Fill frustrations

Ruthy

I am getting frustrated and I don't know if it is because I have the Realize band or a doctor who is too nervous to give me a "Real fill". Here's what's happening:

I was banded on July 3rd with Dr. Ortiz 9cc REalize band.

Had my first fill August 16 with a local doctor. He does use fluoro and has a great rep, so I figured he would be able to give me good restriction. 5cc's later, nothing. No restriction, no problem with any type a food. I wasn't too worried, so I made an appointment for my second fill.

Second fill is another 2cc's. Again, nothing. I can still eat pretty close to the my pre surgery portion sizes. This tells me my doctor is either very conservative on my fills or my band has a leak :)

Doesn't 5cc's seem like a small amount? It has been two months since my surgery and I have only lost 12 pounds (which was all in my liquid diet stage). I don't know whether to cry or go postal on my doctor until he really fills me up.

Help. Anyone else have a Realize band?

P.S. My husband is starting to doubt this whole "investment" too. I didn't have insurance.

I am so sorry to hear of your frustrations....Does your doctor do the barium like the OCC shows in their videos? To me, that seems to be the key, and having someone experienced watch the barium flow through the band, etc.

I watched this today, and found it pretty informational!

I am getting frustrated and I don't know if it is because I have the Realize band or a doctor who is too nervous to give me a "Real fill". Here's what's happening:

Had my first fill August 16 with a local doctor. He does use fluoro and has a great rep, so I figured he would be able to give me good restriction. 5cc's later, nothing. No restriction, no problem with any type a food. I wasn't too worried, so I made an appointment for my second fill.

Second fill is another 2cc's. Again, nothing. I can still eat pretty close to the my pre surgery portion sizes. This tells me my doctor is either very conservative on my fills or my band has a leak :)

Doesn't 5cc's seem like a small amount? It has been two months since my surgery and I have only lost 12 pounds (which was all in my liquid diet stage). I don't know whether to cry or go postal on my doctor until he really fills me up.

P.S. My husband is starting to doubt this whole "investment" too. I didn't have insurance.

I was also banded at OCC I have a band that holds 10cc called the vg band and I have 5.8cc in it and it has really

helped me I will be going for another fill this week so maybe you should give your fills a chance I do know that everybody

different I really try and make good food choich but this band for me is a tool so I can't depend on it I have to work

with this band

5 cc's is about where I was two months after the surgery, so I would say you are about right. I do agree with the barium swallow idea. My doctor now does my fills while I am standing up so that we can watch the barium at the same time and know when I really have restriction. You might mention this to your doctor and see if it would be an option. I also lost about 13 pounds on the liquid stage and then after that I lost 5-6 pounds each month maximum and was not one of the those individuals that lost large amounts each month.

I'm coming up on 2 months since being banded and have an 11cc Realize band. My first fill at the OCC was 4cc's and that was the beginning of this month. Like you, I lost 12lbs during the 21 day liquids after surgery, but gained 2 back when I went to solids. I have not lost any weight since, but I am down 1 size. I don't really have a lot of restriction yet, but I control what I eat and make a real effort to put the fork down, even though I want to keep eating. I think it is too soon for you to decide that this has been a bad investment. I believe if we stick to the plan, try to eat about a third of what we ate before, don't drink liquids with meals, drink your water, move..get some kind of exercise, avoid drinking calories (like alcohol) and set realistic goals and expectations, the weight will come off. We have to work with the band, not against it. I wish you well...

Red

My husband started to doubt this investment too. If you look at my stats.. you would see why. It wasnt until this last fill that I got restriction. I think the hardest for me at the beginning was not drinking with my meals. Once i got over that by getting something stuck and thinking fluids would help it go down... I never drank with my meals again.

I remember the OCC saying " dont worry about the numbers, what works for one does not work for the other"

Just keep moving forward... its great when you get restriction and realize that you are actually going to do this and lose wt.

Hang in there! I believe this period is referred to as part of "Bandster Hell" as well. I am going for my 4th fill at the endish of the month. Currently I have 1.6 in my band. When I go in, I will ask them to take all the fluid out and add it back in plus my new amount on top of that. This time, I am going to ask to be sat more upright before drinking the barium as well. (Since I eat and drink in an upright position.) They do tilt ya up, just not enough. I would like this fill to be it for a while since I am shelling out a good portion of cash'o'la!

Don't quit before you get started, this is a process. A slow process. I have lost 30lbs so far. Those lbs I am so happy to say good riddins too! Cya! Get lost! You will see some good results, hang in there, let your stoma adjust to the zip tie and allow this process the time it needs to work. Once it does you will be one happy camper.

On a side note, I understand the pressure you feel with the not so good results/investment. I am a HUGE teller so I have a few critics. The people I am not loosing weight fast enough for. I have to know for myself why I did this. So far I am very pleased with the outcome and I have only begun.

My binge eating has changed drasticly, I am eating smaller portions, my cloths feel roomy and my complection is clearer. I drink more water....everyday at least 60 oz!!!! I love it!

Right now is a tough time. Stay focused on the none scale victories and you will be pleasantly suprised!

The reason they cannot fill you up 'to the top' with the band is because even the slightest fill will cause swelling to your stomach. If they fill you up too fast with too much you will simply swell shut and not even be able to take in water. Thats is why it always takes a few fills til they get it right. And, with the larger band it can take much longer.

I don't mean to scare you, but we are ALL different. I have the VG 10 cc band and it has only now just given me true restriction like everyone else has. I have had 8 fills and have a total of 10 cc's in me. And yes, several were done at OCC and under fluro. And I have been banded a year and a half. So, for me, I was on the verge of giving up. But, now sinece my last fill last month, I feel like I hear everyone else. Cannot eat until afternoon, tiny bites and chew to smitherines. And it took a year and a half.

Please don't get discouraged and understand that I am an unusual case. I am the only one my doctors have ever heard of needing 10 cc's, but thats where I am. The weight is still coming off slowly, but FINALLY the scale is moving. I don't want you to think you will take forever like me, just trying to show you how different we all are and the reasons why you can't get filled to the brim too fast.

Good luck and no matter what, don't give up!