Restriciton?

Not sure? I am on day 3 of solid foods and wondering how do you know if you have restriction.

I get full very fast. Is that restriction or just a shrunken stomach. (that sounds like one of those native things...."a shrunken stomach".) Sorry, got side tracked. I am really trying to pay attention to my body and stop when I feel like I'm getting full. I have not had any problem with things going down, thank goodness. Still continuing to lose. No biggie - just wondering! Loving my Band!

One of the ways you know you have restriction is with soft stops. Soft Stops are signals that tell you it is time to stop eating. They are warnings the band gives you.

They can be any of these or a combination of these:

Tightness in your chest

Runny Nose

Coughing

Hiccups

Burping

Gurgling

Shoulder Pain

Back Pain

I have only had 4 restiction episods and they were a mixture of tightness in the chest, back pain, gurgling and burping.

Dr. Acosta (fill Dr. at OCC) says you will know when you have restriction if you can only consume 1/2 - 1/3 of what you used to eat before being banded and you are completely full. The example he used is if you could eat 3 enchiladas before being banded then you should now only be able to eat 1 or 1.5 and be full for the next 3 to 4 hours.

One of the ways you know you have restriction is with soft stops. Soft Stops are signals that tell you it is time to stop eating. They are warnings the band gives you.

They can be any of these or a combination of these:

Tightness in your chest

Runny Nose

Coughing

Hiccups

Burping

Gurgling

Shoulder Pain

Back Pain

I have only had 4 restiction episods and they were a mixture of tightness in the chest, back pain, gurgling and burping.

Dr. Acosta (fill Dr. at OCC) says you will know when you have restriction if you can only consume 1/2 - 1/3 of what you used to eat before being banded and you are completely full. The example he used is if you could eat 3 enchiladas before being banded then you should now only be able to eat 1 or 1.5 and be full for the next 3 to 4 hours.

Good questions, Amy, and thanks, Bandita, I now know for SURE I have no restriction. I started eating solids last Thursday and can't tell any difference from before I was banded. I was really hoping to have at least a little restriction, but oh well. Now I'm just trying to maintain until Feb 22, my first fill date!

Amy, I think you're doing well if you can stop as soon as you're full. That's been my problem--once I start eating, I have just one more bite over and over again! :huh:

Not sure? I am on day 3 of solid foods and wondering how do you know if you have restriction.

I get full very fast. Is that restriction or just a shrunken stomach. (that sounds like one of those native things...."a shrunken stomach".) Sorry, got side tracked. I am really trying to pay attention to my body and stop when I feel like I'm getting full. I have not had any problem with things going down, thank goodness. Still continuing to lose. No biggie - just wondering! Loving my Band!

Oh, TRUST ME, you will know when you have restriction. I didn't have it until my second fill, really. After 3 fills and a slight unfill(all at OCC), I feel that I'm in my sweet spot. Now, when I eat too fast, or eat something that doesn't agree with my band, I get a definite pain in my chest. When that happens, I put the fork down immediately. It is so uncomfortable and takes about 10 minutes to dissipate. Walking it off helps a lot. I went through a period there where it seemed like nothing would go down without me having to slime and get rid of it. But now I am doing very well.

So until you get to your restriction, just try to eat a third of what you used to prior to being banded. This will help prepare you for when you do reach restriction. At that time, you will have to learn what agrees with your band and what doesn't. Everyone is different! Best of luck!

Oh, TRUST ME, you will know when you have restriction. I didn't have it until my second fill, really. After 3 fills and a slight unfill(all at OCC), I feel that I'm in my sweet spot. Now, when I eat too fast, or eat something that doesn't agree with my band, I get a definite pain in my chest. When that happens, I put the fork down immediately. It is so uncomfortable and takes about 10 minutes to dissipate. Walking it off helps a lot. I went through a period there where it seemed like nothing would go down without me having to slime and get rid of it. But now I am doing very well.

So until you get to your restriction, just try to eat a third of what you used to prior to being banded. This will help prepare you for when you do reach restriction. At that time, you will have to learn what agrees with your band and what doesn't. Everyone is different! Best of luck!

Thank you, that makes perfectly good sense. Ok, so at least now I know I have no restriction and really need to pay attention to want goes in my mouth. Just scheduled my first fill at OCC. Can't wait.

Thank you!!!

Can you tell us a little more about your unfill at the OCC? Did you know right away or have to make a trip back? I live across the country and although I am pretty much decided to go back for my fills, I worry about needing an unfill.

Can you tell us a little more about your unfill at the OCC? Did you know right away or have to make a trip back? I live across the country and although I am pretty much decided to go back for my fills, I worry about needing an unfill.

Well, I drove down to the OCC and Dr. So added 4ccs. On the scope, it looked just right. But after I got home and lived with it for a couple of days, I realized it was just too uncomfortable. Even water hurt going down. I know some people like to be tight, but I'm not one of them! I would rather lose weight slower than lose weight fast because I can't swallow anything. I am fortunate that I am only a couple hours drive from the border. If I were you and didn't have access quickly to the OCC, I would "sneak up" on my sweet spot. Less amounts of saline I mean, during a fill.

Well, I drove down to the OCC and Dr. So added 4ccs. On the scope, it looked just right. But after I got home and lived with it for a couple of days, I realized it was just too uncomfortable. Even water hurt going down. I know some people like to be tight, but I'm not one of them! I would rather lose weight slower than lose weight fast because I can't swallow anything. I am fortunate that I am only a couple hours drive from the border. If I were you and didn't have access quickly to the OCC, I would "sneak up" on my sweet spot. Less amounts of saline I mean, during a fill.

Red & Angie (for another post similar to this one) thank you so Much!! Red- you and I have the same band and I have 6ccs right now. I know everyone is different but your post above has convinced me even more that I really only need another .5 cc at my next fill on 2/15. It is posts like this one that really make this board priceless in my opinion. I have had 8 restiction episodes in the last month since being banded and out of those 8 episodes 2 resulted in me literally eating only 1/2 my food that I normally would eat. So in my opinion I know I am close and I do not want to be in a situation where I can only eat a couple of bites at best that would devistate me mentally. Being in tune with my body I know that I should experience good restiction at 6.5 or 7cc so I am going to play it safe. For us Red we can b/c we live so close to the OCC.