she knows the person, maybe you could talk to her, see where she went? I am a bit skeptical of information when it is generalized.

There are cheaper surgeons in Mexico, and being a self pay, I was looking for the "best bang for my buck" so to speak. I choose to pay more and go to the best. You can decided for yourself, once you have the facts.

She probably believes in the blood sucking goat myth too!

Don't joke about El Chupacabra - that's real! But I hear he prefers the Marriott to the Lucerna, so I'll be alright... :P But, seriously - the "no lap band, just a port" story has the ring of an urban legend to me. I'd be interested to hear if she actually knows the person, or if it happened to "a friend of a friend."

!Viva Chupacabra!

I wish I could check snopes.com to see if it's an urban legend. LOL. I might just ask this nurse for more details. Then again, I've got so much on my plate right now (cheap lap band humor!) that I probably won't bother.

At any rate, I have done my research and Dr. Ortiz is The Man, The Bomb.

that story sounds ridiculous to me...especially since you can see the band during your fills with the fluoro. I can't even imagine that happening. My experience was Dr. Ortiz and his staff was the best I have ever had...anywhere.

Don't joke about El Chupacabra - that's real! But I hear he prefers the Marriott to the Lucerna, so I'll be alright... :P But, seriously - the "no lap band, just a port" story has the ring of an urban legend to me. I'd be interested to hear if she actually knows the person, or if it happened to "a friend of a friend."

LOL check out this video clip...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2...chupacabra.KSAT

Let me offer this...

This forum is composed of hundreds of people who have had successful surgery in Mexico, particularly with Dr. Ortiz and his staff. When you get a fill, the saline that is currently in the band is drawn out to see how much is in there and then additional saline is added. So if your example really happened, the doctor would pull out blood instead of saline, as the needle would be going directly into the body, not a port. I take it that didn't happen. I would urge you not to let people get you worked up. Who are you going to listen to, the doomsdayers or the people that have actually gone and had it done? Rest assured, you will be taken very good care of by Dr. Ortiz.

not every doctor withdraws the saline before a fill. some doctors feel this is risking infection more than just adding saline.

The "port without a band"story has been around a while. There are disreputable surgeons in Mexico, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised there is some basis in fact for this story. There are some really incredible horror stories about some mexican surgeons, and they have been corroborrated.

My daughter, my husband, and I are all banded by Dr Ortiz, and very successfully. I think we have lost a total of about 260 lb among the three of us since surgery. I went from a size 22 to a size 6/8. I'm two years past surgery and doing very well, thank you.

I bet you could find some US surgeon horror stories if you looked. So let the buyer beware. But I recommend Dr Ortiz to anyone who asks. My insurance would have covered my surgery in the US so I could have stayed around home for it, but I chose Dr Ortiz after seeing my daughter's great experience in his clinic. (My insurance paid for my surgery there too, by the way.)

:rolleyes:

Oh, AngieB - that is one hideous animal! Wow - and Snowbird, that's awesome that your insurance paid for Dr. Ortiz! If you don't mind my asking, who do you have?

- Deena

What I want t know is did she loose any weight ??? HAHA Anything is possible.

Because my port fliped The DR here is saying once it flips t will flip again. Who knows!

Mickie in Omaha

Oh, AngieB - that is one hideous animal! Wow - and Snowbird, that's awesome that your insurance paid for Dr. Ortiz! If you don't mind my asking, who do you have?

- Deena

Sorry for the delay; I've had company all week.

My husband and I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employees. They told us they didn't care where we had the surgery, it was covered. It paid for all but about $200, as I recall.

Priscilla Presley now drag queen (nice pics Lisal *shudder) and blood sucking goats...LOL :lol:

I cannot remember laughing so hard!

I have never heard that rumor before. My aunt who IS a nurse went with me to surgery and stated that the OCC was the cleanest facility she has seen or been in. She has been an RN in Washington State for 21 years. Tell that to your friend.

Priscilla Presley now drag queen (nice pics Lisal *shudder) and blood sucking goats...LOL :lol:

I cannot remember laughing so hard!

I have never heard that rumor before. My aunt who IS a nurse went with me to surgery and stated that the OCC was the cleanest facility she has seen or been in. She has been an RN in Washington State for 21 years. Tell that to your friend.

I am also a nurse and I have to agree!!!! It was as clean and as professional as any of the hospitals I have been in here in the states!