Extra Skin

Another question..lol!..I need to lose 100lbs Im 22 years old so i know i have (young skin), but am I going to have extra skin hangng? I think Ive heard people call the lower stomach an (apron, I have that now, where I could pick it up.(I know gross huh?) But if that fat is lost, will it still hang?..Im just in fear that im not going to look the way im expecting after losing all the weight.

• Like 1

pls do a forum search. this has been asked amillion times. very recently, too.
Lindsay - she is new. We get asked the same questions over and over. A bit of tolerance and some direction on how to search may be a more proactive approach. I do not see any rules that say you can't ask a question more than once. If it bugs you so much, move on to the next post. The new people don't know what has been ask a million times....hence being NEW.
  • Like 2

Another question..lol!..I need to lose 100lbs Im 22 years old so i know i have (young skin), but am I going to have extra skin hangng? I think Ive heard people call the lower stomach an (apron, I have that now, where I could pick it up.(I know gross huh?) But if that fat is lost, will it still hang?..Im just in fear that im not going to look to why im expecting after losing all the weight.

Hey slimbutrfly - I think there are several things that factor in to having the dreaded extra skin. Not to long ago, someone mentioned if you have stretch marks you are more apt to have extra skin. Also doing resistance training should help keep the skin and muscles tone and conditioned. Only time will tell. Staying hydrated and taking good care of your skin will be a plus too. I've heard that peeps who loose slower will be less apt to have extra skin too. Really who knows....

I am in the beginning of my weight loss and because I have gained and lost previously I will be having some "areas" that will need some help and I fully intend on having some work done.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

Thank you Angie, for sticking up for me, you took the words right out of my mouth! I wouldnt know how to search previous topics even if I wanted to. Do I have to search page after page?..I thik this is easier, those who can answer is fine with me. Ya,I heard drinking a lot of water would help. I just scraped every penny to have this surgery. Just seeing if im going to going to have to pay for more stuff. I know if I were to have any other work done, it wouldnt be for a while anyway. Its still nice to hear from the people who its actually happing to...thanks for those who respond.

Another question..lol!..I need to lose 100lbs Im 22 years old so i know i have (young skin), but am I going to have extra skin hangng? I think Ive heard people call the lower stomach an (apron, I have that now, where I could pick it up.(I know gross huh?) But if that fat is lost, will it still hang?..Im just in fear that im not going to look the way im expecting after losing all the weight.

Hi. You are so young that you will probably lose your weight and not have an apron. Just exercise the whole time you are losing and your skin should tighten up.

Good luck

Debbie

Hard to say - my guess is you will have loose skin even though you are young. 100 lbs is quite a bit of weight to loose so you might have some. My arms are where I have it worst, but it is definitely better than having the weight!

Hi Slimbuterfly!

Ask ALL the questions you need to here girl! I dont think there has been a question asked on this forum that has not been asked before, SO WHAT if it has been asked before, that must mean that you dont know the answer. We are here to help. I know for me when I was making my decision, I must have asked a 100 questions and trust me I think I asked them more than once...lol...

As far as the apron, I have an apron and I have right at 100 maybe 110 pounds that I want to loose, right know I am right at 80 pounds lost and I still have my apron, but honesly I have not worked out as much as I should be doing. I think it all depends on how much you work out and your skin itself, I know for me I had a c-section and those muscles have been cut, but I think exercise would do help me regardless. I have been trying to get back to exercise, I just cant seem to get myself motivated....

Not sure if anyone answered your question, sorry I did not read all the responses, but you can click the search button and put in "key" words that you are wondering about and it will pull up post with that word or phrase it in....Sometimes I still have a problem with that search thing...

Good Luck to you and keep those questions coming, that is the only way we can learn! ;)

Carrie

• Like 1

I sure hope that this is typo and you are not being condescending to everybody :(

Copying a link 3 times is a little excessive and implies you don't want anyone asking questions. We all came to this forum to ask questions and learn about lap band so that we could make an informed decision. I was banded in September and still sign on at least 3-4 times a day to read the forum, ask questions, encourage others and answer newbies questions. If you don't like questions just skip over them and please don't snap back answers that could hurt someone and stop them from using such an amazing tool like this forum.

I have learned so much here and really appreciate all those that answered my questions and encouraged me. Respect is key to any relationship whether it is face to face or through communicating on this site.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to answer my questions. Had anyone responded to me like this I probably would never have come back to the site and possibly would have not had surgery. Thankfully I had wonderful support and am now down 82 pounds. Lindsey please remember you are dealing with peoples emotions before you reply. Your responce can really have a negative or a positive impact on someone. Try and chose positive or don't respond at all.

Debbie

I sure hope that this is typo and you are not being condescending to everybody sad.gif

Copying a link 3 times is a little excessive and implies you don't want anyone asking questions. We all came to this forum to ask questions and learn about lap band so that we could make an informed decision. I was banded in September and still sign on at least 3-4 times a day to read the forum, ask questions, encourage others and answer newbies questions. If you don't like questions just skip over them and please don't snap back answers that could hurt someone and stop them from using such an amazing tool like this forum.

I have learned so much here and really appreciate all those that answered my questions and encouraged me. Respect is key to any relationship whether it is face to face or through communicating on this site.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to answer my questions. Had anyone responded to me like this I probably would never have come back to the site and possibly would have not had surgery. Thankfully I had wonderful support and am now down 82 pounds. Lindsey please remember you are dealing with peoples emotions before you reply. Your responce can really have a negative or a positive impact on someone. Try and chose positive or don't respond at all.

Debbie

Hi Debbie! I wanted to take a moment and let you know that each of the links the Lindsay posted are for seperate links. (Although it looks like the same link, if you click each of them they take you to different posts.) Tricky. Personally, I totally stink using the search features. Turth be told even when I am looking for a certain post, I ask Carrie to help me. lol

I want to say you are so right on about your point on kindness. A little bit goes along way. The beauty of a forum is all the differnent points of view and people. We don't need to be harsh to anyone asking for help.

Lindsay - I really appreciate you putting those posts up. That was awesome. It is easier to coach someone through something, especially when they are new. If they learn from the experience then they can pass it on later. One thing is for certain, if you stick around this forum for a long period of time you will see the same questions over and over. The cool thing about it for me is, I was once the one asking, and now I am often times the one responding!

When I first became a member here, I really didn't have much to offer, but I sure wanted to become involved. Most of the members really where friendly and had good relationships with each other. That was very attractive. Now, I am pleased to say that I have several banded friends, and some I even speak with over the phone or txt! Which is very cool!

• Like 2

Hi Debbie! I wanted to take a moment and let you know that each of the links the Lindsay posted are for seperate links. (Although it looks like the same link, if you click each of them they take you to different posts.) Tricky. Personally, I totally stink using the search features. Turth be told even when I am looking for a certain post, I ask Carrie to help me. lol

I want to say you are so right on about your point on kindness. A little bit goes along way. The beauty of a forum is all the differnent points of view and people. We don't need to be harsh to anyone asking for help.

Lindsay - I really appreciate you putting those posts up. That was awesome. It is easier to coach someone through something, especially when they are new. If they learn from the experience then they can pass it on later. One thing is for certain, if you stick around this forum for a long period of time you will see the same questions over and over. The cool thing about it for me is, I was once the one asking, and now I am often times the one responding!

When I first became a member here, I really didn't have much to offer, but I sure wanted to become involved. Most of the members really where friendly and had good relationships with each other. That was very attractive. Now, I am pleased to say that I have several banded friends, and some I even speak with over the phone or txt! Which is very cool!

Hi Carrie. Thanks for pointing that out. It looked to me like it was the same link. I will apologize to Lindsey

Thanks

Debbie

I understand this a forum to ask questions, but honestly, when the exact same questions are coming up over and over, it's time to do a SEARCH.

HI Lindsey. I apologize for thinking you sent the same link three times in a row. It was pointed out to me that they were three different link.

Debbie

Thank You ALL soo much for responding! I didn't mean to start any conflict. I know for those who have been members for a while, probably do get frusterated with seeing the same questions over, however there also has been NEW* people who have lost the weight and maybe have had a similar situation to mine, since the last time the question has been asked. Things change all the time, people are reaching their goal weight all the time, and new people create accounts all the time. I dont think theres anything I would cange about this forum. It has helped my family understand my choice to go to Mexico, and it puts them at ease to know that there are thousands of people I could talk to, who have done the same thing Im going to do, and they are all just fine. I call this (BANDSPACE) kindve like a myspace for lap banders, personally I like this one more..lol. Lindsey/MYNEWLIFE.. thanks for the tip, Ill try next time to search for my questions before. ANGIEB and REVYD ..you guys are great supporters!

Hey guys, Amy here-another Newbie. I would like to say "Thank You" to everyone who post here. The good, the bad, and the ugly. That is one thing I like about this forum.....everyone is honest. It's nice to know you'll get encouragement, answers and even frustrations at times. Everyone is at different places in there journey and it's nice to see you can let your hair down here - with respect to others!

Slimbutrfly: thanks for asking-wondering the same thing. Sometime I don't have but a few min. to check-in and I'll pull up the most recent post first. If I am looking for something specific, I do try to do a search but sometimes can't find what I'm looking for and ask the question. Everyone here is wonderful - Just remember: We're all in the same boat...just in different areas. Keep paddling, girl!!

Thank You ALL soo much for responding! I didn't mean to start any conflict. I know for those who have been members for a while, probably do get frusterated with seeing the same questions over, however there also has been NEW* people who have lost the weight and maybe have had a similar situation to mine, since the last time the question has been asked. Things change all the time, people are reaching their goal weight all the time, and new people create accounts all the time. I dont think theres anything I would cange about this forum. It has helped my family understand my choice to go to Mexico, and it puts them at ease to know that there are thousands of people I could talk to, who have done the same thing Im going to do, and they are all just fine. I call this (BANDSPACE) kindve like a myspace for lap banders, personally I like this one more..lol. Lindsey/MYNEWLIFE.. thanks for the tip, Ill try next time to search for my questions before. ANGIEB and REVYD ..you guys are great supporters!

Hey there! It really make me sad to have anyone feel uncomfortable coming here to ask a question. PERSONALLY speaking I say screw the search! LOL This is your bandspace just as much as it is anyone elses. Matter of fact, I would just ignore the posts you don't care for. I recently added someone to my irgnore list. Why, cuz most the "crap" that they have come out there mouth is just that crap. It turns me off. It has turned me off to the point of using a feature I had not used before. Do what is right for you. Darn near everyone on this board is very nice and supportive, heck they have been putting up with me for a while now! LOL

Glad you have found some good stuff here and that your family can see people who are thriving with the band. Everyone has something to offer. Besides if you find all your info by searching OLD threads how are we suppose to get to know new people. Leave the haters to hate. Come on and enjoy the majority of the group who are happy and postive!

What is that saying one bad apple can spoil the bunch. Don't let one persons comments keep you from enjoying the happy upbeat people here. I am addicted to this forum and have learned so much from reading and asking questions.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat with the skin, but I've got stretch marks and had 2 c-sections. I totally plan on getting a tummy tuck--almost did it first before realizing I could get the lap band this way.

Along with gym work I plan on getting monthly massages. Another friend who lost a lot of weight did the massages and it really helped her skin. I'm more worried about legs and arms because I will have the surgery on the tummy area. I know massages are rather pricey, but there's a massage school right by me that is about 25% of the regular price.

I was banded in June 08, I have lost over 80lbs and had lots of hanging skin. Also due to 2 c-cections and rapid weight loss. I had my boddy lift and lipo, breast lift and implants this june of 09. and love what the doctor did for me. If you want to see my before and after send me an e-mail shrty83524@gmail.com

Everyone is different so it depends on you as an individual. Hope this helped you.

So, I guess I'll add my 2 cents in ...

The younger you are, the more elasticity you have in your skin.

Being so young, you definitely have that as a huge benefit!

It's a pretty safe bet, that while ver quick weight loss doesn't give your skin a chance to bounce back nearly as quick as slower, gradual loss, you probably won't have much of a concern with it.

Plus, what's worse:

Being unhealthy, severely over weight,

or having a bit of extra skin, to remind you of all the work you put in, and the results?! :)

You're still very young - this shouldn't be an issue for you! :)

Mine wasn't horrible and 10 years ago I would have loved to have been where I was size wise when I had my TT and Arm Lift. I did not have to have these surgeries, but I decided to have them because if I was going to do this I was going to do it all the way so that there was no turning back. My inner thighs and breasts are my next issues to deal with, but they will just have to wait a bit longer.

If the hanging aprong is bad enough some insurance companies will cover the plastic surgery. Things such as rashes, infections and any other hygiene issues usually have to be proven, but if this is the situation you eventually find yourself in it is worth a try. I have some love handles that my doctor would have liked to have removed, but they didn't bother me enough to justify the extra cost of a lower body lift. You may discover that even if you do have some hanging skin that it doesn't bother you enough to even consider having more surgeries.

Don't let what you may or may not look like in the future rule your mind right now. What you need to focus on right now is getting the surgery set up and becoming a healthier you. Future surgeries can be thought about when the time comes.

I understand this a forum to ask questions, but honestly, when the exact same questions are coming up over and over, it's time to do a SEARCH.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but this is one of my pet peeves and I'd like to add my 2 cents here about this subject. LINDSAY IS RIGHT, there's a lot of members, new and old, that find it easier to ask questions than do a search. As a moderator here, I've found this to be true, but it's really their loss. Part of the educational process you'll find you'll learn more about this or any subject if you start surfing around and or doing a search. I can say that some members aren't that computer savy and they do have trouble finding information, which is OK, and yes, they'll need some help. BUT, there are some that are just lazy and find it easier to ask questions and get answers. My advise to any member if they have a question, first do a search, if you can't find the answer, send an email to either your patient coordinator or one of the moderators here at the forum. But, PLEASE, try doing a search first.

• Like 1

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but this is one of my pet peeves and I'd like to add my 2 cents here about this subject. LINDSAY IS RIGHT, there's a lot of members, new and old, that find it easier to ask questions than do a search. As a moderator here, I've found this to be true, but it's really their loss. Part of the educational process you'll find you'll learn more about this or any subject if you start surfing around and or doing a search. I can say that some members aren't that computer savy and they do have trouble finding information, which is OK, and yes, they'll need some help. BUT, there are some that are just lazy and find it easier to ask questions and get answers. My advise to any member if they have a question, first do a search, if you can't find the answer, send an email to either your patient coordinator or one of the moderators here at the forum. But, PLEASE, try doing a search first.

I can see the point you, and Lindsay are making. I even agree to a certain degree, but what I think is the most important thing to remember is that no matter what the topic, question, or how many times it has been covered, every member here should feel the freedom to ask a question. (Especially if they are new) When I was new, I didn’t even realize there was a search function. (Duh, yes I know, but I was engrossed in the new topics, feeling my way around, and getting to know the people who posted here.)

Lindsay pointed out the search feature to me when I was new; I am left to assume I asked “one of those questions.” Frankly, I was stunned by her approach, and lack of sensitivity. It doesn’t take much to teach someone how to do something, and it goes a long way. However if you thump someone, it tends to hurt, and even scare off potential members from posting. Some members do not have a thick skin to deal with a harsh tone. I have learned a lot of information from the links Lindsay posts. Her knowledge on health, clean eating, fitness, have proven very helpful. Her membership here is valuable to her and the people she shares with.

After being here a while, you do see the same questions over and over again. That is part of forum life. What information is not pinned is going to be asked, that is a fact. It is easy to be quick to say do a search, but what I have found most rewarding is the relationships I have made on this forum from HELPING them.

I do a lot of behind the scenes learning here and am a better person for it. Still there is nothing comparable to relationships built with people. Of coarse, I am a more intimate person, maybe that is why I don’t see an issue with people reaching out. It creates bonds. Besides old posts by members long gone, don’t have the follow up current members have. When I have asked questions I’ve found it most helpful because it is living knowledge.

To close this, I would like to say that I have had endless messages in my personal inbox of members expressing there thanks and gratitude for a wee bit of time I have spent helping or answering a question or two. Personal touch is rewarding and goes a long way.

• Like 3