What should I realistically expect?

Greetings LapBand community!

I am 21 years old (my birthday is in April) and am a senior in college.

I graduate with my first degree in May and will be heading back home to

live with Mom :) so that she will be able to be my support system after

my surgery.

My surgery date is Jan 9, 2010 and I am more than excited! I now weigh

268lbs but made the decision to do the surgery when I was 272lbs (which

was my weigh in weight when I went to the doctors for a general check up).

My goal is to be any weight between 140-165lbs.

I have not weighed under 200lbs since I was in the 8th grade but the weird

thing is, is that I was more than active. I was an olympic development

program soccer player (along with being on a club team and a high school

varsity team) so I played soccer for 3 teams at once. On top of that I was

an avid swimmer and was on the varsity team in high school for all 4 years.

Then through out the 4 years of high school I was also a cross country runner,

cheerleader and track runner. And yet I was always over weight, never near

the healthy or proper weight I should be for my age or height.

In college I played 3 years of division two soccer, but this last year I didn't

play due to class schedule and interships, etc.

The heavist I got was 290lbs and that was near and after the time of my fathers

death in July 2008.

I made the decision to have the lapband surgery because I am sick of not

feeling healthy, being over weight, and not being able to do things I should

be able to do. I am dedicated to this life changing process and am slowly changing

habits, but there are still a few questions I have about the over all process, and

I thought asking people who have gone through what I am about begin to go through

would be the best audience to talk to.

1. How much should I expect to lose per week, month, or every 3/5 months?

( a minimum and maximum number would be a great help so I know what to aim

for)

2. What is some stories or advise for times when I am discouraged or feeling like

it isnt working?

3. For those of you who are more than 5 months into this: Is it difficult eating

the way you are eating? Does it seem like this way of eating is going to be hard

to do for the rest of your life? What are some good pointers?

4. Do you ever regret the surgery? Or are you ever embarassed to say that you

had to have a weight loss surgery? What are the things that give you the most

support and reassurance?

Thank you for all of your responses and for taking the time for reading this... your

answers will help me plan and map out my routines and also help me with things that

I have been mulling over in my head.

Sincerely

Jenya

Jenya, Hi and welcome.

Your questions are great but unfortunately everyone is different so it would be a little difficult to give you all the answers. I would suggest that you just read as much as you can on the forum and you will start to see some patterns of what most people go through with the band.

I will answer that I have not ever once regretted getting my band placed. I would not be 54 pounds less without it. There are however frustrating times with the band but the positives far out weigh the frustrating times.

I remember wanting to know all the unknowns that were out there before I was banded also, but until you go through it and truly experience everything that goes with it will you get your answers. I am a year out and I am still learning this bandster process!

Good luck to you and congratulations on making the decision to have a happier healthier life.

dawn

Greetings LapBand community!

I am 21 years old (my birthday is in April) and am a senior in college.

I graduate with my first degree in May and will be heading back home to

live with Mom :) so that she will be able to be my support system after

my surgery.

My surgery date is Jan 9, 2010 and I am more than excited! I now weigh

268lbs but made the decision to do the surgery when I was 272lbs (which

was my weigh in weight when I went to the doctors for a general check up).

My goal is to be any weight between 140-165lbs.

I have not weighed under 200lbs since I was in the 8th grade but the weird

thing is, is that I was more than active. I was an olympic development

program soccer player (along with being on a club team and a high school

varsity team) so I played soccer for 3 teams at once. On top of that I was

an avid swimmer and was on the varsity team in high school for all 4 years.

Then through out the 4 years of high school I was also a cross country runner,

cheerleader and track runner. And yet I was always over weight, never near

the healthy or proper weight I should be for my age or height.

In college I played 3 years of division two soccer, but this last year I didn't

play due to class schedule and interships, etc.

The heavist I got was 290lbs and that was near and after the time of my fathers

death in July 2008.

I made the decision to have the lapband surgery because I am sick of not

feeling healthy, being over weight, and not being able to do things I should

be able to do. I am dedicated to this life changing process and am slowly changing

habits, but there are still a few questions I have about the over all process, and

I thought asking people who have gone through what I am about begin to go through

would be the best audience to talk to.

1. How much should I expect to lose per week, month, or every 3/5 months?

( a minimum and maximum number would be a great help so I know what to aim

for)

2. What is some stories or advise for times when I am discouraged or feeling like

it isnt working?

3. For those of you who are more than 5 months into this: Is it difficult eating

the way you are eating? Does it seem like this way of eating is going to be hard

to do for the rest of your life? What are some good pointers?

4. Do you ever regret the surgery? Or are you ever embarassed to say that you

had to have a weight loss surgery? What are the things that give you the most

support and reassurance?

Thank you for all of your responses and for taking the time for reading this... your

answers will help me plan and map out my routines and also help me with things that

I have been mulling over in my head.

Sincerely

Jenya

Hi Jenya. I agree with what Dawn wrote about everyone is different and reading this forum daily will get you most of the information you need.

First off congratulations on your decision to be banded. It is the best thing you will ever do for yourself. I am 51 and I wish I had of had the opportunity to be banded when I was your age.

As you can see by my stats my hightest weight was 317. I was loosing on nutrisystem before I found out about the lap band in Mexico and how inexpensive it was.

When I started my pre-op Iwas 229 and at surgery was 269 so I lost 30 ounds on the pre-op diet. I did 2 slim fast shakes a day and a lein cuisine meal for dinnner. I pretended I was already banded so never drank with meals, cut out soda and walked 30 minutes a day.

The operation itself was no problem at all . Staff and facility were amasing and my surgery took 17 minutes.

I did have alot of bruising post op but it went away in a couple of weeks.

I have followed the rules very carefully that Iwas given at the OCC and lose on average 2-3 pounds a week.

I think if you follow the rules they give you and most important exercise 7 days a week you are going to see weight melt off at your age.

I have not had a fill yet and still feel restriction with no real hunger and am losing great just following the rules they gave me.

I am so excited that you are getting to start this so young. Oh yea I only told my best friend that I was going. I did not want a lot ofnegative feedback after I made the decision. I have since told my parents but no one else including my kids knows., When people ask how I am doing it I just say smaller poritions, excercise and cut out junk food . They stop asking questions then are are very excited for me.

Well I have to run to church now.

I am so happy for you. Keep us posted

Debbie

Hello and welcome to the group! Congrats on your decision! Wow, how great is that to have this done so young. I so wish I would have done this years ago! I never have regretted this decision for one second. I do not feel like it was an "easy way out" or ashamed of it. Those that have been doing this will be able to tell you that this is no easy fix. It is simply a tool and you can easily bunk the system and work around it and eat and not lose weight. Was watching at TV show one night on banding and the doctor said it perfectly - the band does about 30 percent of the work and the rest is up to you. Now i'm not gonna lie, are there times i'm jealous as all hell of my friends that are sitting there eating a big ole cheeseburger or roll in front of me - oh yes! But I look at all i've accomplished and I am so proud of it and don't really miss it. I had to get an unfill recently due to stress and I was able to eat anything. I"m not gonna lie - I had a cheeseburger w/ the bun and a roll and really it wasn't as great as I remembered it.

I haven't told everyone about my band and it's not that i'm hiding it, but I just decide who i'm gonna tell. My friends I have told have been very supportive. Some had a lot of questions and were concerned but I understand that. Surgery of any kind is not something to take lightly so they were just being good friends. Once they had more information they have been great. There are some friends I have not told because I know they won't understand. They have never had a weight problem and think just eat less and you will lose weight.

I was an athlete growing up as well - was a competitive dancer and although I did well, I was never a thin girl. I think the activity I was involved in helped keep my weight down a lot, but I still was never as small as the other girls, so I understand what you have gone though.

In terms of plateaus and steps back they are going to happen! You just need to take it a day at a time and celebrate your accomplishments. I haven't lost much since May and I just remember the great lifestyle changes i'm making and how it's going to enhance my life. That is worth it right there!

Best of luck! Can't wait to hear about your progress!!!!