One Week from getting Banded-Not Doing Well--HELP!

Hi all-

Just joined this site to see if I could get some help/support with my band experience. My surgery was 12/10 and since I woke up from surgery, I have been miserable. Yesterday (after crying from exhausion and discomfort), I finally went back into the docs office where they pulled out all of the fluid in my band (about 3.5 cc). I felt a lot better right away, but not 100%. I still have pain and discomfort, a lot of gurgling and my stomach hurts like the same pain you feel when you don't eat for a while. I have been following the liquid diet except today I had about 1/2 cup mashed potatoes because I just wanted the hunger pangs to go away. Is this normal for the first week? I have been trying to push out the thoughts of regret for getting the band, but they keep creeping back in. Any words or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am sorry for your experience. It doesn't sound like you were banded through the OCC. They do not give you a fill with your surgery. Your surgery is the installation of your band with a 21 day liquid diet for healing. They then recommend your first fill 6-8 weeks after your initial surgery. Not sure who you went through but I would contact them. If you don't feel comfortable, do a 21 day liquid diet to heal up! All my best and I am sorry for the complications.

I felt a bit yucky the first 2 weeks but it was worth it! Why did they have fluid in your band or am I missing something? I hope you feel better soon and good luck!

Hi all-

Just joined this site to see if I could get some help/support with my band experience. My surgery was 12/10 and since I woke up from surgery, I have been miserable. Yesterday (after crying from exhausion and discomfort), I finally went back into the docs office where they pulled out all of the fluid in my band (about 3.5 cc). I felt a lot better right away, but not 100%. I still have pain and discomfort, a lot of gurgling and my stomach hurts like the same pain you feel when you don't eat for a while. I have been following the liquid diet except today I had about 1/2 cup mashed potatoes because I just wanted the hunger pangs to go away. Is this normal for the first week? I have been trying to push out the thoughts of regret for getting the band, but they keep creeping back in. Any words or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sorry this is going rough on you--hang in there if you can. As was already said, many of us here were banded by Dr Ortiz, who only places your lapband at surgery. No fill until 6 to 8 weeks. This is so the band can heal into place, and you, the owner, can get used to it. Clear liquids are required for the first week, then graduate up to protein shakes, etc. after that. For the hunger pangs, many here use the chewable benefiber tablets to give your stomach something to do other than gurgle. :) Stay in the fight--you're gonna do awesome!!