Kansas City avoid Dr. Selim and KU Med Center

Just a warning to anyone looking for a doctor in the Kansas City area. I went to the seminar and waited months to see Dr. Niazy Selim at University of Kansas Medical Center. I had one appointment and was told all my paperwork looked in good order. Dr. Selim's comment was, "I wish all my patients had things as well organized as you do. It should take about a week to get everything sent in to your insurance." I waited two weeks and heard nothing so I contacted my insurance and was told they had received nothing. I asked them to contact my surgeon and find out what was wrong. They tried for weeks without satisfactory results. I called and emailed several times trying to find out what the hold up was. Once I was told to let them handle it and relax. Twice I was told all had been sent in.

Last week (nearly 3 months after my appointment), they told my insurance nurse that my case had been closed. I called the Patient Advocate at the hospital and was told, "They decided they could not develop a theraputic relationship with you, so they closed your case." I had two questions - Why? and - Why wasn't I informed? I was told (1) that my insurance was too difficult to deal with, (2) that they could not finish the paperwork as they did not have a psych eval (the insurance already had it and no one asked me for it or I would have provided it) or a dietician eval (I hand carried that in and gave it directly to the doc along with the other paper work he was so pleased with), and (3) that I was not a trusting person as I kept calling to find out why they had not sent in my paperwork. They could not explain why I was not informed.

The Patient Advocate referred me to the Administrator who after talking to me a long time, told me I seemed really rational and logical, not at all what the surgeon's office described when he investigated, but there was nothing I could do.

So I have filed a complaint with the Blue Cross/Blue Shield folks as KU Med Center is a Blue Distinction Center. I am sure it will not really result in anything concrete, but it made me feel better to take some action.

So if you want a compassionate doctor with a responsive caring staff, DON'T LOOK AT KU MED CENTER OR DR. NIAZY SELIM!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tadpoles - this board is mostly for patients who have had the surgery (or are scheduled to) by Dr. Ariel Ortiz and his staff at the OCC in Mexico. I can tell you, if you are looking for excellant care, a seemless, easy experience and a first-rate staff, you have found it. I had my surgery less than a month ago at OCC and it went perfectly - I've never recieved such good care in the US. There is one caveat, though - they don't take insurance. That was ok in my case, since mine wouldn't cover a lap-band anyway. It makes me think the REAL solution to healthcare reform in the US is to do away with the insurance companies - if everyone paid out of pocket for everything than the docs wouldn't be able to charge the ridiculous prices they do and they'd have to really work to keep their patients (Doc's like the one you describe would be out of business, because they wouldn't have a captive audience like they do now) -- make them compete for us. Check out the OCC - you might find it to be more affordable than you'd ever imagined (everyone I've told is stunned at how low the price is) - and you won't jump through any hoops, you'll just get first-rate care. I'm a convert - I wish I could go to Mexico for all my medical needs - lol. :)

The unfortunate part is that the doctor's reputation is muddied because of problems with his staff. I am sure the doctor 100% believed what he said to you, it is just that his office staff did not follow thru appropriately. More than likely he will never even know that this happened. Too bad you can't get a letter or something like that thru to him.

I had my surgery at another facility here in KC where Dr. Selim and other doctor's work out of that is not associated with KU. He was not my doctor and I really don't know of anyone that has had their surgery with him, but I can tell you the staff at that center take care of their patients, or at least they did me and the other 15 or so people that I know of that went there. PM me if you would like the information on that center.

Smiley

I think you are probably right, but there is no way to talk with him without going through his office manager there. The hospital administrator indicated that he had talked to the surgeon and his office in his investigation, but I am sure his views were colored by his staff's statements. It is very frustrating to not be able to talk to the surgeon directly.

I am glad you had better luck where you went. I am looking for a new doc. I am looking at Dr. Hoehn at Shawnee Mission and someone refrred me to Dr. Ellison, also at Shawnee Mission and several other hospitals.

Tadpoles

Walking Disaster7,

Where and what is OCC? Even with my insurance it is going to cost me $3000 plus copays for fills etc. I know the charge form the first doc would have been $16,500. We never got that far with Dr. Selim so I do not know the total cost.

Tadpoles

Can't figure out how to PM on this forum. Can you direct me?

Tadpoles

Hi Tadpoles,

The OCC that Disaster Walking7 is referring to is the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana Mexico and almost all of us on this forum have had our surgery done at the OCC with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Miranda. This forum is directly linked to the OCC website if you notice the top left hand corner of this page, there's the logo! Dr. Ortiz and his staff have been the best thing that has happened to all of us, and I can almost 99.9% positively say that everyone would agree to this. Check out the website where you will find all the basics about their facility. Off hand, you should know that the roughly $ for the total cost of the surgery will be all out of pocket since U.S. insurance will not cover in Mexico but that price includes a lot (pick up and drop off from the airport or the U.S. border, surgery and overnight stay at hospital, 2 nights stay at either the Marriot hotel or Lucerne for you and your companion). You can try to finance the cost of the surgery through several U.S. finance companies off the OCC website. Your follow up fills, if you choose to have them done at the OCC cost $100 cash. Just a little preview. Hope this helps.

Edited by Dolittle
No posting of prices, that's a no-no

Hi Tadpoles,

I had my surgery OCC also, but I go to Dr. Malley of Malley Surgical Weight Loss Center for my fills. He is in Mission. I like him but I still would not have had my surgery any place else but OCC. Good luck and sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience with the Doc at KUMED.

Take care and keep up posted,

dawn

Dr. Malley was the first doc I went to see and I really liked him. Then I found out that Blue Cross/Blue Shield will only pay at KU Med and Shawnee Mission hospitals and Malley doesn't practice at either of those. I was really disappointed. If I could have done that, I would have been banded long ago. Well, Monday is my seminar with another group that practices at Shawnee Mission Hospital, my third seminar in 13 months! I hope this one works out!

Tadpoles

I also see Dr. Malley that stinks that you can't go there. I also had a consult at Weight Loss Surgical Center and they were very nice as well. I also went to OCC and would go back in a heartbeat. Can't go back for fills too expensive, so i'm glad I have Dr. Malley he is great.

I would encourage you to look into Dr. Ortiz and OCC. Much cheaper but the quality of service is top notch!

Walking Disaster7,

Where and what is OCC? Even with my insurance it is going to cost me $3000 plus copays for fills etc. I know the charge form the first doc would have been $16,500. We never got that far with Dr. Selim so I do not know the total cost.

Tadpoles

I had to edit the price out from another members post. If you wish to consult the OCC about lap band surgery,, your more than welcome to call one of the OCC coordinators. The phone number is 1 866 376 7849 ext 81

• 4 weeks later...

My sister was going to be banded at KU, and she started the process a year and a half ago. She had to fight with them every week, and had to appeal her insurance decision twice. In the end, insurance said no to her. She weighs 250 pounds and has hypertention that is adequately controlled by meds, and thats why they said no. (long story made short). So all of this was a huge turn off for me. I went to surgical weight loss center by my home and insurance denied me, said that I only have coverage for KU. They submitted my info to them that day, and a month later they sent me a letter saying that I had to attend their seminars. By this time I already scheduled my appointment for surgery with Dr Ortiz. This week I am going to get my first fill. If I stuck with KU, maybe I will be just now getting in to see the DOC.

I almost hate to ask this question since I love the OCC so much, but after my first fill I will have to go to Dr Mally, like some of you. A few questions, how hard or easy was it to get in for your first fill with him? And if I may ask, about how much are your fills with him? Does he use flouro?

I almost hate to ask this question since I love the OCC so much, but after my first fill I will have to go to Dr Mally, like some of you. A few questions, how hard or easy was it to get in for your first fill with him? And if I may ask, about how much are your fills with him? Does he use flouro?

About to send you a PM!!