Sugery/Fill Question

bogiesmom

Hi,

I am a newbie and I have my procedure scheduled at OCC on Nov 13, 2009. This is my first post and I am not able to find the answer to my question on this forum.

I read on another board that some doctors will do an initial fill during the surgery while other just do an initial install then you have to go back and get fluid added at a later date.

I was under the assumtion that I would have restiction due to liquid at the time of install (surgery). Will Dr. Ortiz inject liquid during my procedure at my request? Does he normally do this?

I would really hate to have to wait 6-8 week and have to drive back to the OCC for restriction. I would rather kill 2 birds with one stone before having to go back for an adjustment. Even if it is like a small amount of liquid, something is better then nothing at all.

Hi,

I am a newbie and I have my procedure scheduled at OCC on Nov 13, 2009. This is my first post and I am not able to find the answer to my question on this forum.

I read on another board that some doctors will do an initial fill during the surgery while other just do an initial install then you have to go back and get fluid added at a later date.

I was under the assumtion that I would have restiction due to liquid at the time of install (surgery). Will Dr. Ortiz inject liquid during my procedure at my request? Does he normally do this?

I would really hate to have to wait 6-8 week and have to drive back to the OCC for restriction. I would rather kill 2 birds with one stone before having to go back for an adjustment. Even if it is like a small amount of liquid, something is better then nothing at all.

I can say you don't want to have restriction from the get go. The band needs to sit there and heal in place to minimize slippage. If you have restriction from the beginning you could increase your odds on having some kind of complication. Go with what your doctor recommends. Dr. Ortiz has done thousands of these procedures. They know when they tell you something it's for your own good. They don't want you to have any complications after surgery. They want you to succeed!

the restriction you initially feel is from being swollen...not from having a fill. You will not get a fill for about 6 weeks. :) You will feel plenty of restriction initially...you wouldn't want a fill in the beginning.

the restriction you initially feel is from being swollen...not from having a fill. You will not get a fill for about 6 weeks. :) You will feel plenty of restriction initially...you wouldn't want a fill in the beginning.

Hi Holly! I'm having my surgery this coming Friday, Oct. 16 and I was just wondering : Does everyone always end up with fills or is the placement of the band enough for some folks? Also..not to be really dumb (but then I'm a newbie and I get at least one "DUH" question..lol...) Where does the fill material go? Is there a channel in the actual band itself that contains the liquid? Does it leak and that's why refills are necessary?

Thanks for your help..and Boy..am I impressed with the progress YOU'VE made!! ><'

Wahooooo..you must be feeling awesome :rolleyes:

Cheryl