Did anyone take their kids with them to Mexico when they had their surgery?

I was wondering if anyone has taken their kids to Mexico with them when they are having surgery? I have a 12 year old daughter that I am thinking of taking with me along with my mother when I have surgery. My husband has to stay here and work and I think Anna would enjoy the trip to see her Grammie rather than staying here in Tennessee with a babysitter. Lori said she has brought her kids to the Lucerna and felt it is safe there.

Thanks

okay this is totally a personal opinion...but I wouldnt take my kids there (my oldest daughter is 12). Too many reasons, but I just wouldnt. I love it there, and enjoy my time, but just feel it isnt somewhere I would like my kids to be. Just thought I would give my honest opinion mom to mom. I have and would take them to Mexico - I just wouldnt have felt during surgery time would be the best time, plus TJ isnt really a place I want them to see just yet.

As long as your mom is going....I say take her. Make sure to bring the swimming suit and some activities to keep her entertained. Most of the channels are spanish, so a lap top with movies would be awesome!

I am a mom and I WOULD take my family with me. It is a culture.....another country. The hotels are nice and have restaurants.

I went back to the hotel after my surgery.....I did not over night at the OCC. I went shopping the next day with a group of banders and my mom. We had a great time and didn't for one minute feel unsafe.

We did not go out at night.....but during the day we had a blast.

ANY CITY HAS CRIME.....ESPECIALLY THE BIG ONES.

That is my two cents!

if you kiddo has someone with her, that is a totally different story...I was under the impression that your kiddo would be alone. I have taken my kiddo to Mexico when he was 5 or so...He got to see a different way of life and now he is 14 still remembers kids selling chicklettes etc...So if they have someone with them then ya i would...

Kim :wub:

if you kiddo has someone with her, that is a totally different story...I was under the impression that your kiddo would be alone. I have taken my kiddo to Mexico when he was 5 or so...He got to see a different way of life and now he is 14 still remembers kids selling chicklettes etc...So if they have someone with them then ya i would...

Yes my mom will be there with her the whole time.. We live in Tennessee and my parents live in California. My daughter does not see her grandmother that often so I thought that they would be able to play at the pool and just spend some time together at the hotel while I was in the hospital. A vacation for her and my mom and surgery for me...

I wouldn't have any problem taking my kid to Mexico either, as long as Grandma was there to watch over her. But what about you--will you be alone for your surgery? It's not essential to have someone there with you, but I have to admit, it was nice having someone to talk to before and after the surgery--it's a long day.

I wouldn't have any problem taking my kid to Mexico either, as long as Grandma was there to watch over her. But what about you--will you be alone for your surgery? It's not essential to have someone there with you, but I have to admit, it was nice having someone to talk to before and after the surgery--it's a long day.

I just found out today that best friend from Portland has decided to have her Lap Band surgery with me on June 2nd. Lori said we can be in the same recovery room together. I think they are going to try to get us hotel rooms that are connected too.

I wonder if I should just let my mom and daughter stay at the hotel the morning of surgery. Do very many people leave the day of surgery to spend the night at the Hotel or do most people spend the night at the hospital?

I just found out today that best friend from Portland has decided to have her Lap Band surgery with me on June 2nd. Lori said we can be in the same recovery room together. I think they are going to try to get us hotel rooms that are connected too.

I wonder if I should just let my mom and daughter stay at the hotel the morning of surgery. Do very many people leave the day of surgery to spend the night at the Hotel or do most people spend the night at the hospital?

That is great that you have a buddy to go through the surgery with!

I spent the night and was glad I did, just for the security of knowing a doctor was close by just in case. I know of others that didn't spend the night and did just fine, so I guess it's just whatever you're comfortable with.

The Lucerna is a great hotel and I liked the Pool, as long as it's warm enough. I was there last Friday for a fill and it wasn't all the warm. But if your mom's with her she should be fine..yep a laptop with a DVD is a must. I stayed overnight and was glad I did..my daughter went back to the hotel and she was OK with that, she's an adult--but since your mom's with her I think it would all be well. The staff at Lucerne are great and I liked that hotel better than the Marriott.

I stayed the night, but I was also the last person (I think) to have surgery that day. I'm also glad I stayed made me feel better. Since you will have a buddy with you I think they could just go to the hotel and spend quality time together, then the next day you can join them! My mom went with me and it was nice to have her there prior to surgery, but me personally afterwards she stayed at the hotel and it was nice just to rest, have the nurses love on ya and walk the halls. I preferred not having someone there after, but everyone is different.

I wish now that my husband and I had taken our son with us last month. I had no problems at all with the surgery and went back to the Lucerna that afternoon. We walked and shopped all day the next day with no problems - our son would have had a blast. There is a nice shopping mall a short taxi ride away that has a super cool VIP theater with recliner seats. The movies were new and in English with Spanish subtitles. We turned my surgery into a mini-vacation!

You have to stay the night after surgery to make sure there isn't any post op complications. OCC will take your loved ones back to the hotel if they are there...I left to go over to the boarder after I was dc'd home. I didn't stay the 3 days at the hotel..(I know I am bad)...The cool thing is that Dr. Ortiz is sooo flippin good looking...oops I mean your only in surgery for about 20-30min total. My hubby said that it was very quick...He must have this surgery down!!!! They use LMA's for your airway, so they don't actually use a endotracheal tube to secure your airway...google LMA and you will see what I am talking about. It looks like a oblong diaphram with a tube attached to it! They put it in your trachea to breath for you! Anyways...recovery isn't bad...I told my husband.."I love you" "you could ask me anything and I couldn't lie to you" I had truth serum running in my veins. lol it was funny!

Best of luck to you

I had my surgery May 5th. We stayed at the Marriott and the pool was heated. They don't require you stay at the clinic overnight. I did and my husband went back to the motel. I would suggest leaving your mom at the motel for the surgery because you don't have a scheduled surgery time. It;s just whoever they decide to start doing the pre=ops on. I went last that day and after talking to most of the patients, I had scheduled my surgery for months in advance for the 5th but the rest had just decided a week ago or so to have surgery then. It was almost 12;30-1:00 before I was taken back for surgery. I think it may be more relaxing for you if you know your child is having more fun at the pool rather than being cramped up in the room. It may take awhile also before you get taken back to your room so you could be sitting in the lobby for awhile. Once you are in your room, you can use the phone to call and check on them. We also we shopping the next day so you could spend time with them then...Hope this helps....