should I stay or go?

I am heading down for my second fill 3rd week in July, It is not easy to spend the night there because I have 3 kids and a husband who can not take off of work right now as he is starting a new job on the 6th of July. I had 5cc put in about 2 weeks ago and I have no restriction at all. I can get to the occ by 9:30 am for one of the first fill appts and hang out there all day, then catch a plane out at like 9pm. I should be able to have a small breakfast and late lunch at OCC.

Do you think that will be good enough? Or do I have to stay the night? Any advice would be appreciated. I keep going back and forth and I am driving myself crazy!

Hi,

I have had two fills and both times went in early and went home the same day. I did just what you suggested and hung out...eating a small meal to see if all was "well" so far this has worked for both myself and my daughter.

I have never stayed there I have my fill frist thing in the morning and right back across the border i go I do stay in san diego for luch just in case if alls good back to arizona I go It always worked for me. I do follow the rules DR. SO gives me.

Hope this helps

I have never stayed there I have my fill frist thing in the morning and right back across the border i go I do stay in san diego for luch just in case if alls good back to arizona I go It always worked for me. I do follow the rules DR. SO gives me.

Hope this helps

That is great info from both of you. :) thanks. I was thinking I will eat at the occ that way I don't have to go back over the border.

Thats great info

I am heading out for my second fill next week - I live in coastal North Carolina, so it's alot of travel for me each way. I leave at 9 AM on wednesday and arrive in San Diego at 5:45 PM - so have to wait till the next morning to get my fill, then catch a 1:30 flight back and land at midnight with a 2 1/2 hour drive home from the airport. When I went for my first fill I made a weekend of it, but that's harder to do this time - it's tourist season and I work weekends. First fill left me with no restriction so I am hoping this one hits the sweet spot. I plan to eat a light lunch at the airport and if there's a problem I guess I'll miss my flight!

I am heading down for my second fill 3rd week in July, It is not easy to spend the night there because I have 3 kids and a husband who can not take off of work right now as he is starting a new job on the 6th of July. I had 5cc put in about 2 weeks ago and I have no restriction at all. I can get to the occ by 9:30 am for one of the first fill appts and hang out there all day, then catch a plane out at like 9pm. I should be able to have a small breakfast and late lunch at OCC.

Do you think that will be good enough? Or do I have to stay the night? Any advice would be appreciated. I keep going back and forth and I am driving myself crazy!

Hello,

When I went for my first fill, I chose to stay overnight, just in case...??? Dr. So told me when I went for the first fill, he usually has people refrain from eating immediately after the first fill, but then after that...he said it could be done. Then he threw me a curve and said that since I had done so well (I guess I answered his questions to his liking) he said I could eat small meals while I was there...beginning immediately. So, I did. No problems. I have not be one to challenge the band though. Now, I don't feel like I have enough restriction and will be making plans to go back for another. I am not sure when. As for your question...since you have already had the first one, you should be OK with your plan to have the second fill, hang out during the day and then catch your plane back home. That should be enough time to let you know if you have a good fill.

Regardless of your decision...GOOD LUCK and keep us posted as to how the second fill goes. Sometimes I wonder if I should even try for a second.

My Best

Appy

Not to confuse you even more, but the problem I see either way (and the reason I feel fils at OCC are more hassle than they are worth) is that your restriction level the same day you have your fill is not reflective of what your restriction level will be a couple weeks later. You don't get filled and then stay at a consistent restriction level- it fluctuates. That is why I would work to find a fill center or surgery center in your area that will work with you. OCC has a list of fill docs across the country and can provide you with names. Unless you live close by, it could become very costly and inconvenient- especially if you ever need emergency unfills which I needed twice in my first year- the last one following a fill I had at OCC that seemed perfectly fine when I left there...and I had waited 24 hours just to make sure.

Sabrina:)

I have always known fairly soon after if it was too tight or not enough restriction. That happened recently and I ended up taking 4 trips to a nearby fill center. I live on an island so even vehicle travel is expensive. One time though, I got a fill and all was well untill 2 weeks later when the gates of hell slammed shut on my esophagus. lol. The last time I stayed in San Deigo a couple days, and on July 24 plan to do the same. It is expensive and hard on my family, but my hubby is great about it, and reminds me it is my health we are talking about. He is getting banded soon too! Yay. I will have to remember to be patient with him too! lol

I made a promise to myself to only go to the OCC from now on, in the long run I think it will save time and money and help me feel less fear about my band. They really know their stuff, and they care about our success. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Well I decided not to stay. My appt. is at 9:30 and my flight leaves at 5:30 pm. Enough time for me to eat something before I leave. I would rather have the OCC do my fill as no one around me does fills with Flouroscopy (sp?) If I need to be unfilled I will go to a fill center. I am crossing my fingers that all goes great and I end up lucky with perfect restriction. :) Thanks for all of the advice.