Is This Normal?

I was banded on March 23, 2010 and I am 4 weeks post-op. I don't feel any restriction at all. At first I was chewing and chewing my food and worried that I would swallow something too big, but I tried chewing and swallowing like I used to and nothing happened. I am still eating the way I am supposed to and not drinking with my food. I am barely eating. Sometimes I am hungry but I have been sticking to 3 low calorie very very small meals. I didn't loose any weight in the last week and last week I started exercising too, daily. 30 minutes on the elliptical a day. I hope this will change when I get my first fill in 3 weeks. Please let me know if anyone else experienced this and if it is common.

I was banded on March 23, 2010 and I am 4 weeks post-op. I don't feel any restriction at all. At first I was chewing and chewing my food and worried that I would swallow something too big, but I tried chewing and swallowing like I used to and nothing happened. I am still eating the way I am supposed to and not drinking with my food. I am barely eating. Sometimes I am hungry but I have been sticking to 3 low calorie very very small meals. I didn't loose any weight in the last week and last week I started exercising too, daily. 30 minutes on the elliptical a day. I hope this will change when I get my first fill in 3 weeks. Please let me know if anyone else experienced this and if it is common.

Greetings,

I have read several post-op posts and have seen that his is common for many people. I have lost a bit more, but of course, I have had more to lose than you have. I remember one gal on this site lost a large amount of weight without having a fill at all. I guess it is how you react to the band. For me this is the point (I had my surgery 5 days before you had yours)when it is finding the foods that I can and can not eat. I watch the calories but follow the rules for chewing etc. I can not eat as much as prior to the surgery...and I don't feel really hungry but like you, follow the low calorie consumption. I am eager hear what others say as well. Like ValleyGirl says "hang in there" because I am sure we will start to get in the same boat with the other bandsters one day. Keep up the good work with your diet and please put up posts as to your success and things that help you. We are very close together in the time frame of sugery so maybe we can both get some good points and ideas from others.

Best of Luck!

Hey Briangie,

Sabrina is right in my opinion, you are in bandster-hell. And it could take several fills before you get to your sweet spot, otherwise known as really good restriction. I found that after every fill I would have restriction for the first 1-2 weeks and than my band would open right up. After my 5th, I still feel a decent amount of restriction 2 months out. Although, some days are better than others, I think I finally am my sweet-spot.

Good luck.

Kristi

I was banded in November of last year. I have had 3 large fills. Only since this last fill do I feel any restriction. So it is frustrating as hell, but when you get that restriction, it makes it all worth it. I wasn’t real happy because out of my banded group, I was the only one who was not feeling anything and not losing. After all, if I could have done it on my own I would have and not needed the band. Last week I had my 3rd fill and with it restriction. The hardest part is to not give up, and keep faith that you don’t fall under the whatever it is percentage that the band doesn’t work for.

I made the mistake of going through bandster hell for 1 full year (not one fill). Don't do what I did. I have had 3 fills and I have finally hit my sweet spot! Remember this is a life change. Keep working hard and you will shed the weight. Sometimes slowly buy surely! : )