One week banded and I have a question

Hi All,

I was banded last Monday. I still find myself getting very hungry, especially in the middle of the night. When I do eat I feel full. My question is I really don't feel much restriction. Do you really start feeling the restriction once you have your first fill? I know the first weeks is for the band to really heal.

Thanks,

Heidi

Hi All,

I was banded last Monday. I still find myself getting very hungry, especially in the middle of the night. When I do eat I feel full. My question is I really don't feel much restriction. Do you really start feeling the restriction once you have your first fill? I know the first weeks is for the band to really heal.

Thanks,

Heidi

No restriction after first fill. Some restriction after second fill. However, it depends on where you plan on getting your fills and what their policy is about how much you are allowed to get and how often.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Heidi

Hi,

Congrats on being banded. You are still on the liquid diet.. right?

I pushed it to feel full. If I felt hungry after yogurt I would drink more water. I felt a little restriction after my first fill and more on my second. Each person feels restriction. A few that have been banded have not received a fill and have lost weight. NOT pushing their band, eating the correct foods and amounts are the key. You will be told once you go to OCC that the band is a tool to help you not a magic band. :lol: Heidi please keep us posted and Congrats again !

I live in San Diego, so I will be going to the OCC. How long do you have to wait in between a first a second fill?

Hi Heidi,

Technically speaking you have to wait 6 weeks before your first fill and 4 weeks inbetween fills. Are they strict on that policy? In my opinion, no, thank God. I got my first fill at 4 weeks post op and every other fill (3 after that) at exactly 4 week intervals. Honstly, If I lived in SD like you I would have been back at the OCC every 2 weeks for another fill instead of waiting 4. They would like you to wait 4 weeks b/c it could take that long for a fill to settle in.

Welcome to the gang! Everyone is different. I have had 1 fill at OCC and Dr. So told me that I wouldn't need another fill until I started eating more than I could before. The weight is still coming off, a little slower now after 8 weeks. I am not in a hurry for another fill, would like to get as few as possible. Dr. So also told me that a plateau could last up to, 2 months and to be patient. Dr. Miranda, said to call if I had any questions and need suggestions to get it moving again.

Sorry, I'm not sure this helps, but I hope so.

Welcome!

I had my surgery the end of March and felt hungry most of the time, but nothing like before the band. I noticed that soup helped lessen that hunger feeling and I learned to hear a growling stomach and feel the hunger without panicking, something totally new for me and actually a great experience in learning that I won't die or faint from hunger..my first fill will be the first week of May..I am trying to learn to eat with the band, plan my meals, really eat what I want, and how to still go out and have a good time without overdoing food. Each time has been a small victory and a new feeling of freedom. As many will tell you some foods are no longer an option just because of the way they make you feel after eating them, and slowing down to chew takes time, alcohol should be way less than before because it does work faster...now one drink is all I need. I have also added more exercise which will be my next big hurdle. My hope is that as I loose weight I get more energy to do things that involve activity and learning to like it and try new things.

Yes, you will feel restriction. Just try to follow the instructions for now, and for sure don't eat solid food until it's time. Step by step...