Scale is the enemy

I decided today not to weigh myself for two months. I had my surgery on May 10th, but the scale isn't showing me anything positive. I feel like the scale is my enemy and I will not let it stop me. In order to keep focus, I decided to use my clothing as a guide. Last week I lost 9lbs according to the scale. This week I have gained eleven pounds. I have exercised more this week than last week, and my liquid diet hasn't changed much. Therefore, I should have lost weight or at least maintained my weight.

I am not going to allow the enemy to win (the scale). I am mentally prepared for this diet and will continue my exercise routine. Each week I plan on increasing my walk and time on the treadmill, until my 90 days are up. At this point, the aerobic classes and personal trainer will become my best friend, next to my husband.

The war is on and I will prevail...over that @#$% scale!

P.S. These forums are such an inspiration and the best support. Reading other people's struggles and rewards helps me tremendously.

I decided today not to weigh myself for two months. I had my surgery on May 10th, but the scale isn't showing me anything positive. I feel like the scale is my enemy and I will not let it stop me. In order to keep focus, I decided to use my clothing as a guide. Last week I lost 9lbs according to the scale. This week I have gained eleven pounds. I have exercised more this week than last week, and my liquid diet hasn't changed much. Therefore, I should have lost weight or at least maintained my weight.

I am not going to allow the enemy to win (the scale). I am mentally prepared for this diet and will continue my exercise routine. Each week I plan on increasing my walk and time on the treadmill, until my 90 days are up. At this point, the aerobic classes and personal trainer will become my best friend, next to my husband.

The war is on and I will prevail...over that @#$% scale!

P.S. These forums are such an inspiration and the best support. Reading other people's struggles and rewards helps me tremendously.

Oddly enough, I did not lose much weight on the post-op liquid diet either, despite walking every day. I lost 20 lbs on the pre-op diet, and when I was able to eat solids again, the weight started to come off again. Keep your chin up. You will prevail!

I started to be a scale stalker..I was insane weighing myself like 3 times a day...I finally let go of that and only weigh myself ONCE a week and don't care what the scale saids as long as I know that I am doing what I need to do.

Hi,

Somewhere in this forum is another thread dedicated to those of us with scale "issues" I found it very funny and the comments put everything in perspective. I was banded in March of this year and for a while was a scale addict myself...the scale is a machine so why do we give it the power to dictate our lives? One of the comments in the thread also had a YouTube site with some scale comments..maybe put in scale in the search box and see if you can find the thread. But at one point in the last couple of months I made up my mind not to weigh myself every day, only once a week or even once every two weeks...but instead as you mention go by how I feel and what my cloths are doing. Even better, the comments I am beginning to get. All of those things are much more positive mentally. We put out big money toward a major change in our lives...part of that change for me was old habits being thrown out...No more dieting, no more mental games with the scale, no more excuses for not exercising..it's hard but very worth it..Good Luck..we are all on the same journey just at different points..

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing liquids for several days now. I am amazed at the amount of calories and sodium i am consuming. I am trying to let go of the scale as well and go by measurements. a few weeks ago I was really frustated with the scale and when i measured i had lost 3 inches off my waist alone, 6.5 inches overall! I need to stop letting the scale dictate what kind of mood I am going to be in, and what kind of day I am going to have. I think as an obese person I was used to punishing and sabotaging myself and a scale is a great way to do that. I do agree with checking in with it, just trying to do it less and less.

The scale won't tell you everything - I suggest sticking with a 5 or 6 point measurements, so you can see if things are moving along in the direction you want them to be ...

Just keep in mind that exercising like a Demon for a week isn't enough for weight loss. It really is consistency.

I know I've said this before, but I think everyone forgets how long it took us to gain that weight, and how much energy is required to actually lose a pound.

I've also said this before: it's going to take more than just a few days of clean eating for your weight to reflect a change.

Again, long term consistency.

Diet is more than 80% of your results.

Exercise is just the 20% 'bonus'.

Keep that in mind.

http://www.livestrong.com/ is a fantastic resource website!

I started my more 'serious' food tracking on here, to ensure I was keeping myself honest. This is when I started to have real success with losing weight. Doing it 'free' wasn't working, so I decided to try this.

There is also a section where you can enter your measurements, and update them. This is where I've seen the most change!