Been away a while

Hey everyone! Its been a long long time since I posted here. I realized tonight that I need to be posting here daily so that I can stay on track and discuss issues with people who are experiencing the same things as I am.

I kind of fell off the wagon about two months back. I was at 149 (the lowest I have been since I was in 5th grade) and I was at 2.8 cc in my band. I went to the Dr. for an adjustment and thought it would be a good idea to try this on my own with no fluid in my band. Bad BAD idea. The Dr. warned me that I would gain weight, and she was right. I went from 149 to 165 in a month and a half. Talk about feeling depressed and like a failure! I knew I had gained but didnt realize it was so much.

I guess that this is just not the time for me to try this on my own - - heck, maybe I will never be able to do it completely on my own. Who knows. I just know that for now, I need to utilize this wonderful tool that I have and get this weight back off! Has anyone else decided to try doing this with no liquid? Just curious.

Hey Carrie,

Good to see you back. I have not tried to "go it alone" without a fill but I have not had a fill in more than a year now. I plateaued around March and then I ended up gaining weight over the summer (about 5 pounds) and I still have not gone for another fill. I have decided to try to lose the weight I gained over the summer in the traditional manner, better choices about eating and more exercise but so far, I have not been able to budge the summer weight. I still have restriction at 1.4 cc's in my 4 cc band. Some days, I have quite a bit of restriction and I am just not willing to go get another fill when I have days when I struggle to eat 3 meals. There are days when I think about getting fluid removed so that I can consistently eat three healthy meals a day and stop grazing/snacking because of never feeling full. But, I think that I would be right back with my bad eating habits if I had absolutely no restriction. Not good! I just don't know, I know I do not want to be too tight. I guess, at 50% of excess weight lost, I am successful but I would be happier with a greater percentage of weight loss but it seems the only way to do it is by being too tight (for me anyway) and I am just not willing to do that which leaves me the tradtional weight loss methods for the moment. I still have the band restricting me and I guess I really need to learn to eat better.

I gained nine pounds in three weeks when I got an unfill this summer. The good news is, once I got a small fill, I lost it all in two weeks! I'm still struggling with wanting to eat way too much or graze on stuff just because it is there. I could probably use more restriction so I get the stop signs earlier, but I'm too scared of getting too tight again.

I went in to this surgery feeling that even if I lost 60% of my excess weight (the average for bandsters) that I would be happy. I've surpassed that now and I'm happy with my loss most days. I am still overweight, and would love to know what it feels like to be size 6 or 8 but I'm starting to think it might not ever happen for me. I may end up a curvy size 12 forever- but it beats a size 22 any day!

Sabrina:)

I think curvy size 12 is gorgeous. That's the size the character Callie on Grey's Anatomy is and she is HOT. (My friend works on that show and she buys all of the clothes so I am quite sure of her size.)

I think it's great that people still come back here for support. I come every day now. It is really helpful.

In my opinion, I don't ever want to "trust myself" without restriction. I've done that for 39 years and it's not turned out so well. I have admitted to myself that I need help and the band is one of my tools. I'm ever so grateful that I did this.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I really appreciate it and am so glad to be back here on the message board. I think that coming here and posting daily will definitely help me so so much! I know the feeling of being too restricted - - that is why I got completely unfilled. I was at 2.8 cc and I could barely keep liquids down let alone eat solid food. So, anyhow, I gained 10 lbs back, but the Dr. said that was actually not bad because I was unfilled for over 4 weeks... she said I could have potentially gained 30-40 lbs back! Holy crap! I am glad I didn't gain that much back. BUT, the good news is that I am back down to 160 lbs from 165 lbs only 2 days ago. So I am happy about that. If you are feeling overly filled, definitely don't get another fill, but just try to manage with what you have. Its really important to remember to chew at least 30 times and take small bites! I have learned this the hard way several times.

Hi Carrie!

It has been a long time, I am too glad to see you back!

I agree with posting here daily, it helps me so much! We have started a daily food log and a weigh in on Wednesdays, would love for you to join in with us.

As far as going without fluid in my band, I have never and I dont think I could. I still have the "fluffy girl" mind and I think for myself I always will. There are some foods that I can eat more than I should of and I do. It is so hard and one thing that I have learned through this process is how POWERFUL your mind can be!!!! So please, you are not a failure. You know what you need to do and we are all here to help you on this journey!

Good luck to you and please stick around with us!

Carrie

Welcome back!!! Glad to see you in here again!!!

I know for me I need to come in here as much as possible to keep me accountable. I'm not good at lying so coming in here and journaling and what not keeps me honest. You will be back to where you were in no time I have no doubts!!!

So, anyhow, I gained 10 lbs back, but the Dr. said that was actually not bad because I was unfilled for over 4 weeks... she said I could have potentially gained 30-40 lbs back!

Hey Carrie!

Is that not the miracle of this tool we have?! At least we can regain control before it gets to the point of a 30-40 pound gain. One thing that continually amazes me is that even when I seemed stalled in my weight loss, I can at least maintain my weight until the losing starts again. In the past, I could maintain weight loss for approximately 30 seconds, my bad habits would kick back in, and I would not get control back at all. You were good to take action right away--let the losing begin!!