restriction

So I got my fill about one and 1/2 weeks ago and this feeling is very weird. I eat and I get a tightness in my chest. Obviously, telling me that I am full but my stomach feels empty. My mind gets confused and I want to eat more but I stop because I know I am full. What a weird game your mind plays on you. I chewed really well tonight and was able to get some pork down, so I am glad I got some protein in, as I have had no real meat since my fill. It was a very small peice but I wanted to try. I have done well with salad, I had a piece get a little lodged in there the other day but that was my own fault because I did not chew it enough, lesson learned. I hope I am not too tight. I can eat about 1 cup of food, maybe a touch more. I have lost about 4 pounds since my fill. This is probebly the best fill I have received so far as far as restriction. I realise now that I really had no restriction before and that is why I was able to eat like I was. I am very excited about the possiblities of losing weight again. This being full and feeling that tightness in your chest is really a feeling I have not felt since getting banded. Does anyone else get that feeling but your stomach is empty? Is there anything you can do before you eat to help the lower stomach feel satisfied? Any type of drink maybe? Is that a good idea?

So I got my fill about one and 1/2 weeks ago and this feeling is very weird. I eat and I get a tightness in my chest. Obviously, telling me that I am full but my stomach feels empty. My mind gets confused and I want to eat more but I stop because I know I am full. What a weird game your mind plays on you. I chewed really well tonight and was able to get some pork down, so I am glad I got some protein in, as I have had no real meat since my fill. It was a very small peice but I wanted to try. I have done well with salad, I had a piece get a little lodged in there the other day but that was my own fault because I did not chew it enough, lesson learned. I hope I am not too tight. I can eat about 1 cup of food, maybe a touch more. I have lost about 4 pounds since my fill. This is probebly the best fill I have received so far as far as restriction. I realise now that I really had no restriction before and that is why I was able to eat like I was. I am very excited about the possiblities of losing weight again. This being full and feeling that tightness in your chest is really a feeling I have not felt since getting banded. Does anyone else get that feeling but your stomach is empty? Is there anything you can do before you eat to help the lower stomach feel satisfied? Any type of drink maybe? Is that a good idea?

Stormy,

I'm glad you got a great fill, they are so important with this process. I don't know of any tricks to help with the fullness feeling. However, I have had a really great fill for the last 3 months. I may be a tad tight but overall it is pretty good. Here's what I do in order to be sure I get my protein requirements but also not circumvent the band.

breakfast: protein shake

snack: greek yogurt

lunch: lowfat chilli or Soup or tuna fish, something like that with a small salad and lowfat dressing

snack: cheese stick or a handful of almonds and a 1/2 piece of fruit

Dinner: 2-3 ounces of protein (typically chicken for me), a vegetable and sometimes a tiny bit of starch (1 - 2 tablespoons)

If I want a treat, I opt for skinny cow ice-cream, or weight watchers. I try and keep the sugar really limited though so I don't do these very often.

I work out every day and having the snacks built in helps me make it through my day and the workouts. I typically workout for 1.5 hours 5-6 days a week. I also am studying for my master's degree so needless to say I am a busy woman! ;)

Bottom line - enjoy the restriction but don't fight it. If the band tells you to stop - stop. That was the biggest lesson I had to learn. There are times that I am hungry but the band won't let me eat. I have to step away from the food and make other arrangements. I have a horrible metabolism, so this journey has been slow for me, but I work it every day. I am finally 175 and realize that I can reach my goals. I have a goal to get 30 lbs off this year which will be amazing. I have been working at this since November 2007 and started at 267 lbs and am 5'2". It still is amazing to me when I think about it.

Good luck with your journey! Remember to focus on your protein, eat your vege's and limit starch. And get plenty of exercise and drink a ton of water.

Good luck!

Stormy...

Try having a small cup of warm soup immediately before attempting to eat some solid food. This works for me...I think it must relax the plastic in the saline filled channel of the lap band and allows for the more solid food mass to pass thru. And eat really slowly and only take tiny bites (that you've chewed to mush)!!

:rolleyes:

What I actively think about every time I'm hungry"

- eating VERY slow. Chewing ...

a- m i hungry, or am i just bored.

- i do have to snack during the day, or I don't get nearly enough cal's in a day.

I find eating high fibre cereal really really helps. Even if it's just a small little handful.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have some great restriction! I know for me after each fill it's like I have to learn how to eat all over again. Since my last fill i'm just finally getting the hang of it again. Just take it slow and like you said when your body says you are done then stop! I tried to push it too many times and paid the price. Today I got full after just a few bites and as rediculous as it felt I quit and that was it! Still after all this time it's hard to wrap my head around, but it's nice!

Stormy!

I agree with Kristi and Shelby. Congrats on the 4 pounds!

Since my last fill I have had really great restriction as well and like Shelby says you really adjust. My band this past week has REALLY tightened on me, and I have had to be REALLY careful with it. This morning I went to Starbuck and got a Frap and the first drink was VERY thick in my throat, kind just sat there. I have been able to eat a couple of bits of food and thats it. I have been drinking protien and eating ALOT of beans just to get my calories and protien in. The band is so different with every. The food that I might be able to eat might not as you know. I would just take it easy and chew really well. I would also try to eat really high protien foods, maybe even drink protien shakes in the monring to keep you full. If I feel a little hungry, I can grab a cup of coffee and it does the trick for me!

Dr, Miranda told me that we should not be hungry in between meals. You might not be able to eat meat right now, stick to softer foods where you can eat more of to keep you full. Maybe you could talk with her. I think you are just fine and I think you just have a REALLY good fill that you are going to have to work with and find out what is going to work with it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican food, chips and dip is one thing I have had a really hard time giving up, but since this last fill, I barely can do them. THANK YOU JESUS!!! :D