4th Fill & Sliming...

:lb5:

Well, today I had my 4th fill. What an experience!!!

My Doc pulled out the 3.50cc's from before and then put back in 4cc's. Wow, that was not so fun.

The moment I left to sit in the waiting room, I felt like I was gonna toss my cookies.. Then I went to tell the nurse what was going on and then I did toss them cookies... Ugh.. Gross... :bad:

Then until the Doc came into do the adjustment, I was sliming. At least that is what I am pretty sure it was. It was my first time. I have Pb'd before, but never slimed.

We got it taken care of and my fill was to 3.75 from 3.50 and I have been doing fine the rest of the day.

Wow, I didn't realize how gross it was and I was only sliming water.... :lb1:

Not an experience I want to go through again.

So, have any of you ever gone through this kind of experience?

Kristi

I have slimed, but not from just drinking water. I am glad you were still at the office and able to get it taken care of quickly. Be careful the next couple of days.

I also had a fill today and am kind of having clear liquids. It is egg drop soup that I made myself so the liquid is clear but I'm not sure the egg in it is legal, but boy am I enjoying it.

Kristi- at least (at the very least :) ) you were still at the doctor's office when you slimed and were able to get some fluid removed.

I am going to the OCC tomorrow for my very first fill, almost exactly 6 weeks after the surgery. I am planning on parking at the border and taking a taxi. I just realized that no one has called or emailed me from the OCC to confirm. I don't even know if they do pick ups at the border. That's a bummer that they aren't as in touch for a fill appointment as a surgical one.

I am looking forward to the experience!

Hi Ladies...

I'm only on day 17 of liquids..could one of you advise me what this sliming & pb stuff is all about? What triggers these responses and how to avoid them?

:lb12:

Thanks...Cheryl

:lb5:

Well, today I had my 4th fill. What an experience!!!

My Doc pulled out the 3.50cc's from before and then put back in 4cc's. Wow, that was not so fun.

The moment I left to sit in the waiting room, I felt like I was gonna toss my cookies.. Then I went to tell the nurse what was going on and then I did toss them cookies... Ugh.. Gross... :bad:

Then until the Doc came into do the adjustment, I was sliming. At least that is what I am pretty sure it was. It was my first time. I have Pb'd before, but never slimed.

We got it taken care of and my fill was to 3.75 from 3.50 and I have been doing fine the rest of the day.

Wow, I didn't realize how gross it was and I was only sliming water.... :lb1:

Not an experience I want to go through again.

So, have any of you ever gone through this kind of experience?

Kristi

ooo, so NOT fun and a bit freaky. I had that happen last spring (too much fill) and it is a freaky thing to slime on everyday liquids, it was hard not to panic.

Be safe and just realize you will be a bit swollen for the next 10-14 days

oodles

why would she be swollen after a standard fill?

Being overfilled is not a standard fill and has a tendency to irritate the tummy. The positive side is that she knew immediately and they fixed it, she may or may not have more swelling than normal.

My overfill hit the next day and it still took me two more days to get the 2 hours back up to fix it. By then I was gagging on coffee, water, etc. They had to go from 4.2 cc down to 2.9 cc to let the swelling go down or I would have had a slippage. I stayed at 2.9 cc for 3 weeks before going up to 3.9cc where I am comfortably at now.

I also do ALL my fills under fluoro...I like to see what is going on and if I am doing anything adverse, I want to be aware of it.

caio

Good Morning,

Well, to answer some questions, I am not as good as some of the others in explaining sliming and Pb'ing.

I found these explanations online:

Definition of a PB.

The PB is also known as a productive burp. In reality it is not simply a burp or even vomiting but somewhere in between. The PB may consist of bringing up mucus or even the bolus of food. You may experience upper abdominal pain lasting from minutes to hours.

Triggers to stop eating:

1. You feel full.

2. You feel like something you’ve eaten is stuck.

3. You PB.

4. You have been eating for 30 minutes.

5. You’ve eaten approximately a half to three quarter cups of food.

Reasons that people PB:

1. You didn’t chew enough.

2. You ate too quickly.

3. You ate too much.

4. Your band is too tight.

5. You’ve eaten the wrong type of food or something that doesn’t agree with the band. Remember, there are some things that no matter how much you chew, will not go down.

sliming - "Sliming" refers to excess saliva in your mouth caused by a very tight band. You might have something stuck inside your stoma that hasn't yet passed through the tightened banded area.

Cheryl- I hope this helps. :)

IrishRN,

Thank you, :D

I went ahead and got a fill because the last month I have had very minimal restriction and had to watch every amount of food I ate. And I could eat way more than I should be able to. :o

I am pretty sure I am swollen a tad bit. I can feel it all go down and I am only on liquids/soups. I also think it would have been worse if I hadn't waited after and taken off. The good news is that my Doc makes me stay an extra 15-20 minutes while drinking/sipping water to make sure I am OK. This last time was the 1st time I wasn't. But I have taken advice and been on liquids so I don't irritate my belly anymore.

Hugs,

Kristi

Thanks Kristi for the explanation! Both sound awful (!!) and I hope I don't have to experience either. Today is my last day of liquids only. I was wondering if anyone has had sucess with eating Lean Cuisine's as part of the solid food diet.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers everyone :D

Cheryl

glad to hear you are doing better Kristi

Here is some great info from some fill drs I have gone to in the past:

URGENT:

Frequent vomiting: If you have frequent vomiting ( 3-4 or more times per week), you need to be seen by your fill clinic to get saline removed.

Heartburn or Reflux: If you have heartburn or reflux, you can use Prilosec (available over the counter) twice a day, and possibly remove a bit of saline from your band. If you allow the heartburn to persist, you may risk slippage of the band. If some saline is taken out, stay on liquids for 1 week, mushy for 1 week, and then introduce solids slowly.

If your band slams shut after you have had a fill, you should return to your clinic for a bit of unfill. Don't let it go on too long, you risk slipping your band and dehydration. This prevents and ER visit.

NORMAL:

You can't eat solids in the morning:

If you can't eat solids early in the day, try drinking something hot. This may open your band up and allow you to eat. If the problem persists, try going on liquids for 3 days, then start eating breakfast, a larger lunch, and a smaller dinner. Sometimes this will reset your eating habits. If you just can't eat in the morning but can eat later in the day, drink a protein drink in the morning. We normally say no liquid proteins, but once in a while is ok. The whole process behind the band is to eat our protein in solid form, not liquids.

Projectile burping, vomiting, tossing your cookies:

Are you eating too fast? Not chewing enough? Taking too big a bite? Swallowing hot things too soon? Try coating meat with BBQ (or another) sauce to help it go down. Try eating with a baby spoon to make sure you are taking.

Illness:

If you have the flu, you should be fine, but if you are throwing up too much, removing some fluid from your band may help. You can drink flat 7-up, gator-aid, apple juice, whatever, forget the calories, just stay hydrated.

WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR:

Get an unfill if you can't swallow your own saliva.

Get an unfill if you can't eat regular food.

Get an unfill if you are having heartburn or reflux.

Call your doctor immediately if you are throwing up blood. You might have a tear or rupture in your esophagus. Be sure to tell them you have a lap band.

Go to the ER if you haven't been able to drink any liquids for 24 hours.

DO NOT LIVE WITH THROWING UP FOR MORE THAN A FEW DAYS. THE WEIGHT YOU ARE LOSING IS WATER, NOT FAT! This is not the way to lose weight. You are depleting yourself of needed vitamins and nutrients your body needs to survive. Call your surgeon with any concerns.

glad to hear you are doing better Kristi

Here is some great info from some fill drs I have gone to in the past:

URGENT:

Frequent vomiting: If you have frequent vomiting ( 3-4 or more times per week), you need to be seen by your fill clinic to get saline removed.

Heartburn or Reflux: If you have heartburn or reflux, you can use Prilosec (available over the counter) twice a day, and possibly remove a bit of saline from your band. If you allow the heartburn to persist, you may risk slippage of the band. If some saline is taken out, stay on liquids for 1 week, mushy for 1 week, and then introduce solids slowly.

If your band slams shut after you have had a fill, you should return to your clinic for a bit of unfill. Don't let it go on too long, you risk slipping your band and dehydration. This prevents and ER visit.

NORMAL:

You can't eat solids in the morning:

If you can't eat solids early in the day, try drinking something hot. This may open your band up and allow you to eat. If the problem persists, try going on liquids for 3 days, then start eating breakfast, a larger lunch, and a smaller dinner. Sometimes this will reset your eating habits. If you just can't eat in the morning but can eat later in the day, drink a protein drink in the morning. We normally say no liquid proteins, but once in a while is ok. The whole process behind the band is to eat our protein in solid form, not liquids.

Projectile burping, vomiting, tossing your cookies:

Are you eating too fast? Not chewing enough? Taking too big a bite? Swallowing hot things too soon? Try coating meat with BBQ (or another) sauce to help it go down. Try eating with a baby spoon to make sure you are taking.

Illness:

If you have the flu, you should be fine, but if you are throwing up too much, removing some fluid from your band may help. You can drink flat 7-up, gator-aid, apple juice, whatever, forget the calories, just stay hydrated.

WHEN TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR:

Get an unfill if you can't swallow your own saliva.

Get an unfill if you can't eat regular food.

Get an unfill if you are having heartburn or reflux.

Call your doctor immediately if you are throwing up blood. You might have a tear or rupture in your esophagus. Be sure to tell them you have a lap band.

Go to the ER if you haven't been able to drink any liquids for 24 hours.

DO NOT LIVE WITH THROWING UP FOR MORE THAN A FEW DAYS. THE WEIGHT YOU ARE LOSING IS WATER, NOT FAT! This is not the way to lose weight. You are depleting yourself of needed vitamins and nutrients your body needs to survive. Call your surgeon with any concerns.

GREAT info!!!

You should put this in a sticky thread ... this is something a lot of new bandsters NEED to remember!

GREAT info!!!

You should put this in a sticky thread ... this is something a lot of new bandsters NEED to remember!

Thanks Lindsay

I posted this in the past as it is detrimental for us all to remember these tips...but I don't know what happened to it

GREAT info!!!

Thanks for that info!! I've copied it onto a word document , printed it and have it posted to my fridge!!

Cheers!

Cheryl