vitamins and meds

mobs

I cannot stomach the liquid vitamins. Finally got th Flinstones chewables and crush them up. I have tried to disguise my vitamins and crushed meds because I can't stand to take them that way. I've tried juices, hot tea, coffee, and have finally decided that a teaspoon of honey helps them go down smooth and almost tasteless. Is that a bad thing? I am waiting until the day I can finally take the pill forms again. Please let me know if there is a better way. I know honey is not the best thing for a diet.

Why can't you just take them? Except for post op when I was restricted to clear liquids only (no protein shakes even) when I didn't take vitamins or meds that were contraindicated for an empty stomach, I have always just taken my pills, and I'm 13 months post op. BUT not everyone can do that; have you tried?

And have you tried the bariatric advantage vitamins? They have a chewable. I don't like 'em but lots swear by them.

If you're just using the honey for a limited time, I don't see anything wrong with it. Personally the honey would gag me! but you need to get them down.

I have read where (depending on your post op status) some use applesauce or yogurt.

Again all that sounds worse to me than just taking them. Is there a reason you don't just chew the flintstones chewables?

I tried the liquids and almost threw up so I stopped. I do the chewable centrum and they are fine kind of an orange taste to them. I got a sample of the bariatric advantage from my fill dr and the grape ones were OK for me. I'm also about to start Juice Plus and do their chewables.

Everyone is different so you just need to find the ones that work for you. Good luck!

I tried the liquids and almost threw up so I stopped. I do the chewable centrum and they are fine kind of an orange taste to them. I got a sample of the bariatric advantage from my fill dr and the grape ones were OK for me. I'm also about to start Juice Plus and do their chewables.

Everyone is different so you just need to find the ones that work for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I was told to crush all my meds for the first 21 days, absolutely no food, liquids only, nothing mushy even, no chunks should be going down my throat and that it was critical to follow directions the first 3 weeks. I am just trying to do the right thing.

I also take other meds that are prescribed so I have to crush those. They are horrible. I crush the Flinstone vitamin separately and drink it with juice, it's not so bad. I am waiting until I can finally just take pills normally.

I wish they did say I could just take my meds normally, but am too afraid to go against their advice.

Be careful with the ones you crush, sometimes if they are time released you shouldn't crush them. Ask your prescribing doctor. I too use the centrum silver chewable and they are ok. I hated all the others. But, now I can take any pill except for the super huge ones. Just take them with lots of water to make sure they dissolve good.

The pharmacist I spoke with recommended that I not crush my multi-vitamin. He said they are coated for a reason and that is because many of them can irritate the stomach. He told me this during a time when I couldn't get the entire pill to go down so I started using the adult gummies. You might call your doctor and see if it would be okay to do the chewables as long as you chew them very very well.