Revision surgery in a week

Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while - but everyone is looking great!

Just wanted to give an update on my slip situation.

Even though it was only a partial slip, it never fixed itself, even with a total unfill.

I still have had severe acid problems - basically because my pouch hangs below my band, so acid collects and doesn't go through the band.

I wanted to wait a bit to see if I could lose more with an unfilled band, and if my symptoms would improve, but, while I've maintained my loss I haven't been able to lose much more, and the symptoms have actually gotten worse rather than better.

So I'm having revision surgery on Monday 11/16 - right here in NYC - a few blocks from where I live (with Dr. Christine Ren Fielding who is one of the best). The huge silver lining here is that my insurance is covering the revision - my symptoms make this a medical necessity. Phew!! But I have to say I'm SO not looking forward to going through all of this again.

Of course because my band slipped once despite the fact that I've always followed the rules, and was never too tight (only PD'd about a dozen times total) I feel a bit paranoid that it will happen again. But I'll just be vigilant and hope for the best.

Once I get through the liquids and all it will be amazing to actually have a functioning band again after about 6 months.

I hope no one here ever needs to deal with this! But in the scheme of things it hasn't been too bad (knock on wood). If there is anything newsworthy to report after my revision surgery I'll let you all know.

Best,

Susan

Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while - but everyone is looking great!

Just wanted to give an update on my slip situation.

Even though it was only a partial slip, it never fixed itself, even with a total unfill.

I still have had severe acid problems - basically because my pouch hangs below my band, so acid collects and doesn't go through the band.

I wanted to wait a bit to see if I could lose more with an unfilled band, and if my symptoms would improve, but, while I've maintained my loss I haven't been able to lose much more, and the symptoms have actually gotten worse rather than better.

So I'm having revision surgery on Monday 11/16 - right here in NYC - a few blocks from where I live (with Dr. Christine Ren Fielding who is one of the best). The huge silver lining here is that my insurance is covering the revision - my symptoms make this a medical necessity. Phew!! But I have to say I'm SO not looking forward to going through all of this again.

Of course because my band slipped once despite the fact that I've always followed the rules, and was never too tight (only PD'd about a dozen times total) I feel a bit paranoid that it will happen again. But I'll just be vigilant and hope for the best.

Once I get through the liquids and all it will be amazing to actually have a functioning band again after about 6 months.

I hope no one here ever needs to deal with this! But in the scheme of things it hasn't been too bad (knock on wood). If there is anything newsworthy to report after my revision surgery I'll let you all know.

Best,

Susan

Hi Susan,

Best of luck with your revision. I was told by a doctor in Beverly Hills that what you have is known as "Buldging" and this happens (though not very common) in a small percentage of lap band patients. From my conversation with him I gathered that there are cases of buldginging, slippage and erosion that have occured in the best of lap band patients and that although minimal, these are the risks that the doctors warn us about before getting the procedure done.

I am scheduled for my procedure on 11/13 and I am going to ask Dr. Ortiz more questions about the risks to get some clarity but I have been under the assumption that there are risks involved that even when taking all precautions still occur in some patients.

I know this does not help you much and I am sorry I can not offer up more valuable information specific to you or your situation. I just wanted to offer some solice that it was probably nothing that you did to cause this and it has been documented as happening to others.

I have to give you a big huge CONGRATULATIONS on maintaining your weight loss!!!! That is fastastic & most encourage and admorous! You did not let this buldgiing define your journey or slow you down and that is an example to live by. Can you share with us how you did this specifically? I am very intimidated by the risks involved and I think what you did will offer some comfort in knowing that if something like this does happen there will be a stratagy I can rely on to help me through it.

Glad to see you back!!! I'm sorry you are having to go through that, but hopefully it will all come out well. Don't be a stranger - come in and let us know how it is going!!

Thanks so much for all the support!

><'

Lisa - to clarify I am not (thank god) losing my band, just getting it repositioned/fixed. But I appreciate the support!

jhawkchick - thank you, and you look amazing!!! Congratulations!

bogiesmom - thanks for the info! I haven't heard about "bulging" but that makes sense. As far as my maintenance goes, I'll say that even without a fill the band still definitely helps me feel full sooner. I try to eat denser foods that slow passage through my band - like chicken and veggies. That helps a lot. I've had a lot of struggles all along with sugar, but when I've got a handle on sugar it helps me tremendously. When I'm in control of my sugar I have much less food cravings overall. I try to eat just one ounce of good chocolate every night after dinner. I have various other rules as well that help me stay on track.

And with regard to the risks - you're totally right, and I really appreciate the reminder, that this kind of complication can happen to anyone - although it's only a small percentage - my NY doc says about 5% total - mostly to people who are too tight, but sometimes "it just happens". So i guess I'm just lucky. :) I've actually won two raffles in the last couple months. At least being in that minority few percent sometimes works in my favor!

Good luck with your surgery! It's great that you're doing all the research and going in with all the info. Despite my complications I still heartily recommend the band - and the OCC. I could never have gotten this far in my weight loss without it, and I look forward to having it fixed again. If it turns out that the band doesn't work for me, I might consider revising to the sleeve, but only after VERY careful consideration. The band is the safest way to go and works well for a lot of people. My doc thinks it's unlikely that I'll have this problem again - hopefully she's right.

Tootsielou - indeed, I feel very lucky in the end that I can get this fixed at home and without additional cost to bear myself. Thanks for the support!

I'll keep you all posted. Good luck in your journeys as well.

Best,

Susan

I wish you the best sweetie pie...and I do not blame you...I would not want to be going from step one again. you will do just great and dont stress yourself out!

oodles, clf