My Experience With My FIrst Solid Meal in Three Weeks

I considered putting this under Diet and Nutrition but thought maybe this would be a better place for it. Anyway...

So, I just finished my first meal. I finely diced some lowfat sausage without the casing and scrambled it with an egg. I also had 1/2 a banana. It took a long time to eat and I wish I had timed it. So far, nothing seems stuck.

There is something that does stands out, though. I can't say I feel "full" but I'm not hungry either. I didn't even finish my food but I probably could eat more but not out of hunger, just cuz I could. At the same time I could have eaten far less. After I was done I remembered what Dr. O said about testing my band to see how little I can eat. I wish I had. :(

Now about not feeling full. I really thought about this and what I'm not feeling is "engorged". I have a sense of fullness up top but I don't have that full feeling all the way down past my belly button. I sense that I never will and I'm totally fine with that. I'm not hungry at all but that "full" sensation, that really just borders on discomfort, is not there.

One thing I don't think I can do any longer (and we aren't supposed to) is scarf down big bites. Face it, when some of us eat we like shoveling it in and overfilling our mouths then swallowing it down in a big clump. And we keep doing that until we're stuffed. Well, that aint happening. I'm not full but I'm not hungry. It's more like I don't care. And that's what I want.

The other day I was watching Emeril's cooking show and he had his panel behind him that he fed as he completed each dish. There was one very fat (yes, I said "fat")girl on the panel and I watched her and how she handled the situation. When he gave someone else their food first she couldn't keep her eyes off it and you could tell she was fighting asking him for a bite. The others on the panel just continued to watch Emeril cook and could care less. They gave it a glance as it was brought over but then moved on. They knew they'd get their plate. I was watching her so intently because I know I've done that myself. Looking at someone elses plate and thinking, "Oh, their chicken skin looks crispier than mine". I want to be like those other people that didn't care and that's how I'm feeling right now. I ate because I had to so I don't starve. I didn't eat because I had to eat something yummy and get bloated until I couldn't cram in another bite.

Now I just wish I had eaten less. sad.gif I'll have a smaller lunch. smile.gif

I don't think we are supposed to feel "full". On the webinar, Dr. Ortiz said that we should feel satisfied, not full. When you are full, it means you ate too much. When you are satisfied, it means you ate the amount your body needed.

I think we will all get used to eating slower and taking smaller bites, and I think that is great. Iam already enjoying smaller drinks instead of guzzling a bunch of water at once. I noticed that I get smaller sizes of drinks, too and don't finish them all in one day. I like that!! It took me like 3 days to finish a vitamin water, and that was cool!

BrownEyedGirl,

Woo Hoo...

So glad to hear the first meal was good. I still have yet to try Tomato Pie, Maybe I need to come out to your place and try it one day. :P

Especially since everyone raves about it. Ya'All know who ya are. :D

Hugs,

Kristi

I considered putting this under Diet and Nutrition but thought maybe this would be a better place for it. Anyway...

So, I just finished my first meal. I finely diced some lowfat sausage without the casing and scrambled it with an egg. I also had 1/2 a banana. It took a long time to eat and I wish I had timed it. So far, nothing seems stuck.

There is something that does stands out, though. I can't say I feel "full" but I'm not hungry either. I didn't even finish my food but I probably could eat more but not out of hunger, just cuz I could. At the same time I could have eaten far less. After I was done I remembered what Dr. O said about testing my band to see how little I can eat. I wish I had. :(

Now about not feeling full. I really thought about this and what I'm not feeling is "engorged". I have a sense of fullness up top but I don't have that full feeling all the way down past my belly button. I sense that I never will and I'm totally fine with that. I'm not hungry at all but that "full" sensation, that really just borders on discomfort, is not there.

One thing I don't think I can do any longer (and we aren't supposed to) is scarf down big bites. Face it, when some of us eat we like shoveling it in and overfilling our mouths then swallowing it down in a big clump. And we keep doing that until we're stuffed. Well, that aint happening. I'm not full but I'm not hungry. It's more like I don't care. And that's what I want.

The other day I was watching Emeril's cooking show and he had his panel behind him that he fed as he completed each dish. There was one very fat (yes, I said "fat")girl on the panel and I watched her and how she handled the situation. When he gave someone else their food first she couldn't keep her eyes off it and you could tell she was fighting asking him for a bite. The others on the panel just continued to watch Emeril cook and could care less. They gave it a glance as it was brought over but then moved on. They knew they'd get their plate. I was watching her so intently because I know I've done that myself. Looking at someone elses plate and thinking, "Oh, their chicken skin looks crispier than mine". I want to be like those other people that didn't care and that's how I'm feeling right now. I ate because I had to so I don't starve. I didn't eat because I had to eat something yummy and get bloated until I couldn't cram in another bite.

I sooooo appreciate your descriptiveness and your ability to write and express yourself. I know that sounds lame but it's like you are able to answer the questions I haven't even thought to even ask yet. I did think about that so full feeling that you describe. It's like I'm sure we all hate that feeling but it's the feeling we all have tried to get to know to stop.

I remember a time before when I had lost about 50lbs and was always amazed at just how little amount of food one really needs to be healthy. It's nothing compared to the amount of food i've been eating the past few years.

((((((((((((((((Brown Eyed Girl)))))))))))))))))

Congrats to you for waiting 3 weeks to taste solid food! I'm so proud of you for reflecting back and hearing Dr. Ortiz's words. He did encourage us to test the band to see how little we could eat. I'm glad you reminded me of that. I had my surgery 9 months ago and I had forgotten he had said that (until just now when you reminded me.) It's never too late, so I'll start today. xo

Hugs to you. I can tell you are going to do fabulous with your band and you will have much success. If I remember correctly, I didn't experience a pb until after my first fill.

I can't wait to hear how things go for you!

I have typed several different notes, then delete, write again, delete... I guess I just want to say..HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU STICK TO THE 21 DAY LIQUID DIET? I am due for my surgery on the 18th of this month.. I have been able to sick to the diet Dr. Miranda suggested, but here comes the surgery, and then TWENTYONE DAYS of LIQUID???? That is like having a three week colonoscopy!! I really don't know how you did it and any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. I am having even more doubts about this surgery...as I said in another post...I think Murphy was an optimist. Congrats to you for being so strong and able to get through this. And...good luck on continued success.

Apprehensive in KC

I have typed several different notes, then delete, write again, delete... I guess I just want to say..HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU STICK TO THE 21 DAY LIQUID DIET? I am due for my surgery on the 18th of this month.. I have been able to sick to the diet Dr. Miranda suggested, but here comes the surgery, and then TWENTYONE DAYS of LIQUID???? That is like having a three week colonoscopy!! I really don't know how you did it and any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. I am having even more doubts about this surgery...as I said in another post...I think Murphy was an optimist. Congrats to you for being so strong and able to get through this. And...good luck on continued success.

Apprehensive in KC

Well, I am not Brown Eyed Girl, but I recently finished my 21-day diet also (this is day 22), and the biggest thing to remember is that if you don't stick on this liquid diet, it could cause problems for you in the future because your band can't heal into place correctly and it could slip. That is what helped keep me on the liquids, knowing that I just CAN'T cheat. It was not an option. Like Dr. Ortiz said, yes it is hard, but this is the last diet of your life! Just figure you will be miserable at times, and you just have to deal with it. That is all you can do is drink good liquids and once you get to creamy soups a lot more options open up! Smoothies, etc. I even had a milkshake one day when I was feeling sad about only liquids. Milkshakes are not recommended but are better than cheating and eating real food... I only did it once. Anyway, you CAN do it, just believe in yourself!

Well, I am not Brown Eyed Girl, but I recently finished my 21-day diet also (this is day 22), and the biggest thing to remember is that if you don't stick on this liquid diet, it could cause problems for you in the future because your band can't heal into place correctly and it could slip. That is what helped keep me on the liquids, knowing that I just CAN'T cheat. It was not an option. Like Dr. Ortiz said, yes it is hard, but this is the last diet of your life! Just figure you will be miserable at times, and you just have to deal with it. That is all you can do is drink good liquids and once you get to creamy soups a lot more options open up! Smoothies, etc. I even had a milkshake one day when I was feeling sad about only liquids. Milkshakes are not recommended but are better than cheating and eating real food... I only did it once. Anyway, you CAN do it, just believe in yourself!

Thank you for your note. I am glad you saw it...I was beginning to think no one reads my questions. I know deep down, if I pull everything I have together, I can do it. I guess I just wanted it to be easier. I am like you...knowing that cheating is not an option and could cause more problems, I won't cheat. I really do appreciate your reply. Good Luck to you during the rest of your journey and thank you big time for being upfront and honest.

I WILL DO IT

Apprehensive

Thank you for your note. I am glad you saw it...I was beginning to think no one reads my questions.

I'm sorry, I thought I answered this already but it must have been from other posts. It's been a common question and my experience wasn't bad at all. My first words to my husband when I woke up from surgery were "I feel full" and I felt that way the entire three weeks. There was one evening I craved chicken. The day I could eat solids I wasn't hungry but I ate. So, for me, the three weeks went well. Oh, the one night I was hungry my husband came home with pizza and I chewed a piece of sausage and spit it out. I don't recommend doing that because one might not spit it out.

Gosh, I know I've written this out a few times. Maybe my blog. Anyway, I hope that puts your mind at ease.

I'm sorry, I thought I answered this already but it must have been from other posts. It's been a common question and my experience wasn't bad at all. My first words to my husband when I woke up from surgery were "I feel full" and I felt that way the entire three weeks. There was one evening I craved chicken. The day I could eat solids I wasn't hungry but I ate. So, for me, the three weeks went well. Oh, the one night I was hungry my husband came home with pizza and I chewed a piece of sausage and spit it out. I don't recommend doing that because one might not spit it out.

Gosh, I know I've written this out a few times. Maybe my blog. Anyway, I hope that puts your mind at ease.

Yes, you probably have answered this questions before, but thanks for doing it again for me. There have been other kind people on this site that have given me piece of mind too. I figured that since you are all over the board with suggestions, comments, and just being there for people (which I find admirable) you were the one to ask. So, I thank you very much and best of luck with your continued success. And a BIG thank you for all the others with suggestions for this journey.

This is a great place for answers from people who have been there.

Yes, you probably have answered this questions before, but thanks for doing it again for me.

Aha!! I found it! It was in my blog. I know those aren't read as much as the forums. I tend to lose track of where I answer what. And it was in response to someone else asking that. Hence, my confusion. Remember, I'm eating way less *sucks in cheeks* and I have a bad memory anyway. ;)

Here is my looong blog about no foodz at the 17 day mark.

http://www.occforum.com/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=168&showentry=500comment341

Apprehensive in KC

If by KC you mean Kansas City, welcome! I am also a KC girl. I went to a local doctor so my after surgery diet was different, but the 21 days of liquid are totally doable. Even though you won't really have anything to chew, there are a lot of good liquid foods out there. When you consider things like yogurt and creamy soups it really isn't that bad.

No Issues for me yet, some bad gas on occasion. I got a fill on Wed this week...1.5 CC's just to make sure I don't loose the good pattern I have going... Down 17 pounds since day of surgery, which was exacally one month today! I did not do liquids for a full 3 weeks...more like 2 weeks. And only one small meal at supper time, liquid the rest. Now that i can eat solids, I find, eating small snacks of protien works better for me anyway. I have a protien pudding or shake in the morning-100 cals keeps me full until mid morning...then more protien...nothing more than 100 cals at a time. 3 meals and 2 snacks. And I find I feel very satisfied and not very hungry at all. And i've tested meat, bread, potatoes, salad..very little amounts-no issue. But you have to eat slow, chew well and I find it helps to move around after eating, not sit...that's what is working for me!

No Issues for me yet, some bad gas on occasion. I got a fill on Wed this week...1.5 CC's just to make sure I don't loose the good pattern I have going... Down 17 pounds since day of surgery, which was exacally one month today! I did not do liquids for a full 3 weeks...more like 2 weeks. And only one small meal at supper time, liquid the rest. Now that i can eat solids, I find, eating small snacks of protien works better for me anyway. I have a protien pudding or shake in the morning-100 cals keeps me full until mid morning...then more protien...nothing more than 100 cals at a time. 3 meals and 2 snacks. And I find I feel very satisfied and not very hungry at all. And i've tested meat, bread, potatoes, salad..very little amounts-no issue. But you have to eat slow, chew well and I find it helps to move around after eating, not sit...that's what is working for me!

Great! You answered the questions I had for you. I'm feeling the same way regarding fullness but I think I'm trying to eat more than I should. I really need to just eat less. I think I was scared I'd starve to death or something. As if. happy.gif

Ok.. now I gotta go catch up with you!

You took the words right out of my mouth. That is exactly the way I feel and just didn't know quite how to put it. When I finally had the opportunity to get banded, I was sooooo ready,(especially after 4 years of waiting) that my head was in the right place....Thank you, Lord!!! For me, that was the trick. After my surgery, I too felt full and the 21 days of liquids were not a problem for me at all. I can honestly say even up to this point, I have had very few days where I have been hungry. Our definition of "full" is now what we used to call "satisfaction" and not of "engorged". That's what I though "full" was too. The band has been the best thing I could have ever done for myself. I have learned a lot about myself and the way I think of food. It is now for nutrition and health, not something to do because I'm bored, not a drug to feel better or a friend who is always there. I love having my band and the new outlook it has given me.

Thank you for posting!!

Apprehensive in KC

I just realized that yesterday was your "band date"...Congrats! I hope you are doing well. Just wanted to throw in my two cents worth. Make up your mind that you are going to do this to the very best of your ability and stick to the plan they give you. You can do it! Remember it's a time of healing, strength and success for the future. When you make it through 21 days of liquids....girl you can do anything!! Hold your head up high and pat yourself on the back and "Go FOR It"! Can't wait to see how well you do! Welcome to "BandLand"!

I just realized that yesterday was your "band date"...Congrats! I hope you are doing well. Just wanted to throw in my two cents worth. Make up your mind that you are going to do this to the very best of your ability and stick to the plan they give you. You can do it! Remember it's a time of healing, strength and success for the future. When you make it through 21 days of liquids....girl you can do anything!! Hold your head up high and pat yourself on the back and "Go FOR It"! Can't wait to see how well you do! Welcome to "BandLand"!

Thank you! Actually today is my one month bandiversary!

It's amazing how different my way of thinking is since the band. Before the band when I would plan a night out with my husband it was totally about the food. Even the movie was about the popcorn which of course I made sure they layered with butter. Fill halfway with popcorn, squirt on fake butter, fill the rest with popcorn and top with more fake butter. Now, I'm planning something just so we can spend time together. When he comes home we are going for a nice 2 mile walk were we live and then getting some dinner and a movie. I don't even care where just as long as I can get a shrimp cocktail. HE gets to pick! Before I had it in my head what I HAD to eat that night and I was gonna wrestle my way into that restaurant if I had to. And for the movie, I already made some low cal/fat popcorn and parceled it into 45 calorie bags so I'll take that. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE FREAKING POPCORN ANYMORE!! I'm only bringing it so I'm prepared. I don't want to find that the smell drives me nuts and I eat their stuff. I'm serious, if I went to a movie before and they ran out of popcorn, not only would the movie be ruined, but my entire night!!! I'm finally understanding what it means when they say, "Eat to live, not live to eat". Yay!

Another benefit is now I can watch a cooking show without it sending me to the refrigerator. I watch a show and it gives me ideas and I try to come up with a lower cal version of it.

Thank you! Actually today is my one month bandiversary!

It's amazing how different my way of thinking is since the band. Before the band when I would plan a night out with my husband it was totally about the food. Even the movie was about the popcorn which of course I made sure they layered with butter. Fill halfway with popcorn, squirt on fake butter, fill the rest with popcorn and top with more fake butter. Now, I'm planning something just so we can spend time together. When he comes home we are going for a nice 2 mile walk were we live and then getting some dinner and a movie. I don't even care where just as long as I can get a shrimp cocktail. HE gets to pick! Before I had it in my head what I HAD to eat that night and I was gonna wrestle my way into that restaurant if I had to. And for the movie, I already made some low cal/fat popcorn and parceled it into 45 calorie bags so I'll take that. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE FREAKING POPCORN ANYMORE!! I'm only bringing it so I'm prepared. I don't want to find that the smell drives me nuts and I eat their stuff. I'm serious, if I went to a movie before and they ran out of popcorn, not only would the movie be ruined, but my entire night!!! I'm finally understanding what it means when they say, "Eat to live, not live to eat". Yay!

Another benefit is now I can watch a cooking show without it sending me to the refrigerator. I watch a show and it gives me ideas and I try to come up with a lower cal version of it.

Thank you for making me feel so blessed! As a Cinema-Television major who sat through many a screening and cinema class I got used to the "no food, no drinks" allowed policy. I stopped ordering popcorn years ago becuase I find it distracts my attention from the movie I am watching and I paid too much to be distracted. Once again I prove my point that I AM A CHEAP DATE! You should try that though, try getting in the habit of watching movies without eating anything and pretty soon it will become old hat.

BrownEyedGirl: I totally just thought of something....we went to the movies on Wednesday nigth and I didn't have anything. Didn't even think of it...."Holy Moly Batman" how stinkin cool is that. Thanks for the reminder.