Did you feel any restriction before you got a fill?

Hi there,

I was banded by Dr Ortiz on April 12th. I just started on solid foods a couple of days ago. I have my first fill appointment at the OCC on May 25th. My question is should I be feeling

any restriction at this point? I don't think I have any at all. Also, have many fills does it take to get to some restriction? Do people usually still lose weight without restriction

or does it take a couple of fills for the weight loss to really kick in?

Thanks!

Heidi

You know, everyone is different. Some people don't need any fills to feel restriction but I believe the majority of people needs at least 1 fill to feel any type of restriction. I am on fill 2 and felt some restriction at first, but it is gone now and I am getting another fill next week. My mom is on fill 4 or 5 I think and still isn't sure if she is feeling restriction, although she is eating less so maybe she is feeling it now.

Every body is different and it's hard to tell how yours will be until you start getting some fills. But, it is completely normal to feel no restriction when you have no fills, so don't worry about that.

Hi there,

I was banded by Dr Ortiz on April 12th. I just started on solid foods a couple of days ago. I have my first fill appointment at the OCC on May 25th. My question is should I be feeling

any restriction at this point? I don't think I have any at all. Also, have many fills does it take to get to some restriction? Do people usually still lose weight without restriction

or does it take a couple of fills for the weight loss to really kick in?

Thanks!

Heidi

It's not at all abnormal to have no restriction before having a fill. Some people do, most people don't. And there isn't a set number of fills before you get the right restriction--it's different with everyone. If you spend some time reading the posts on this board, you'll see that there are people who haven't every had to have a fill (Revy!) and people who have had several before getting to their "sweet spot".

You can lose weight without restriction if you limit your calories, eat the right foods, exercise, and burn more than you consume. But restriction makes it easier. The idea is that if you have good restriction, you will feel satisfied with less food, as long as you're eating the right foods, not foods like ice cream, chips, etc. Those foods go straight through and don't fill you up like protein and veggies.

You're lucky to be able to go to the OCC for your fills--ask Dr. So and he'll also be able to give you some good information about restriction, etc.

I didn't feel any restriction until my second fill..Frpm what I gather your not suppose to feel restriction because the band is healing in place...that being said every body is different...There is a guy on here that has not had a fill...I would only speculate as you loose weight you would need addition fills as you become skinnier, thus maybe not!

Only do what feels good...and if you not loosing and following the rules then it will be time for a fill.

Kim

I have been extremely fortunate. I was banded Sept 29th,2009 and have not had one fill. I have felt restriction all along and lost 125 pounds so far. I do follow the rules to a tee though. Eat only healthy food, 3 meals a day and excersise 7 days a week. 17 more pounds and I reach the goal Dr Miranda set for me and I am booked for an extended tummy tuck and thigh lift in July.

It has been a wonderful 7 months and this has been the best decision I have made in my whole life :)

Debbie

I have been extremely fortunate. I was banded Sept 29th,2009 and have not had one fill. I have felt restriction all along and lost 125 pounds so far. I do follow the rules to a tee though. Eat only healthy food, 3 meals a day and excersise 7 days a week. 17 more pounds and I reach the goal Dr Miranda set for me and I am booked for an extended tummy tuck and thigh lift in July.

It has been a wonderful 7 months and this has been the best decision I have made in my whole life :)

Debbie

You are my hero!!! And did you change your "after" picture? You look gorgeous!

After my surgery I had some restriction off and on but rely focused on the new me - habits, emotions, food-real food and what I actually liked to eat. Overall I lost weight. I just had my first fill today and a real nice discussion on the very things I have been working on. It is my hope to not have to have too many fills but continue to loose weight like Revy did...but we are all different...see how it goes..

Revy, like the new photo!