Gastric Band Questions Answered

Dolittle

In December, several members of the OCC forum ask me to obtain answers to their questions about lap bands. I tried to get the answers from Allergan/Inamed (the manufacturer of the Lap Band) with no luck. After 6 months of trying with Allergan/Inmed, I contacted Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon who promptly provided the following answers. Johnson & Johnson/Ethicon is the manufacturer of REALIZE Bands.

I’d like to thank Marlene and the staff at J&J/Ethicon for their willingness to answer our questions and their quick response.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. How many bands/models does Johnson & Johnson manufacture?

Answer: There are two types of REALIZE Bands. The straight band holds up to 9cc (1.8 teaspoons) of saline and the REALIZE® Adjustable Gastric Band-C (curved band) holds up to 11cc of saline.

2. Which bands are available in the United States?

Answer: Both the straight and curved bands are available in the United States and Canada.

3. Which bands are only available outside of the United States?

Answer: The same bands are marketed outside the United States but are sold as the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB), although some call the SAGB “REALIZE”.

4. Forum members have read at other forum boards that, once a patient reaches their weight goal, for an unknown reason they require their band to be unfilled or in some cases even removed. Has Johnson and Johnson seen a trend in this direction? Are there any statistics or any truth to this?

Answer: The REALIZE Band is intended for long-term use. Because adjustable gastric banding surgery does not permanently change the anatomy of the stomach and intestines, the REALIZE Band can be removed, if necessary. Please keep in mind that surgery reversal is not simple, and weight gain is usually observed in people who have had their bands removed and do not continue a healthy eating regimen. In response to your inquiry regarding trends to remove the fluid or the band, I checked with an internal associate who stated that Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. does not recommend removal of fluid from the port nor removal of the band . We do not have any statistics on this trend.

5. Forum members seem to think that men require fewer adjustment/fills than women. Is there any truth to that?

Answer: The REALIZE Band is adjustable, which allows the bariatric surgeon to personalize the band fit over time. After an adjustment, the patient will be satisfied with less food, so he/she can keep losing weight gradually (1 to 2 pounds per week). As weight loss occurs, the REALIZE Band fit will change. Periodic band adjustments ensure that the amount of saline in the band (often called a "fill level") is comfortable for the patient and keeps him/her on track to meet weight loss goals. Band adjustments are unique to the person, are based on personal anatomy, and the needs of the patient. We have not done any studies regarding fills between men and women.

6. What is the Gastric banding surgery ratio between men and women?

Answer: Bariatric surgery is 80% women and 20% men. This is similar for banding surgery.

• Like 1

WELL THERE YA HAVE IT LOL THEY DON'T KNOW EITHER

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR WORK DOLITTLE, YOU'VE GONE ABOVE AND BEYOND YET AGAIN, THANK YOU!!! :)

Pammie is referring to question #4, about patients having an unfill or having their band removed once they reach goal. I don't visit other band websites so I have never read or heard of this. In the 3 years that I have been a moderator here at the OCC (lapband) forum I've never seen a post referring to patients doing this either. My own experiances with the band tells me that I will have to live with it the rest of my life. When I had my plastic surgery and had the band unfilled for 4 months, I gained weight. Needless to say, if I had my band removed, OMG. Dolittles band is for life. I don't want to go back to the 300 pounds I was when I got banded. No, no, no. It's for LIFE!

Pammie is referring to question #4, about patients having an unfill or having their band removed once they reach goal. I don't visit other band websites so I have never read or heard of this. In the 3 years that I have been a moderator here at the OCC (lapband) forum I've never seen a post referring to patients doing this either. My own experiances with the band tells me that I will have to live with it the rest of my life. When I had my plastic surgery and had the band unfilled for 4 months, I gained weight. Needless to say, if I had my band removed, OMG. Dolittles band is for life. I don't want to go back to the 300 pounds I was when I got banded. No, no, no. It's for LIFE!

Dolittle, did you have your band completely unfilled? I'm having surgery to have some tumors removed and I'm going to get an unfilled. But I didn't know how much I should get removed.

Dolittle, did you have your band completely unfilled? I'm having surgery to have some tumors removed and I'm going to get an unfilled. But I didn't know how much I should get removed.

They decided to do a partial unfill because of all the IV's they pump into you during the lower body lift. Dr. Martinez pulled .5cc's out of me. I have the 4cc band and only had around 2cc's in it at the time. I didn't have any restriction for the next 4 months and I ate like a little oinker. The theory behind the unfill is that during a big surgery lke the LBL, you might swell up and have to much restriction. Personally, I wish I would have waited to see if that would have happened or not. Since I was in TJ recovering for 10 days after the LBL, I could have ran over to the OCC and had them pull some saline out if needed. But I went with Dr. Martinez's expert advice and did the unfill before the LBL surgery. I couldn't wait to get my restriction back after the 4 months.

I want to throw in another 2cents lol

I had my band put in Dec 08

I was told by others to get a complete unfil before PS I had in May 09, but the doctor thought I would be fine since I wasnt having problems eating - glad I didnt. I would have gained.

I got pregnant Jan 1, 2010. Again was told by others to have a complete unfil, doctors again said I would be fine because my band was a little "loose" - again, glad I didnt. I am 6 months and gained 7-10 pounds. I would be over 200 by now I bet if I had a complete unfil, I eat a lot throughout the day - but the band helps me control it. I just eat little bits all day long and make sure it isnt crap food I am eating. My doctor thinks I am doing great and have gained the perfect amount of weight for my pre-pregnancy weight.

Just wanted to add that in here, since I had a lot of people who were not doctors say get completely unfilled and I listened to my regular doctor and am doing great :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been reading everyone's posts (thank you all - its been so helpful) - im considering this for myself and was wondering if anyone had any discomfort with the lap band or the portal after surgery - what is recouperating like?

I had some pain where my port is. Mine bothered me if I leaned against it etc. Actually it still does - not painful but more annoying. Mine is very close to my ribs though and if I suck in my stomach a little you can see it. Other than that is was way better than I expected.

Recouperating - hmmm...wow it has been so long. I had mine done a few days before Christmas. That was stupid, do you know how hard it was to sit at my grandmas while everyone stuffed their faces and I was on liquid UGHHHH. I wasnt actually hungry though, it was all it my head. I was okay a few weeks after. For me I would not have been able to work for at least 10 days

I hardly ever come on here anymore :S