What made you decide to get banded

Hello Everyone

I am new to the forum and scheduled for 16 JUL for a band at the OCC. I am wondering if the band is the right thing for me. I mean I am 5'11 and 240#s so my BMI is 33.5. I have known others who have gotten banded and they all seemed bigger to me than I am now.

But I am tired of hitting the ground when I jump with my daughter on the trampoline and causing the treadmill to catch when I step on the belt while it is running. And I am tired of the way I look and feel. My family genes are terrible with diabetes and High BP and High Lipids and really overweight people. So I know doing this surgery will help me control all of these conditions (none of which I have now but I know their coming if I dont control my weight). Anyway, what finally made you commit to the costs, lifestyle changes, etc needed to have the band placed? Thanks.

I am getting banded June 28 th. For me it was many reasons. I am 6 ft 330 lbs. My doctors were really concerned about my long term health with the weight i was carrying. I hurt all the time. i couldn't shop at normal stores as i needed a size 46 pants and 3 xl shirts. i couldnt play with my daughter of walk up the stairs in our house with out being out of breathe. My love life with my wife is non exisint and honestly i am tired of low self esteem because i am so over weight. I am a week away and cannot wait. Good Luck in your journey

Well, I decided because nothing else was working for me. I was 200 lbs and growing. I'm only 5'2". My hips were hurting just like they did when I was pregnant. That was really scaring me!

I tried diets, exercise, etc, etc and just couldn't find lasting success. So I decided to do it.

About 3 weeks before my surgery, I really started freaking out about the surgery, about Mexico, about WLS in general. I spoke with my fiance about it and then spoke with my coordinator about it and then I felt much better.

So far, so good! I'm 5 months out and have lost about 20 lbs since beginning this journey. Now that my restriction level is adequate, I feel like the journey is really kicking into high gear now . . . but time will tell.

Best of luck to you!

Hello Everyone

I am new to the forum and scheduled for 16 JUL for a band at the OCC. I am wondering if the band is the right thing for me. I mean I am 5'11 and 240#s so my BMI is 33.5. I have known others who have gotten banded and they all seemed bigger to me than I am now.

But I am tired of hitting the ground when I jump with my daughter on the trampoline and causing the treadmill to catch when I step on the belt while it is running. And I am tired of the way I look and feel. My family genes are terrible with diabetes and High BP and High Lipids and really overweight people. So I know doing this surgery will help me control all of these conditions (none of which I have now but I know their coming if I dont control my weight). Anyway, what finally made you commit to the costs, lifestyle changes, etc needed to have the band placed? Thanks.

Hi Mo, I was banded on 4/19/10. I weighed 353lbs when I called Dr. Miranda about which diet to do pre-op. It is now 61 days later and I weigh 296lbs. Is it right for you yes if you follow the rules of the band and use this forum for help. There are a lot of great people in here and we have all been banded and someone can always relate to a problem and help you with any you have. I have no regrets about being banded and I am happier each day as I lose weight and continue a healthier life. Good luck on your journey. TC RCR

It was the perfect tool for me and the least invasive. I followed the rules to the tee and still do. My starting BMI was 52 and it is now 28.9. I have gone from 317 pounds to 178 and have only 3 more po unds till I reach my goal.

This tool changed my life but it you have to put in the effort and live the rules. If you do that you will lose if you don't it is alot of money for minimal results. Make sure your head is the right spot that this is not a quick fix and you won't have to do anything. I worked harder at that this than any other weight loss program the difference for me with this was it was a change of lifestyle. Proof is in the numbers. I will be posting a new picture next week and having an extended tummy tuck July 8th to deal with the lose skin.

Good luck. Follow the rules and you will have great success

Debbie

All throughout last fall I thought about WLS and even went so far as discussing it with my Ins. company. Unfortunately, I found out that I would not be covered and with local costs of more than $20K for the surgery, it seemed like a moot point and I just continued on the path I was on. Fast forward to March 1 of this year. Some friends and I decided to have a weight loss contest to see who could lose the highest percentage of weight between 3/1 and 7/1. When I stepped on that scale, something I hadn't done in months, it registered at 420.4 lbs. It was one of the most depressing moments of my life. I suspected I was pretty big, but it was way worse than I imagined. That very night I started looking again and discovered Dr. Ortiz and OCC. I called the next day and made scheduled my surgery, all paid out of pocket. I had my surgery on 5/7 and it has been the best thing I ever did for myself.

I am just over six weeks out from surgery and have lost over 80 lbs. (over 50 since surgery alone!) I feel amazing. I have started running (!) and doing other exercises regularly. I have had to get smaller clothes. I just flat out feel better. I go back to OCC this saturday for my first fill/check up and I can't wait to see them and say thank you for everything they did. My life is changing daily and I couldn't be happier.

Hello Everyone

I am set for surgery day before you. I am so looking forward to it. I have not yet started my diet. I am 5'5 and 235 lbs, I think my BMI is 39.5. Good luck!

For me I felt like I had done it all - nutritionist, Weight Watchers, pills, Richard Simmons I could go on and on. Each time I would lose some and then gain it all back and more. My moment I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting on the couch and my niece came to the back door asking me to play w/ her (she lives w/me and my brother). I told her no because I was tired and the look of sadness on her face just broke my heart. It was at that moment I said I had to change for her - I could not have her remembering me as the fat aunt. Called my mom and I think she was more excited than me! I also was self pay and after a lot of research found OCC. After my mom talked to them she was ready to get on a plane - she was in the health field forever and was very pleased and still raves about the place. My dad was a tough sell but he came around.

Still never regret it not one day. I am now starting courses and hopefully by the first of the year will be a certified personal trainer and am also running in quite a few races and training for a 10k. I am a completely different person and now my niece will not remember me that way which I am very thankful for. I hope that my habits will rub off on her.

You will not regret it!

I had several reasons for getting the lap band procedure. One, I didn't feel well. I was depressed with my weight ballooning up to 375 pounds. I became a recluse, had social anxiety, and that is not my personality. By nature I am an extrovert and like to be around people. My health began to suffer and I wasn't willing to go out and be around people anymore. Relationships were out as well. I haven't dated in about 8-10 years. I feel I have missed some of the best years of my life. This is something I want to change.

I also started my PhD program. I researched and wrote a 30 page paper on the effects of obesity in the workplace. This was not just on discrimination of the obese, it was also how the obesity affected other workers in the organization, eg., coworkers having to pick up for those workers that could not do the work due to their obesity. Currently, Michigan is the only state that has a non-discrimination law regarding employee size. I could not justify the time, effort, and money to get a advanced degree if I could not be effective in my career.

Paul

Wow, Paul. Thats awesome. Ive read some things about how obesity affects advancement in the workplace, and that was a motivating factor for me too. I didnt want to be considered stupid because I was overweight.

For me, this was the next step in a series of get-your-life-on-track decisions. One, quit drinking and partying. Two, quit swearin and talkin crassly. Three, keep a cleaner house. Four, live a healthier life. I quit drinking cold-turkey February 19, 2008 and have been sober ever since. That was the first thing I took control of, then other things, eventually, I had to face my weight. I wanted lasting changes, so here I am.

And finally, I am 27 and have never been in love. I think you need to love yourself before someone else can love you, and this is just one of those things getting me on my path.

Yes. I was hoping to get my life together awhile back. I stuck in a job for 10 years that had no upward mobility and I figured I gained 10 pounds a year over the last 10 years. While some people commented on my weight gain I felt lost and like the "helpless dog" being shocked and sitting back just taking it. Now that I have had the surgery I feel liberated and looking forward to new opportunities. I just wished I would have done this sooner.

Paul

Funny I am watching Dr. Oz as I type and he just talked about workplace discrimination and how obese people make about 20% less than everyone else. Sad, but it is absolutely true.

Funny I am watching Dr. Oz as I type and he just talked about workplace discrimination and how obese people make about 20% less than everyone else. Sad, but it is absolutely true.

Love your picture. You look beautiful

Debbie

Well, I just scheduled my band surgery for November 12, 2010. For me, I guess I just realized that I was going in the wrong direction in life. I was tired of putting myself last and self medicating myself with food. I have always had weight issues and I decided that enough was enough. I want to live a long healthy life and eventually have children but neither is really possible (for me) with all of this excess weight. My husband is supportive (finally) and I am finally ready to change.

Your family sounds like my family and that is why I did it. I have an aunt and a grandma with diabetes and a father that is borderline. I have watched my aunt lose both of her legs to the disease and I did not want that to happen to me. I knew that I could do something to counteract the future that I saw for myself at that time and I did it. I now know that I have done everything I can to make sure that I live a long, healthy life and to make sure that I am able to see my nephews grow up so that they can take care of me when I am old.

I also was considered a light weight in regards to many people who have the surgery, but that did not matter to me. After trying everything else under the sun I felt that this was the only hope I had left.

I am who I am, they are who they are, and you are who you are, so make the decision for the future of yourself and what you know to be best for you.