Not losing - does this mean I have to work out???

I have to admit - I thought if I paid enough money, I could lose weight and not have to work out. I'm learning this is NOT the case. I was 185 when I was banded 4 months ago. I lost 10 pounds that first month, and nothing since then, even though I have 8.5cc in a 11cc band. I'm slowly starting to admit to myself that it may be time to hit the gym. I see many success stories - am I correct in assuming this success is only enjoyed by those who work hard for it??? Is it time for me to admit to myself I paid 6K and STILL have to hit the gym?? I was hoping I could pay for a free pass!!!

Thanks!!!

Kat

I have to admit - I thought if I paid enough money, I could lose weight and not have to work out. I'm learning this is NOT the case. I was 185 when I was banded 4 months ago. I lost 10 pounds that first month, and nothing since then, even though I have 8.5cc in a 11cc band. I'm slowly starting to admit to myself that it may be time to hit the gym. I see many success stories - am I correct in assuming this success is only enjoyed by those who work hard for it??? Is it time for me to admit to myself I paid 6K and STILL have to hit the gym?? I was hoping I could pay for a free pass!!!

Thanks!!!

Kat

I feel the same way. I've never been a gym rat. I didn't really like working out- um maybe because I was 230 lbs! BUT I've noticed a significant different in my weight loss when I work out. I was eating only 1200 calories for a while and not working out. I lost maybe a pound that week. The next week I upped my calories to 1400 and would burn (on top of that) an additional 250 calories doing a simple circuit training video- which I've now become addicted to. A couple things to consider with working out- you have more energy and you can EAT MORE! I was eating more and working out and lost 3.6 pounds that week.

If you need some suggestions on some workouts ask us. We all doing very different things but the bottom line is- YOU HAVE TO MOVE! Working out is key to being successful. And seriously, $6,000+ is a lot to pay and not get everything out of it that you possibly can. Good luck! :)

Hi Kat,

I was banded 4 months ago as well and here is what I noticed with me. During the 4 months that I did not have restriction I had to keep my calorie in-take down to around 1200 and excercise for 30 minutes a day on my elliptical at home and doing this I was loosing about a pound per week. As of 4 days ago I have reached ideal restriction and have lost about 2 pounds in the 4 days without excercise but do to being a bit on the tight side my calorie in-take has now dropped to about 800 calories per day and that is why I am not excercising. I do not want to put myself in a situation where I get light head, dizzy and possibly faint. If I get back upto 1200 calories I will start excercising again. Anything below 1100 calories per day I would say maybe avoid cardio and do resistance or weight training instead. Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Well, reading your posts made me smile....I used to love exercise when I was younger and at a normal weight...not there now! But, my hope is that as I loose weight I will re-gain my joy of moving - like swimming, walking, being alive....for now I notice with 30-45 minutes 3 times a week (I force it) I do loose more weight then without it. I get banded in 4 days and I plan on walking ASAP, and just see how it goes..but yep, exercise it is!

I posted this earlier and don't see it. If I double posted.. sorry.

I'm going to create a topic just for this too but I thought I'd address it here as well. AngieB. mentioned that On Demand (a thingie with different cable and satellite companies) is having a free thing with the exercise channel. I decided to check it out and found a great workout for those getting started. It's a walking (in your home) program and you can start with 1 mile. I'd recommend that for your first time then you can see if you can do the two mile. It takes about 20 minutes for the warmup w, walk and cool down. 33 minutes for 2 miles.

It's very easy but it gets your heart rate up. She even says "we aren't dancing, we're walking". I can never keep up with the aerobics because I'm always facing the wrong way or confused by the steps. Not this. I think it's great and went out and bought the DVDs at WalMart. The instructor's name is Leslie Sansone (I think).

The 2 mile walk is what the American Heart Association is recommending for health but start with the 1 mile first so you don't get discouraged. I walk 5-10 miles no problem but at my pace. This two mile walk had me sweating but I've been doing it every day. I've had back and threee leg surgeries and where I can't do aerobics I was easily able to do this.

I have Verizon and this is how I found it:

On Demand

Browse All

Free

MyLife

Exercise TV

Walk for Weightloss

Start walking 1 mile or 2 mile

Any more than that you'll have to ask your cable provider or Verizon. That's all I know about where to find it.

I posted this earlier and don't see it. If I double posted.. sorry.

I'm going to create a topic just for this too but I thought I'd address it here as well. AngieB. mentioned that On Demand (a thingie with different cable and satellite companies) is having a free thing with the exercise channel. I decided to check it out and found a great workout for those getting started. It's a walking (in your home) program and you can start with 1 mile. I'd recommend that for your first time then you can see if you can do the two mile. It takes about 20 minutes for the warmup w, walk and cool down. 33 minutes for 2 miles.

It's very easy but it gets your heart rate up. She even says "we aren't dancing, we're walking". I can never keep up with the aerobics because I'm always facing the wrong way or confused by the steps. Not this. I think it's great and went out and bought the DVDs at WalMart. The instructor's name is Leslie Sansone (I think).

The 2 mile walk is what the American Heart Association is recommending for health but start with the 1 mile first so you don't get discouraged. I walk 5-10 miles no problem but at my pace. This two mile walk had me sweating but I've been doing it every day. I've had back and threee leg surgeries and where I can't do aerobics I was easily able to do this.

I have Verizon and this is how I found it:

On Demand

Browse All

Free

MyLife

Exercise TV

Walk for Weightloss

Start walking 1 mile or 2 mile

Any more than that you'll have to ask your cable provider or Verizon. That's all I know about where to find it.

OMG! that's totally cool. thank you so much :)

OMG! that's totally cool. thank you so much smile.gif

You're welcome. And if it's not on your cable I recommend going to walmart and getting the DVDs. They were $10 each. They are called Leslie Sansone Walk at Home and I bought the 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk which lets you choose if you want to do 1,2,3,4, or 5 miles. I also bought the 5 Day Slim Down which is a 1 mile walk but each day you work on something different like arms, legs, tummy, etc. I just bought these yesterday and haven't tried them yet. I did the TV one yesterday.

What I like about these (the TV version at least) is that they have a count down timer along with the mile markers. When I can see how much time I have left to go it encourages me to go further. The mile markers work the same. I see that I've done 1 mile and want to do 2. :)

Right now my back is really bad and walking is the best thing for it. I've been able to walk at a slower pace and not lifting my legs as high. If it wasn't for this I'd just be on my back on ice all day.

I think it is sooo important for anyone reading this that is considering the band to know that the band is just a tool, it is not a fix all. Diet and exercise are still a requirement of the band. For me, the band alone got some pounds off for me to where I was at a weight where I could work out again. A bit will come off w/o working out, but after that the rest will not unless you do.

I watched a TV show on the band and the doctor put it perfectly - the band will do about 40% of the work and the rest is up to us and the choices we make.

For those of us that do not like to work out, find something that you do like. For me it was Zumba and walking. For others it might be hiking, biking, or sports. Find what you like and get motivated to do it. They say it takes two weeks to form a habit, so give it time and keep it up.

For me personally I am running. I don't like running, but I love the way I feel when I am done - that nice jello leg feeling and just the feeling of accomplishment I get from it. I also keep an old pic of me around to remind myself of where I never want to be again!

Hi Kat,

I was banded 4 months ago as well and here is what I noticed with me. During the 4 months that I did not have restriction I had to keep my calorie in-take down to around 1200 and excercise for 30 minutes a day on my elliptical at home and doing this I was loosing about a pound per week. As of 4 days ago I have reached ideal restriction and have lost about 2 pounds in the 4 days without excercise but do to being a bit on the tight side my calorie in-take has now dropped to about 800 calories per day and that is why I am not excercising. I do not want to put myself in a situation where I get light head, dizzy and possibly faint. If I get back upto 1200 calories I will start excercising again. Anything below 1100 calories per day I would say maybe avoid cardio and do resistance or weight training instead. Hope this helps.

So glad to hear that you finally have some restriction! CONGRATS!!!!laugh.gif

UGH.

I'm still not sure if this post is a joke or not.

The benefits of daily exercise go far beyond just losing weight ............

Lindsay, Your tough love makes me laugh! It is simply the best. We all need a good kick in the tail from time to time. So keep it up! :) I may not like it, but I still need it!!!

i just wasn't sure if this post was a joke or not!

i'm often not surprised when i read certain threads, but this one ... really threw me for a loop! :huh:

and the occ they tell you before you get the band, if you want to be successful, diet & exercise.

not, "we'll give you this band, and you can eat less of whatever you want, and sit on your ass and you'll lose all the weight you want!"

**and of course, i only mean the best intentions with my comments - i'm not here to (intentionally) offend anyone :wub:

So glad to hear that you finally have some restriction! CONGRATS!!!!laugh.gif

Thanks for the love :wub: Was able to graduate to a little solids tonight. Still under 1100 calorie in-take, however, I just had to get on that elliptical tonight for 32 minutes! I could not resist any longer. You know how those ellipticals are...like a hampster on a wheel, once your legs get going you cant stop! :lol:

Loving the restiction but like Angie B says, still trying to wrap my head around the amount of food I am able to eat and being mentally okay with it and walk away.

i just wasn't sure if this post was a joke or not!

i'm often not surprised when i read certain threads, but this one ... really threw me for a loop! :huh:

and the occ they tell you before you get the band, if you want to be successful, diet & exercise.

not, "we'll give you this band, and you can eat less of whatever you want, and sit on your ass and you'll lose all the weight you want!"

**and of course, i only mean the best intentions with my comments - i'm not here to (intentionally) offend anyone :wub:

i learned to read your post in that mind set... "she means well... she sounds mean and rude but...i'm sure she means well" ;)

Hi all,

I have been doing the Leslie Sansome 2 mile walk for two years which is how I lost the 45 pounds without the band 2 years ago I weighed 278 at my highest)..I have also added my Wii Yoga in 09, which has been firming some of that flabby skin from the lose...I want to loose another 20 or so in order to swim again--I was a high school and college swimmer...back in the day...The Leslie tapes are great..I have a couple on audio so I can do them at work when the weather doesn't allow for outdoor walking -- highly recommend them..in fact planning on using those once I am feeling like walking again..day of or after surgery this Friday...This is a great thread and I love the "tough love" kind of like a "touch coach" I used to have..

Its funny, I always like Lindsays responses - she's smart - (I knew should would make it and work the band great - I can't say the same for others). She's honest - and she isn't afraid to give her opinion - and she's disagreed with me before and that's cool - its awesome that we can get such great information - and we get to pick and choose what we want to get out of it. I personally don't mind the fact that she is blunt. (My doctor was blunt with me today, when I tried to get him to let me go back to work - and its funny - what came to my mind was "he means well" and he's dam smarter than I am about this subject so I better listen) I know she really cares for people and wants them to succeed.

I have never yet seen her get personal and attack someone in that manner - however I have seen others do it - and that is plain silly in my book.

She's got my respect for that.

(And I always like to see her going back and forth with my other favorite "L" girl, they just make me laugh, two extremely smart, STRONG, funny, caring ladies - who are so much alike that it makes me smile - its always fun to watch them banter). And they do it well, though they seem to get on each others nerves - but are cool with how they do it.

Lisa

Kat,

to answer you in my opinion, YES, working out is very very crucial. I don't think I would be where I am at without all the hard gym workouts I have done and am still doing. (In fact I am leaving for an appointment with my trainer right after I post.)

Shelby, I have read that before that the band will do about 40% of the work, but in all the times I have seen my doc, he said that the band might, and that is a big MIGHT, have done 25% of the work, but the rest was all me. From the moment I was given the OK to get back in the gym, well, I did.

Lindsay, LOL... you made me laugh too, especially when I so understand where you are coming from. You are really a wealth of information and I really hope one day I have great ripped arms like yours. :)

I am striving for it.

Hugs,

Kristi

I have never yet seen her get personal and attack someone in that manner - however I have seen others do it - and that is plain silly in my book.

(And I always like to see her going back and forth with my other favorite "L" girl, they just make me laugh, two extremely smart, STRONG, funny, caring ladies - who are so much alike that it makes me smile - its always fun to watch them banter). And they do it well, though they seem to get on each others nerves - but are cool with how they do it.

Lisa

HAHAHA!

Yes, LisaLaw and myself can really get into it, but it never explodes to get out of hand in my opinion :) We both just love having the last word ;) AND, we're both very opinionated.

i never try and attack anyone.

It's more of 'here's the research i found. read it. and hopefully you'll learn something'.

I just think people are too quick to assume, or guess. When, in reality, the facts are out there, you just have to do some digging to find it!