Newbie in Waiting

Hi everyone, My name is Amy and I hope I'm posting this correctly. Sorry if not! Still learning my way around. Everyone seems to be very open and supportive. I am waiting to have my surgery in Jan.- whoop whoop! Would love some advice on some things I could be doing now that would make surgery easier and successful. Can you use the flavored water packs-anything to avoid with those? Trying to decide on a pre-opt diet. Would like to do the two weeks before version, but would have to start on Christmas Day....bummber! Is the week of Protein shakes to bad?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, My name is Amy and I hope I'm posting this correctly. Sorry if not! Still learning my way around. Everyone seems to be very open and supportive. I am waiting to have my surgery in Jan.- whoop whoop! Would love some advice on some things I could be doing now that would make surgery easier and successful. Can you use the flavored water packs-anything to avoid with those? Trying to decide on a pre-opt diet. Would like to do the two weeks before version, but would have to start on Christmas Day....bummber! Is the week of Protein shakes to bad?

Thanks!

Welcome to the board. If I were you, I would start the pre op a day later and if need be drink a shake for 3 meals a day to jump start your weight loss. Take the fiber tablets for hunger. I believe Dr Miranda recommends taking them at 10-3. The first few days are the hardest. Your body will adjust! I was not great at my pre-op diet, but did manage to lose the 15 lbs asked of me. Stop drinking soda now. Pay attention to head hunger. Are you having the urge to eat for reasons other than hunger.... Congrats on your decision. Keep posting here. It has helped me so much and I have learned alot. People here are great and willing to support you.

:lb5: Welcome to the board. You have made a great decision to be banded and will be thrilled with the results.

I did pre-op diet too and found it easy to follow. I needed to lose 15% preop so needed to be strict. I wanted a nice non slippery liver :D

Anyways I did 2 optifast shakes a day and a lean cuisine meal. Double fudge shakes were soooooooooooo delicous it was actually a treat. I was hungry the first day then I was fine. I agree with Angie about stopping pop now. Also practice not drinking with your meals now as well. You might as well get used to it because it is a change you will have to follow for the rest of your life. I stopped all carbonated drinks pre-op because Iknew I would not be able to do them post.

Oh yea start exercising now as well. You will have to do 30 minutes of excercise everyday post so you might as well get in the groove preop and it will help you surgical wise as well.

Congrats again and I look forward to hearing your progess

Debbie

Hi Amy! Congrats on your surgery date! I agree with the other guys.. drop the soda and get some exercise now. I chose the protein shakes and lean cuisine option also. Personally, I LOVE the Atkins shakes or the EAS Myoplex shakes.. they are really good! I drank LOTS of water and I did use the TO GO packs and had no problems. You have found a great place for support.. everyone here is awesome!! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys are awesome and all the advise is much appreciated.

I am sooooo excited! I think the hard part is going to be the wait.

Sara, can't wait to see you there. Congrats on your date!

Hi Amy!

Welcome to the board and congrats on your up coming surgery. For me the preop diet was not too bad. I was SO scared that I would get all the way there and them not do the surgery because I did not shrink my liver, so I think the scare tactic was my motivation. I did the shake for breakfast and lunch, them a Lien Cuisine (under 300) calories for Dinner. I started early because again was scared that I could not do it. I did this pre-op for 17 days and lost 16lbs....I lost 10 pounds the first week, 4 the second and 2 more by the time I weighed at the OCC.... This board is wonderful. Start taking pictures and logging your measurements. You dont realize just how much you can change from week to week. It truely can be amazing. We however look at ourself everyday and until you can put pic by pic, sometimes we just dont realize it!

Again welcome and congrats. Anytime you have a questions, please post! :)

Carrie

Hey Carrie, I so get the "being scared" of losing enough weight part - especially over the holidays. I am already doing a protein shake for breakfast, salad for lunch and a Lien Cuisine for Dinner. Thanks for the (300) part. I'm trying to wean myself off soft drinks and just be more aware of what I'm eating. What about coffee w/creamer? That's a biggie for me.

Everyone here has been great to encourage and share some great tips.

Thanks, everyone!

Amy,

As far as the cokes, I just stopped cold turkey and have not had one since. I was told that carbination can stretch your pouch and could even cause band errosion (band grows into your stomach), that was it for me lol. It is amazing to me how I dont miss them either. As far as my pre-op I did not do coffee, strictly water with crystal light, after I was banded I starte drinking coffee, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my creamer in my coffee. I do get the Sugar free creamer. the Hazel Nut is AWESOME and I use splenda for the sugar!

Also if you will take 2 fiber pills around 9am and 2 more around 3 with a Chromium pill at noon, this will cut our your hunger pains. Dr. Miranda told me to do this and trust me I promise it HELPS! After about the third day, I was fine!

Good Luck to you and if I can help with anything else please let me know!

Carrie