Gained Weight during Pre-OP period! HELP

I feel terrible. I'm only 3 weeks until my surgery and I've gained 4 lbs - which is a total of 9 lbs since I decided to get the lap band. I don't know if i'm eating out of being nervous, or scared that I'm about to lose my best friend (food) or what.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting over this mental hump???? I work from home so I pretty much always have access to food which really sucks.

I'm so disappointed in myself and just reminds me of why I'm getting the band to begin with.

Hi B2010,

Don't be too hard on yourself. When I was approved for the surgery, they told me to lose 11 pounds and within 1 month I gained 4. Ugh...

I am a stay at home Mom and (online)college student, so I understand about being home and having access to food.

So I cut out all the breads, rices, pastas, diet sodas and even though I rarely ate fried foods, those were completely gone too. It really helped, because I lost the weight needed in no time.

What worked for me, was anytime I decided I was hungry, I got a bottle of water and downed it. I have heard others who chewed gum when they have the head hunger/food urge, I didn't because I knew once banded, gum is a no no. For me, the water helped with the mental hunger. I kept to only the 3 meals a day and for 1-2 meals a day I had an EAS low carb protein drink. They are really tasty.

Keep your chin up, you can do this. :) I have faith in you!

Hugs,

Kristi

The easiest of the three diet choices for me was the one with two protein drinks and one lean cuisine per day. It´d helped that I knew if I didn´t lose the weight I wouldn´t be able to get the surgery.

Don´t worry, you still have plenty of time to lose it if you start now. Just keep telling yourself that it´s temporary, because it is. And use Kristy´s water trick or gum--either may make it much easier.

Hello,

I agree with Jill. I am on the pre-op diet too and I am doing the two protein shakes and one frozen meal except I switched to Amy's all natural/organic. Also, benefiber..Lots of water, tea, and if real hungry a string cheese in the afternoon, so far I have lost 5 of the 12 I am supposed to loose...I just think of my daughter who did this first and make myself read, walk, or go to bed if I get a weak moment! Hang in there..its worth it.

Michele

I did the 2 shakes/1 meal a day also. I lost exactly 10 lbs and that was right up to the wire. I thought I'd be 8 or 9 lbs down on surgery day but I made it.

As far as having access to food, you will after your band too. Do what I did, toss the bad stuff out. I told my family none of us needed them. Yes, it was wasteful. But so is tossing all that food down the gullet of a woman who is already over 200 lbs. And I only did it once. I then went out and purchased healthier foods. I'm not talking a box of Weight Watchers Twinkies that I could still scarf down. I bought fruit, veggies, and yogurt. The one concession I made for my son's lunch was Pop Chips. I tried making my own low cal chips. FAIL! And those I put in individual sandwich bags set aside for my sons lunch.

Today I packed in his lunch, grilled chicken, a small bag of pop chips, carrot coins (NO Ranch Dressing), apple, Greek blueberry yogurt, and a hard boiled egg. He has a mid morning snack and another after school because he does a Homework club.

I went through the "Last Meal" phase too and put on some weight. Then I remembered why they wanted us to lose the weight, so our liver wouldn't be fatty and cause complications. I've had many surgeries and know how rough it is and came to the conclusion that I wanted to be as healthy as possible for my surgery. Every time I turned away from bad food I envisioned my liver getting healthier. Everytime I ate a good meal I envisioned the fat coming off my liver. I'd also ask myself what was what I was eating worth a complication in surgery? I scared myself but it worked. I thought i read somehwhere that there is a video on YouTube of a surgery and when you see the liver you see the importance of losing the weight. That was going to be my last resort and I didn't need it. Thank God!!

My surgery went quite well, by the way. I've felt far worse after a dental procedure. I have a cold now though and I'm a bit sore with all the coughing and sneezing but no pain meds required. Surgery was Friday 2/19.

Commit to a healthier you. You deserve it. Think of all the things you'll be able to do that you can't do now.

I feel terrible. I'm only 3 weeks until my surgery and I've gained 4 lbs - which is a total of 9 lbs since I decided to get the lap band. I don't know if i'm eating out of being nervous, or scared that I'm about to lose my best friend (food) or what.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting over this mental hump???? I work from home so I pretty much always have access to food which really sucks.

I'm so disappointed in myself and just reminds me of why I'm getting the band to begin with.

Write down what you're eating.

EXACTLY what you're eating. (not what you 'want' to think you're just eating)

It's a great way of reflecting.

I think the misconception is that the band will prevent you from over eating.

Because it definitely won't.

Getting a handle on emotional eating isn't something that will be cured, fixed nor repaired with the band.

There are a million and one ways of cheating the band.

I did the 2 shakes/1 meal a day also. I lost exactly 10 lbs and that was right up to the wire. I thought I'd be 8 or 9 lbs down on surgery day but I made it.

As far as having access to food, you will after your band too. Do what I did, toss the bad stuff out. I told my family none of us needed them. Yes, it was wasteful. But so is tossing all that food down the gullet of a woman who is already over 200 lbs. And I only did it once. I then went out and purchased healthier foods. I'm not talking a box of Weight Watchers Twinkies that I could still scarf down. I bought fruit, veggies, and yogurt. The one concession I made for my son's lunch was Pop Chips. I tried making my own low cal chips. FAIL! And those I put in individual sandwich bags set aside for my sons lunch.

Today I packed in his lunch, grilled chicken, a small bag of pop chips, carrot coins (NO Ranch Dressing), apple, Greek blueberry yogurt, and a hard boiled egg. He has a mid morning snack and another after school because he does a Homework club.

I went through the "Last Meal" phase too and put on some weight. Then I remembered why they wanted us to lose the weight, so our liver wouldn't be fatty and cause complications. I've had many surgeries and know how rough it is and came to the conclusion that I wanted to be as healthy as possible for my surgery. Every time I turned away from bad food I envisioned my liver getting healthier. Everytime I ate a good meal I envisioned the fat coming off my liver. I'd also ask myself what was what I was eating worth a complication in surgery? I scared myself but it worked. I thought i read somehwhere that there is a video on YouTube of a surgery and when you see the liver you see the importance of losing the weight. That was going to be my last resort and I didn't need it. Thank God!!

My surgery went quite well, by the way. I've felt far worse after a dental procedure. I have a cold now though and I'm a bit sore with all the coughing and sneezing but no pain meds required. Surgery was Friday 2/19.

Commit to a healthier you. You deserve it. Think of all the things you'll be able to do that you can't do now.

This is a great post!

Thanks so much you guys. I really appreciate the straight shooters! I also have a son that is 8 and before having him I never ever had some of the types of food I now keep in the house. I'm going to do what you said about bagging things up separately for his lunch - I think that's a great idea.

Also the whole liver thing - I never thought of it that way at all......which is a really great point. I always think more about the physical aspects without thinking about what I'm actually doing to the inside of my body and my organs. I'm going to start tomorrow going back to the gym for at least a little walk or eliptical and recommit to doing this the right way. I'm not trying to spend money just to fail and cause problems for myself.

I'm so glad you are doing well (although you're sick) i hope you get better soon and keep us posted on your progress. The ones coming right after you certainly appreciate it! Like me!

Hi B2010,

Don't be too hard on yourself. When I was approved for the surgery, they told me to lose 11 pounds and within 1 month I gained 4. Ugh...

I am a stay at home Mom and (online)college student, so I understand about being home and having access to food.

So I cut out all the breads, rices, pastas, diet sodas and even though I rarely ate fried foods, those were completely gone too. It really helped, because I lost the weight needed in no time.

What worked for me, was anytime I decided I was hungry, I got a bottle of water and downed it. I have heard others who chewed gum when they have the head hunger/food urge, I didn't because I knew once banded, gum is a no no. For me, the water helped with the mental hunger. I kept to only the 3 meals a day and for 1-2 meals a day I had an EAS low carb protein drink. They are really tasty.

Keep your chin up, you can do this. :) I have faith in you!

Hugs,

Kristi

Thanks Kristi,

I can relate. I also take classes online on top of working from home, and being a mom so most of my time has been spent sitting at the computer for the past 4 years. I'm going to do the gum and water thing for sure. I know I don't get enough water so hopefully that will do the trick and keep me going without thinking about food so much.

thanks for your post it's encouraging and that's definitely what I need to get past this.

-Bianca

The easiest of the three diet choices for me was the one with two protein drinks and one lean cuisine per day. It´d helped that I knew if I didn´t lose the weight I wouldn´t be able to get the surgery.

Don´t worry, you still have plenty of time to lose it if you start now. Just keep telling yourself that it´s temporary, because it is. And use Kristy´s water trick or gum--either may make it much easier.

Thanks Jill!

These are just the posts and responses that I needed to read right now. you guys are all right on and knowing you've all been there before certainly helps a lot.

Bianca

you can do this...We can do this...I'm considering weight watchers...some others at work are doing it and they are loosing.

you can do this...We can do this...I'm considering weight watchers...some others at work are doing it and they are loosing.

I don't keep food I can't eat in the house.

I don't buy crap, so I'm not tempted to eat it.

I work from home too, so I feel your struggle!

ame='Elizabeth36' date='25 February 2010 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1267150634' post='82814']

I like this strategy--just don't bring it into the house.

ame='Elizabeth36' date='25 February 2010 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1267150634' post='82814']

yea this is the way I need to go.

FYI, you're not the only one. I just had my surgery on 2/24 and ended up with a gain of 4 lbs. (Actually it was about 8, but I lost down to the 4.) I was lucky because Dr. Ortiz said my insides looked very healthy.

I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

I don't have anything in the house that is not healthy. The interesting thing is that to begin with a kept some snacks for my daughter who is 14 for her lunches etc. After watching me eat healthy she informed me that I was not to buy anything for her as well. It was funny because she is not overweight at all but I think she just wants to be as healthy as she can. She is now climbing mountains with me, biking, and walking.

This banding has actually brought us even closer together that we were before. Who would have thought something as amazing as that would have come out of the banding.

God is good. !!!

Deb

Hey Debbie,

How awesome for you and your daughter to be closer. I have a 14 years old and she and I now share meals when we go out to eat, because I order so specific. She is a tiny little thing and says she wants to be healthy like me. :)

Hugs,

Kristi

Write down what you're eating.

EXACTLY what you're eating. (not what you 'want' to think you're just eating)

It's a great way of reflecting.

I think the misconception is that the band will prevent you from over eating.

Because it definitely won't.

Getting a handle on emotional eating isn't something that will be cured, fixed nor repaired with the band.

There are a million and one ways of cheating the band.

Lindsey, This is a great post. I had to learn the hard way that the band is not going to cure my emotional eating. Once I started writing down what I was eating I was shocked to find out just how many calories I was taking in every day. I counted everything from the 2 tablespoons of olive oil that I scrambled my eggs in to the amount of milk that I was putting in my coffee. All those calories add up fast. Once I started making changes I started to see the weight come off faster. Excersize is a big componant too. If you don't do it your weight loss is going to stall quickly.