Will be 3 years in Jan. - Tummy tuck question

Hey All,

It's been quite a while since I've posted. I started my lapband journey at 218 Jan. 15, 2007. I now weigh 129. That's 89 pounds. It was a rather bumpy trip, but ultimately a were successful & happy one. I had two fills: 1.6 & then 2.3 in a 4cc band. Then came the acid reflux. I got scare & went for an unfill, which was probably the thing to do. Four months later I went back for a refill (gained 7 pounds, not bad) of 1.2. Somehow that was now enough, something to do with somewhat of a slip that never went completely back to normal. After a few months the GURD was back, but I babied it - sleeping with head elevated, not eating after 6PM, avoiding certain foods, etc. I was able to get to goal before I went for my current unfill. I have been doing Weight Watchers all along as well. I am so use to counting points now. The app for it on my iPhone is a big help. So since reaching goal & getting my last unfill, it's been 5 months & I've lost 3 more pounds. I've gained nothing!!!!! I'm very thrilled & happy. In a little more than a week I'm getting a tummy tuck. I'm a little worried because the doctor warned me that there is a small chance of getting an infection at the band's port site. Remote, but he says any surgery would pose some risk of that. He called in the bariatric doctor who agreed & said, though infection is unlikely, it is a possibility & would most likely result in needing to remove the band. I don't want to loss my band. Even unfilled I have some restriction if I eat too much or too quickly, and besides I may need to fill it again some day. What to do! Does anybody have any info or experience with this?

Hey All,

It's been quite a while since I've posted. I started my lapband journey at 218 Jan. 15, 2007. I now weigh 129. That's 89 pounds. It was a rather bumpy trip, but ultimately a were successful & happy one. I had two fills: 1.6 & then 2.3 in a 4cc band. Then came the acid reflux. I got scare & went for an unfill, which was probably the thing to do. Four months later I went back for a refill (gained 7 pounds, not bad) of 1.2. Somehow that was now enough, something to do with somewhat of a slip that never went completely back to normal. After a few months the GURD was back, but I babied it - sleeping with head elevated, not eating after 6PM, avoiding certain foods, etc. I was able to get to goal before I went for my current unfill. I have been doing Weight Watchers all along as well. I am so use to counting points now. The app for it on my iPhone is a big help. So since reaching goal & getting my last unfill, it's been 5 months & I've lost 3 more pounds. I've gained nothing!!!!! I'm very thrilled & happy. In a little more than a week I'm getting a tummy tuck. I'm a little worried because the doctor warned me that there is a small chance of getting an infection at the band's port site. Remote, but he says any surgery would pose some risk of that. He called in the bariatric doctor who agreed & said, though infection is unlikely, it is a possibility & would most likely result in needing to remove the band. I don't want to loss my band. Even unfilled I have some restriction if I eat too much or too quickly, and besides I may need to fill it again some day. What to do! Does anybody have any info or experience with this?

I GOT MY TT OVER TWO YEARS AGO, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE. WHY WOULD THE PORT SITE BE SUSCEPTIBLE TO INFECTION?

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING GOAL :)

I GOT MY TT OVER TWO YEARS AGO, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE. WHY WOULD THE PORT SITE BE SUSCEPTIBLE TO INFECTION?

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING GOAL :)

Thanks for your response. No, the bariatric surgeon that the plastic surgeon brought in to consult said the port should not need to be moved. It's basically as you say, any surgery brings a certain risk of infection. Apparently the bariatric surgeon feels the port is especially suseptible to infection. The bad part is he feels if an infection did develop it would be really difficult to clear up except by removing the band. They say the chance of infection is not great, but can't give me any percentages. I'm going ahead, and keeping my fingers crossed. I would be so sad to loss my band at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my TT in April and had no problems. Although, now that the swelling has completely disappeared (at least I think it has), my port is right under my skin and shows as a slight bump, but not enough to be seen thru my clothes, or even without them unless you are specificically looking for it. I am thinking of going to a lap band surgeon to have my gallbladder removed in hopes of getting my port repositioned at the same time.

Hi PamnLA,

I had a my initial band consultation with a Dr. in Beverly Hills who noted that the possibility of infection is only slight and that if there was an instance where the Port site/port became infected a procedure could be done whereby the port is simply removed and replaced with a new one at a later date. He emphasised that the whole band doesnt need to be removed. He made the procedure sound simple and quick, moreover, not at all common. Granted, all of this was said I am presuming refering to the Lap Band AP (American Version) but I am curious to know if the same principle of just removing the Port would apply to other Lap Band Versions.