Extra Skin

... doing a search, will often bring up a lot more info that starting a thread on the single topic.

It will also give you an idea of how often that question is being asked - which can be comforting. In the least, you'll know that you're the only one wondering.

If i wanted specific information, I'd want to read EVERYTHING on the subject - not just a thread that I start, that may, or may not get the answers I'm looking for.

It's really in your best interest to do the search to ensure you're getting a well rounded answer.

As a side note //

I've never met a group of people who are sooooo sensitive to responses on a forum in my life, as this one

I'm part of a lot of online forums & communities - nutrition/diet/fitness/bodybuilding and the like ... and this one, by far is the most 'sensitive'!

I find people get there back up about almost everything.

And area always bitching about me being 'insensitive' because I suggest things they may not agree with.

... doing a search, will often bring up a lot more info that starting a thread on the single topic. It will also give you an idea of how often that question is being asked - which can be comforting. In the least, you'll know that you're the only one wondering.
I completely agree with you on this subject. Well said. I want to clairfy with you that I have no bones about that. I myself use a wide variety of tools to get the information I seek. One often leads to another or in a entirely different direction. I think the banter of this topic is good. Not to mention clearly informs "newbies and veterans" of the value of a search feature. The point I feel I am failing to relay to you is tolerance. We all know you are not the soft squishy type. You get to the point and at times rather harshly, and with out reguard to other feelings.
If i wanted specific information, I'd want to read EVERYTHING on the subject - not just a thread that I start, that may, or may not get the answers I'm looking for. It's really in your best interest to do the search to ensure you're getting a well rounded answer.
As a side note // I've never met a group of people who are sooooo sensitive to responses on a forum in my life, as this one I'm part of a lot of online forums & communities - nutrition/diet/fitness/bodybuilding and the like ... and this one, by far is the most 'sensitive'! I find people get there back up about almost everything. And area always bitching about me being 'insensitive' because I suggest things they may not agree with.
Yes Lindsay - you couldn't have rang that bell any louder if you had tired. MANY obese people are sensitive. Many of us have used food to medicate a hurt or emotion. Which leads us into a cycle that feeds on us. Being more callus than the next person does not by any means make you any better or worse of a person. I for one think you have a good point, but your method of delivery in my opinion is harsh. I don't mind expressing my thoughts or complimenting you on good topics. If that puts me in the "catogory" of being overly sensitive then I claim that title with pride. I like who I am. I've not got the feeling from this board that "people" get there backs up about what I say. Maybe it would be wise to take a look at what so many people are saying.
  • Like 6

Okay, this is the last time Im going to reply about any of this. I may be (NEW) but Im not afraid to put my two cents as well. How do you guys know whether or not the people who have been banded between now and the last time a question was already asked dont mind explaining their situations? If this is the case then maybe the forum needs to be broken up in sections. (old members who been around for years and dont want to answer questions that have been answered already, and newer members where people can get more recent information). To tell you the truth maybe it is better that the newer people describe their situations more then the older members. The newer the better right. For those who dont want to respond, keep it pushing please. I think the first thing Lindsey shouldve done was just tell me how to search. Thats It. Im not that great with computers. I would just do a google search on my question (but why ask google, when there are poeple here that can answer directly. I now know how to do a forum search, Im not lazy, if I was I wouldnt even log in as much as I do now. Thank you all once again.

IF PEOPLE DIDN’T ASK QUESTION AND ONLY RELIED ON A SEARCH, IT WOULDN’T BE AS PERSONAL AS THIS FORUM IS, WHICH I LOVE. IT’D JUST BE ANOTHER SITE LIKE SO MANY WITH JUST INFORMATION ON IT

IF IT WASN'T FOR "ME" ASKING QUESTION AND GETTING ANSWERS BY "REAL PEOPLE" I PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE GONE TO THE OCC. I WANTED TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE THAT HAD GONE DOWN TO THE OCC AND SHARED THEIR EXPERIENCE. THOUGH AT THE TIME, THERE WASN'T NEAR AS MANY PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM, NOR ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS, I APPRECIATED ANY HELP I COULD GET IN HELP MAKING MY DECISION AND MAKING ME FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE WITH THAT DECISION

I KNEW I WAS MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION, I JUST WANTED REASSURANCE AND NO "SEARCH BOX" WAS GOING TO DO THAT.

AS I SIDE NOTE, ME PERSONALLY HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE “AM I TOO TIGHT” POSTS. (they usually already know the answer) BUT I TRY AND JUST AVOID THOSE. THERE LIKE TO ME, WELL YOU TELL ME, DUH, YOU CAN’T EAT SOLID FOODS, BEEN DRINKING NOTHING BUT LIQUIDS TO SURVIVE, DO YOU THINK THAT’S WHAT THE BAND IS ALL ABOUT? DO YA THINK THAT’S A HEALTHY WAY A LOSING WEIGHT? ok sorry lol i'll step down and avoid these lol ;)

This forum is an awesome place! Folks traveling to MX for surgery can get lists of what to do, bring, and expect before, during, and after. For fills (and unfills) they can get advice on whether what they are feeling or experiencing is normal and if they should wait it out or take action. For my daughter, she is terrified (literally) of needles to the point where she needed a sedative to get her first fill. Advice given on here for what to do (fill or unfill) is a big deal because of her extreme fears over that needle. I agree also that this forum is special in that as obese (or formerly obese) folks, our weight loss is so closely tied to other emotional issues, and we are a gold mine for discussing so much of that here. A little affirmation from someone who's "been there" means a great deal.

Asking posters to take a second and consider the feelings of a recipient or reader of a post is not asking too much. Being honest and direct is appreciated. It does not, however, give license to be negative.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but this is one of my pet peeves and I'd like to add my 2 cents here about this subject. LINDSAY IS RIGHT, there's a lot of members, new and old, that find it easier to ask questions than do a search. As a moderator here, I've found this to be true, but it's really their loss. Part of the educational process you'll find you'll learn more about this or any subject if you start surfing around and or doing a search. I can say that some members aren't that computer savy and they do have trouble finding information, which is OK, and yes, they'll need some help. BUT, there are some that are just lazy and find it easier to ask questions and get answers. My advise to any member if they have a question, first do a search, if you can't find the answer, send an email to either your patient coordinator or one of the moderators here at the forum. But, PLEASE, try doing a search first.

You know, like I said at the beginning of my post, I don't want anyone taking this the wrong way. Yes, the forum is here to help members with the life changing decision about choosing to have lap band surgery. Yes, most new patients have a lot of anxiety with the process of making a decision and it's great that we have members that like to help above and beyond. But everyone that posts here has their own style of writing and their own style of giving advise. Yes, I did jump into this subject and try to make members think about the search option. My goal was to get members to think and use the search option. As a moderator here for the 2 1/2 years, I get tons of questions that the answers are easily found here at the forum by doing a search. But I'm kind of glad that the subject of asking the same questions came up. Dr. Ortiz requested Lori and I to compile a list of FAQ. We have been working on this for the last 3 months. I don't know yet how he's going to address these questions, that decision hasn't been made yet. I'm hoping it will be a seperate section here at the forum. I've heard it might also be addressed in a different presentation or media, like maybe youtube or something like that. I'll keep you posted on what happens. As you know, the OCC has a list of "YOUTUBE" videos on different subjects, here's the link. LAPBAND VIDEOS

You know, like I said at the beginning of my post, I don't want anyone taking this the wrong way. Yes, the forum is here to help members with the life changing decision about choosing to have lap band surgery. Yes, most new patients have a lot of anxiety with the process of making a decision and it's great that we have members that like to help above and beyond. But everyone that posts here has their own style of writing and their own style of giving advise. Yes, I did jump into this subject and try to make members think about the search option. My goal was to get members to think and use the search option. As a moderator here for the 2 1/2 years, I get tons of questions that the answers are easily found here at the forum by doing a search. But I'm kind of glad that the subject of asking the same questions came up. Dr. Ortiz requested Lori and I to compile a list of FAQ. We have been working on this for the last 3 months. I don't know yet how he's going to address these questions, that decision hasn't been made yet. I'm hoping it will be a seperate section here at the forum. I've heard it might also be addressed in a different presentation or media, like maybe youtube or something like that. I'll keep you posted on what happens. As you know, the OCC has a list of "YOUTUBE" videos on different subjects, here's the link. LAPBAND VIDEOS

Dave - I believe your post did just that. I know it brought me back to the search feature, which by the way has improved greatly with the upgrade. It is much easier to find a members posts now. (maybe I can leave Carrie alone now.)

I do agree wholeheartedly about using the search feature for the wealth of information it can provide, and it was very good of you to speak up. I will say the delivery of what is said is as important in business, as in real life with the buds. Lindsay pointed out that this forum tends to be more sensitive in nature. Awareness is 1/2 the battle. I am teachable, however if you thawap me over the head, what is that teaching me....? Not to post again....? We are a better forum because of the members we have here. I appreciate your guidance and support. I remember your kindness when I was new and freaking out about my pre-op diet....You messages set me back on the ground again and assured me that it was going to be okay. I am grateful you took the time to help me.

What I have come to understand about this board or any for that matter, is that there are a ton of lurkers. Those who don't speak up. You can bet they are reading and searching there butts off too!

I will be more aware of the search feature because of this post. Not saying I won't run to my "friends" for help and support, but that is part of what makes me me. LOL

• Like 2

You know, SO WHAT SHE DID NOT USE THE SEARCH BUTTON...I think for me, the bottom line is that she asked a question and got a very rude response back. I dont care how many times someone asks a question, we as a forum should be willing to help her out. I know for myself I do use the search feature, I would rather ask one of my "friends" that I have made on this forum. This has been a WONDERFUL place for me throughout my journey. I know a couple of people that has the band, but I feel better coming here. There are some really wonderful people on this board to HELP others, form friendships, give advice. Angie is like a mother hin to alot of us and I thank her for that.

I too think there is a way to talk to people. I am not a sensitve person but some of the comments on this board that has been posted are uncalled for, we are humans and it does not take speaking like that to someone to make a point.

Angie, slimbutrfly and anyone else can bug me anytime to ask me a question, I do not mind at all. Thats why we are here!

Carrie

• Like 2

It’s not even Christmas day and I feel like I’m with my family.... For some reason we always have tiffs around the holidays. Emotions are all stirred up, things are hectic, and sometimes conversations get heated. Just don’t take anything too personal and know we all care and love each other. Written conversations are taken wrong more than any other form of communication, especially if you’re a blunt person. Most likely leaving would only do you damage – these types of issues happen from time to time, sometimes we just need to let it go, not worry about it and do what makes us happy.

Take care, happy holidays and love you all!

Lisa

• Like 2

my 2 cents... and yes I'm stirring the pot. I dont see any difference in Lindsays way of posting to that of Pammies all caps. I know Pammie means no harm, just as Lindsay but all caps implys shouting. * sorry for stirring *

Laura

NOPE, NO HARM :) (plus i've got thick thick skin)

HECK I RAN A BOARD FOR 6 YEARS, EVERYTHING IN CAPS AND YES, I'VE HEARD IT A MILLION TIMES "STOP YELLING" AFTER PEOPLE KNOW ME, THEY KNOW I'M NOT SHOUTING AT ANYONE. IT'S A HANDICAP THING I GOT WITH MY PINKY IS ALL.

All of this drama is making me want to leave the forum.....

AshleyMarie - although I understand the need to make healthy choices for ourselves, I hope that you stay. Personally I have been a member or this forum for the greater part of the year and there are a few posts that get like this one, I think the benefit from being a member here far outways the negativity. If a person is a bother to you, use your ignore feature. I have mine in use and I am glad it is there. Weeds out the stuff I don't care to see. Maybe that would work for you....

It’s not even Christmas day and I feel like I’m with my family.... For some reason we always have tiffs around the holidays. Emotions are all stirred up, things are hectic, and sometimes conversations get heated. Just don’t take anything too personal and know we all care and love each other. Written conversations are taken wrong more than any other form of communication, especially if you’re a blunt person. Most likely leaving would only do you damage – these types of issues happen from time to time, sometimes we just need to let it go, not worry about it and do what makes us happy.

Take care, happy holidays and love you all!

Lisa

Lisa,

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Carrie

Yeah, What is it about the holidays and this forum!!! Last year, the same thing. Personally, I have always felt that there is room for everyone's opinion, if you don't like what they say, ignore it and move on. Using the search feature is valuable for the wealth of information it provides for those who want to take the time to read. And asking the question over and over is okay too, because the forum always has new people with new experiences to talk about, plus it builds new relationships between new and old members. If you don't want to read/reply to a post, no one is making you. Sure,some of the posts get old to those of us who have been around awhile, I agree with Pammie about the "am I too tight" posts but I usually do not read them. People do seem a bit sensitive on this forum, especially to anyone who does not agree with them. But, it is what it is... Dawn

• 2 weeks later...

Lisa & Pammie, Thank you so much for brightening my day with your comments. :D I needed that. After the Christmas I had I am glad I read what you had to say before deciding to stick my head in the oven. -_- I think this whole thread has been a blessing in a backhanded, twisted sort of way (at least for this reader).

If someone doesn't like a post or doesn't want to respond then click your back button and look at the next. I say, ask away! You know, sometimes just putting your concern in writing and getting feed back to YOUR OWN STATEMENTS is way more comforting than reading the answers to someone else's questions.

If discussion is not what the forum is for then someone should just write a bunch of post answering all the possible questions and then close the board as read only. Whatever! There are more things in this life to worry about than someone posting a question that's already been asked.

Cindy

Lisa & Pammie, Thank you so much for brightening my day with your comments. :D I needed that. After the Christmas I had I am glad I read what you had to say before deciding to stick my head in the oven. -_- I think this whole thread has been a blessing in a backhanded, twisted sort of way (at least for this reader).

I had a hard Christmas too, I think something must just be in the air. I'm going forward with the thought that next year is going to be sooo much better than this year and what the hell. Just let it go, no one is going to annoy me, Im so far beyond being annoyable! (Yeah, its not a word but it fits)

Take care, seems we always have bumps in the road we have to navigate around, that's what keeps things interesting I guess! (By the way, I love your avatar)

Best,

Lisa