tightness....normal

:ph34r: question, had a fill, and I can only eat 2-3 bites before I am PBing? If I eat super slow, then I can get in about a 1/2 c...AM I good or am I to tight...?

Kim

Hi Kim,

What is super slow to you? Are we talking 30-45 minutes to consume 1/2 or longer? I am very curious. I think your fine if it is taking you 30ish minutes to eat 1/2, but that is just my opinion. If I were you I would clock my next meal.

ph34r.gif question, had a fill, and I can only eat 2-3 bites before I am PBing? If I eat super slow, then I can get in about a 1/2 c...AM I good or am I to tight...?

Kim

Hi Kim - Sounds tight to me. BUT we are all different. It really depends on you. If you are able to mentally adjust and wrap your mind around the new restriction reality then cool. If not, be careful. You may start eating slider foods and what not. Personally I believe if you are productive burping daily, you need an unfill. That being said, I beleive in an adjustment time after a fill. What I mean is personally I think it is alright to PB for a weekish after a fill. You know, getting use to it and all.

Now, it sounds to me like you need to focus on your chewing. I cut my food into small pieces. When I say small, if it is beef I would say no larger than the tip of my finger, not past the nail....if that makes sense. So small pieces to begin with. Chew chew chew darlin!

Let us know what you decide to do. Oh and I would also be interested to know how tight you are in the morning....can you eat or drink anything in the morning?

Where I am at now, I can eat B,L & D.

Good to see you post Kim. biggrin.gif

Tha'ts how I am now ... I have to have something warm (i usually have a cup of green tea), wait about 20 minutes, then eat.

I also can't eat nearly as much as I used to.

And this has really prevented me from over eating, which is a big issue for me.

Hey Kim! It sounds like you are in exactly the same position as I am. I got a fill about a week and 2 days ago and am feeling pretty restricted. It takes me about 45 minutes to drink a cup of tea in the morning - - sometimes longer. Its great if you are able to eat solids, though, and not PB - even if it takes you a long time to get it all down. Sometimes I can eat, sometimes I can't. It really all depends. It seems like my band is really finicky.

I have been playing with my fill amount for way too long - - I get fills and then decide that I am too restricted so I go get liquid out. Then I decide that I am not restricted enough so I get another fill. Its back and forth back and forth and I am nearly ready to give up to be honest. I don't like the feeling of being sooooo restricted that it takes me 45 minutes to drink a cup of tea, but I don't like feeling so open that I can eat whatever I want. I just want a happy medium but can't seem to find it! :wacko: Anyone else having this problem? If so I would love to know that I am not alone.

I don't know the time lapse in between your fill and your post, but when I get a fill I have to change my diet for 72 hours. The first 24 hours is clear liquids only, the next 24 is full liquids only and the final 24 is mushy foods. After that I can resume my normal eating. This give my stomach time to adjust to the new band size and it forces me to pay attention as what I can and cannot eat may have changed.

Hey Kim! It sounds like you are in exactly the same position as I am. I got a fill about a week and 2 days ago and am feeling pretty restricted. It takes me about 45 minutes to drink a cup of tea in the morning - - sometimes longer. Its great if you are able to eat solids, though, and not PB - even if it takes you a long time to get it all down. Sometimes I can eat, sometimes I can't. It really all depends. It seems like my band is really finicky.

I have been playing with my fill amount for way too long - - I get fills and then decide that I am too restricted so I go get liquid out. Then I decide that I am not restricted enough so I get another fill. Its back and forth back and forth and I am nearly ready to give up to be honest. I don't like the feeling of being sooooo restricted that it takes me 45 minutes to drink a cup of tea, but I don't like feeling so open that I can eat whatever I want. I just want a happy medium but can't seem to find it! :wacko: Anyone else having this problem? If so I would love to know that I am not alone.

I'm right there with you. I keep on getting too tight, then having a large unfil to let any inflammation calm down, then slowly getting fills until I get too tight again. Soooo, I booked a fill at the OCC under flouro so I can see and feel what good restriction feels like. I've been getting them done blind and my Dr. is great but I keep on asking for more and getting into trouble. I don't think I really know what "good restriction" feels like even after more than a year. My band is really finicky, especially with stress or travel so I think I am going to go for restriction slightly less than what I might want to give me some wiggle room.

Good luck

Louise

Carrie, As you can see from my signature below, I am in the same boat. Right now I only have 1.4 cc's in my 4 cc band and can eat too much. I would love another fill to help me with portion control but I'm afraid that I'll just end up back there for an unfill in a couple weeks `cause I always get too tight. SO frustrating! I'm just thankful I've come this far. Now I need to decide if I would rather live a "normal" life with a few extra pounds on me or be at goal but having problems eating all the time. I change my mind every other day,but today I'm leaning towards a healthy size 10 instead of an unhealthy size 6 or 8.

Sabrina:)

I'm right there with you. I keep on getting too tight, then having a large unfil to let any inflammation calm down, then slowly getting fills until I get too tight again. Soooo, I booked a fill at the OCC under flouro so I can see and feel what good restriction feels like. I've been getting them done blind and my Dr. is great but I keep on asking for more and getting into trouble. I don't think I really know what "good restriction" feels like even after more than a year. My band is really finicky, especially with stress or travel so I think I am going to go for restriction slightly less than what I might want to give me some wiggle room.

Good luck

Louise

Louise, I went to OCC In December for exactly those reasons. Even with a fill under fluoro, I got back in to trouble within two weeks of returning home. It all looked good that day and I left with what I though was perfect restriction....two weeks later, I couldn't even get my coffee down. That said, it's a good idea to go for a one-year check-up to make sure the band looks okay. Just don't count on it for finding your sweet spot. I'm also going the "wiggle room" route right now and it's bloody hard. 6am and I am already starving- when I have restriction I don't get hungry until noon. Again, this is better than the alternative. I just can't cope when my band tightens so much that I can't eat or drink for days.

Louise, I went to OCC In December for exactly those reasons. Even with a fill under fluoro, I got back in to trouble within two weeks of returning home. It all looked good that day and I left with what I though was perfect restriction....two weeks later, I couldn't even get my coffee down. That said, it's a good idea to go for a one-year check-up to make sure the band looks okay. Just don't count on it for finding your sweet spot. I'm also going the "wiggle room" route right now and it's bloody hard. 6am and I am already starving- when I have restriction I don't get hungry until noon. Again, this is better than the alternative. I just can't cope when my band tightens so much that I can't eat or drink for days.

Hi Sabrina. I have scheduled my 6th fill for the first part of April. I think I may have fillitous.....you know the fill illness. Ha! Right now, I have good restriction. My portions are reasonable and life is good. With my last fill, the adjustment was harsh for me. Ya know the new reality of what your new portions are. It took me a hard minute to adjust and even considered a slight de-fill. After a 1 1/2 months I slipped into my new reality. The hardest part for me with the last fill was I got it inbetween the holidays of Thanksgiving & Christmas. So it really limited me on the holiday foods. So I was full statified, but not mentally satisfied....hump! I am such a hard nut. It was a real eye opener for me to see how mentally dissappointed I was.....there are so many foods for the holiday and I had a snitch of each. Was not able to over eat what so ever. A taste of each food was wonderful, but a tease as well....

So back to what I was saying, my thinking is this.....even though my portions are in check. I'd like to go in for a fill bump of maybe .1 or .2 cc's. I know it is a small fill, but a titch is what I want now cuz I am already at a good restriction. I can eat all 3 meals. Ultimately, where I would like to see myself is drinking my breakfast. Right now I have thick oatmeal, yogurt, granola, protein bar or a shake. When I had just had my 5th fill in December, I remember feeling the TOM snugness and that was an eye opener too. I actually thought it was nice to have a couple days where I could feel the restriction with drinking first thing in the morning. I also miss that restriction if or when I got up in the middle of the night ph34r.gif to snack....that I was not able to. (forced behavior modification) Now, that is gone as well. I don't night eat nearly like I use to but on occassion I still find the pantry....know what I mean?

I know everyone has a level of fill they like to operate with. To some, I am sure I sound certifiable when they read this, to others they may be shaking there heads in agreement. We are all different. I do have some concerns about getting to tight, as it is a reality.

After all this fill talk, I mostly want to say thank you for being so open about your fill level and eating ups and downs. It really helps to lay out what restriction can be.

I love my band! Love it! It has been an awesome partnership. I am glad the band can not fire me, cuz let me tell ya, sometimes, I think it does more work that I do....sad....I am learning and working out the bugs so to speak with my eating habits and thoughts. Getting the band was easy, changing the inside is HARD for this chicky!

Oh, I was gonna say I know how it is to go back and forth...it's like I have a good angel ba(n)d angel on my shoulders. Some days I feel like leave the fill alone and live life. Don't gamble and risk being to tight. Other days I lean the opposite. I can eat anything....nuts, broccoli, bread, ect. All in a reasonable portion but I have a small list of NO NO foods. Which re-heated shrimp left overs is one.....no go. Over all I have a great selection of foods I can eat. I am not a gambler, so this decision has been a flip flop for me which SUCKS!!!!

I guess that is why I made my fill apt for a month away....

Angie, you sound exactly where I am right now! My tighness is hit and miss, but I don't feel like i'm where others are. However my fill nurse is really ancy to give me any more she was really freaky about what she gave me last time and kept telling me to call her ASAP if I was too full but I haven't ever felt that way. I'm also right down to the end so I think that even with the exercise I still need just a tad more, but I worry about being too tight I never want to be there.

Angie, you sound exactly where I am right now! My tighness is hit and miss, but I don't feel like i'm where others are. However my fill nurse is really ancy to give me any more she was really freaky about what she gave me last time and kept telling me to call her ASAP if I was too full but I haven't ever felt that way. I'm also right down to the end so I think that even with the exercise I still need just a tad more, but I worry about being too tight I never want to be there.

Shelby - restriction is so touchy. A bit to much you can get into trouble, not enough and you can see what is just beyond your restriction level. That is why I want to have an open line of communication this time if/when I go in for a fill. I don't want to get all I can get, this one will be more like....let's dial it in. A little bit will do ya! Is the lady who gave you your last fill the normal gal you see when you have your fills? Or do they rotate people. At the hospital I go to between the surgeons and the PA's you don't know who you will have. Each person has there own eye on the barium so to speak. Anyway, do you think you will schedule your self for an additional fill...?

I know you were quick to act when you had super duper stress over you brothers accident. So you know all to well how being to tight can feel. Speaking of...how is that brother of yours? Back to 100% or close? I can only imagine how good it must be to have him back!

When I first felt the tightning during the first couple of days with my TOM it was really an eye opener. I had always heard talk of the tighter feeling, but had not experienced it myself. I got use to it quickly and then poof it was gone again. I have not had an over filled experience, and hope I don't. Anyway, it's nice in a not nice way to know I am not in this boat alone!