... need some advice ....

Hi there,

I know I haven't posted in ages, but life keeps me very busy and I am also preparing my PS sx in a month as well B)

Well, here s my (?) .... DH changed jobs in January of this year and through them, he was able to open a FSA (Flexible Spending Account) .... We thought, why not, we're going to have a pile of "Fill Bills" anyways (DH is banded too) and could use the FSA money for that, right? NOOOOO! Althought we first got the information that we could, they now came back to us declining it ??? WTH ???

At the same time they did send a form called " Letter of Medical Necessity" and ask us to get the form completed and then send it back ?

Did anyone experience the same issue ? Who would be the one filling it out - Dr. Oritz - or - Fill Center USA - ?

HELPPPPP PLEASEEEE :ph34r:

Hi there,

I know I haven't posted in ages, but life keeps me very busy and I am also preparing my PS sx in a month as well B)

Well, here s my (?) .... DH changed jobs in January of this year and through them, he was able to open a FSA (Flexible Spending Account) .... We thought, why not, we're going to have a pile of "Fill Bills" anyways (DH is banded too) and could use the FSA money for that, right? NOOOOO! Althought we first got the information that we could, they now came back to us declining it ??? WTH ???

At the same time they did send a form called " Letter of Medical Necessity" and ask us to get the form completed and then send it back ?

Did anyone experience the same issue ? Who would be the one filling it out - Dr. Oritz - or - Fill Center USA - ?

Okay...that is the dumbest thing I have heard in the last two weeks. I do not have an FSA but I thought the whole point of it was that it is YOUR MONEY. Your money that you have saved up and put into it for the use of medical out-of-pocket expenses. IMO, fight them all the way. This is another example of poor customer service by people who are not trained to do their jobs. The one hand does not know what the other hand is doing and it sounds like you need to talk to an intelligent person and get the right information. See if they are registered members of the BBB and file a case through BBB if they are. You might be suprised at how quickly your situation gets resolved. Seriously...the most frustrating thing about your experiance is that it sounds like this is another example of an A+ person trying to live in a C- world. I hate it when that happens.

Hi there,

My wife and I have something similar, a HSA (Health Savings Account) and we were issued a credit/debit card to use when we had any medical services done. If the medical provider didn't accept credit/debit cards we could just call a 800 number and they would pull that amount out of the account and send it to us. I go to a Chicago area doctor for my band adjustments and I use the HSA to pay for it. I've never had any problems or anyone questioning any of my band related charges. If you need a letter of nessessity, call your OCC coordinator or the Rene at the OCC and they will help you with that.

PS. Don't forget to keep track of all your out of pocket medical bills. Medical, Dental, Vision, Airfare, Hotels, mileage and etc, you can write it all off on your taxes! There are several topics here at the forum posted talking about medical tax deductions.

Thanks Dave for responding!

Yeah, I'm pretty &ç%*? about that. The best thing is, this FSA needs to be renewed every year and if you do not use the/your money by the end of that year it actually goes completely BYE BYE :angry::blink::ph34r:

We received a credit/debit card as well, but after the fact (after our last fill) so we had to send in the receipts. They stated, that -->

the expense of Lap Band Adjustments is not a qualifying expense under the IRS Sec 125 guidelines

I'll give them a call and see what they say! Why would I save up money for medical expenses if I can't use it and on top of that the money get's WASTED ? This is redicioulos !

I'll keep you posted!

Oh, last year, we did write of ALL expenses (surgeries, fills, hotel, airfares etc.) and it worked out just fine!

... at least we got a little bit of chi-chingggg back there :P

Thanks Dave for responding!

Yeah, I'm pretty &ç%*? about that. The best thing is, this FSA needs to be renewed every year and if you do not use the/your money by the end of that year it actually goes completely BYE BYE :angry::blink::ph34r:

We received a credit/debit card as well, but after the fact (after our last fill) so we had to send in the receipts. They stated, that -->

the expense of Lap Band Adjustments is not a qualifying expense under the IRS Sec 125 guidelines

I'll give them a call and see what they say! Why would I save up money for medical expenses if I can't use it and on top of that the money get's WASTED ? This is redicioulos !

I'll keep you posted!

Oh, last year, we did write of ALL expenses (surgeries, fills, hotel, airfares etc.) and it worked out just fine!

... at least we got a little bit of chi-chingggg back there :P

I went to IRS.gov and tried to find that sec 125 article. I couldn't find it. I do know if you have a letter of nessessity from your doctor you should be OK. I'm going to email a coordinator up in the Chicago area and ask her about FSA and fills. I'll get back to you soon.

I went to IRS.gov and tried to find that sec 125 article. I couldn't find it. I do know if you have a letter of nessessity from your doctor you should be OK. I'm going to email a coordinator up in the Chicago area and ask her about FSA and fills. I'll get back to you soon.

I could not find it either ... ? ...

The ppl from the FSA want to get the "letter of medical nessecity" from the fill provider not from the doctor - but still did not say if it will be accepted or not. We shall see ...

I spoke to my fill provider and she said that she knows this form and will be happy to do that for us.

This was an interesting question, and aactually sent me on a quest to see if it was covered under my FSA - I'm in Canada, and sadly, isn't included (but an artificial eyeball is ..lolO)

:laugh3: That is the funniest thing I have heard all day & it felt good to laugh like that. Thank you. When it comes to stuff like this you need a sense of humor.

I got a reply back from the coordinator I know up in Chicago, she had never heard of anyone having problems other than needing a letter of nessessity. Her opinion was, which I can't repeat, cause this is a family forum, LOL, she thought this was just another way for the FSA insurance provider to stiff you. I'd call the IRS, they have a toll free number. Also, the FSA provider should provide you, in writing, with a copy of the so called section 125 IRS code and as to why they declined the medical bill.

Please keep us up to date to what you find out and if you get this resolved.