pre-op diet

Hey peeps,

I am on day 6 of the pre-op diet and I woke up in the middle of the night wishing for a bean burrito with hot salsa. I am hungry almost all of the time. I've never thought about food so much! Did any of you go through this?

I am down about 6 pounds, which is half of what they want me to do.

Bean burrito............

Margaret

Hang in there! The middle of the night was THE WORST for me!! Plus, I was mentally going a little crazy, feeling like I had a to taste a certain food one more time before the 21 day liquid diet!! (I'm LOVE mexican food!!!) I'll tell you though... I cheated early on in my pre-op diet thinking I could make it up, and one meal made me gain 2 lbs! I know it's a lot of water weight that makes me gain so fast, but still. Hang in there!! You can do & and you'll feel GREAT and EMPOWERED that you were able to!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! ;)

I was concerned about being hungry on the two shakes and a lean cuisine option, which is why I decided to do option #1, which is Atkins induction for three weeks. I felt it was a good option because the diet puts you in ketosis which gives you lots of energy and virtually no appetite. I have taken Phen Fen in the past, and, in my opinion, being in ketosis is very similar appetite-wise. But the big question - does it work? For me, yes - the weight comes flying off if I keep the carbs under 20 grams a day. Last night I had a taco salad (no shell or beans) and a non-breaded chile relleno for dinner and still lost weight this morning. In fact, I've been averaging about a pound down a day. I've lost 8 lbs so far, out of the 12 that I'm supposed to lose (and I have had a few slip-ups too - last weekend, in particular, was very bad). Also, ketogenic diets deplete the liver of glycogen, making it nice and small for your surgery (just what you need) So, if the hunger is really getting to you, you might want to switch to this option. I'm not knocking the 2-shakes and a Lean Cuisine option, because I know it works very well for lots of folks. I was worried about the hunger on that # of calories each day, though, so I decided on Atkins instead. You can find all the info you need in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution or this website:

http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPhases/W...eFoodsList.aspx

Good luck!

Best of luck to you - I know this pre-op diet is tough for everybody. Lots of people say it's worse than the three weeks of liquids post-op (which I'm sooooo hoping to be true!) If you do decide to do Atkins, I have a few pieces of advice for you - sometimes the first day or two can be tough, particularly if you've had a lot of simple carbs and sugars lately. It's almost like a detox period and people say they get tired, headache-y, etc. I don't, usually, but I just want to give you as much info as I possibly can. Once you get into ketosis, though, you won't believe how much energy you will have. Second bit of advice - don't be afraid to consume fat. I know it is so anti-intuitive after so many years of low-fat dieting, but it will help you sooooo much with the hunger. Seriously, I am probably consuming about 80 grams of fat a day and I'm losing about a pound a day. At first that felt so weird, until I realized how well it worked. I'd reccomend starting the day with a nice cheesy omelet with some veggies (or full-fat pepperoni and mozarella is one of my faves) - you will not even think about food until at least 2 pm - lol. In this case, fat is your friend. Also, if this is the first time you've low-carbed, you won't believe how fast the weight will come off (us old-time low-carbers even have a name for it - we call it the "golden shot" - because it's the one shot you get to lose weight super-fast, if you were to gain it back and then low-carb again - like me - it's not nearly as fast. Again, good luck to you - this too shall pass, right? :)

You can also ask Dr. Miranda if you can make your own meal once per day instead of Lean Cuisine. I did this and just followed the grams of fat/cals/protein she said I should limit the meal to, and found I was able to eat laregr portions than a Lean Cuisine which satisfied me more! Back then, a Lean Cusine was like an appetizer. Now it's more than enough.

Sabrina:)

I am also doing pre-op and I read in a couple of places on this forum about Benefiber. It really works to fill me up. The serving is 1 tablespoon, but my body couldn't handle that very well. So now I do a teaspoon once or twice a day whenever I'm feeling hungry. I had vegetable soup for dinner, so I just took another teaspoon right now (8 pm) and I'm sure I won't be hungry until morning.

Margie

Hi!

Yeah, I'm getting banded in 2 1/2 weeks. I made my surgery date way in advance...so when it was time to start the 3 weeks I had an extra 4 lbs to more to take off. :mellow:

I managed to take off the first 4 lbs during the work week, but the weekend is HARD! It's hard to do 2 shakes and a Lean Cuisine when the fridge is so accessible. Today, I had 1 shake for breakfast, one chicken soft taco for lunch and a bowl of chicken noodle soup for dinner. Calorically it came to about 900 cals, while during the week with the shakes I was getting in about 650-700.

I'm gonna have to try some of that Benefiber. Thanks for suggesting it.

Benefiber works wonders! I did the chewables ones that were a strawberry flavor (fiber choice) and they did make a big difference! I did them at 10am and around 3pm which is when I would get hungry. Try that out and I hope it works! For me the pre-op diet was the hardest - you can do it!

I'm going to buy Benefiber tomorrow! This pre-op diet is tough for me.

My surgery is on Friday!

I had a dream last night that I went to have the surgery and it was in a warehouse off of a local highway and, for some reason, I had my three year old son with me. Now, what I was going to do with him while I was "out" was not even in question in the dream. The pressing issue was that my son was hungry and I had to pee. So, in my gown and IV heplock, I pile kid and self into the car and then spend 2 hours looking for food and a bathroom, all the while freaking out that I wasn't going to have my Lap Band!!!

So....yeah, I had to pee.