Who can eat bread and rice?

Hello,

I just got my second fill last week and went from 5.00 to 8.00cc's. I know I was too full, so went back to the OCC on Tuesday and Dr So took me down to 7.5. Last night I had a small piece of steak and some rice. I either ate too much or it was the rice, but it hurt like hell when I was done. Today, went to the fair with my husband and kids. Took a couple of bites of my husbands

gyro which is meat on flat bread. Hurt again and felt like it was stuck. I went to the bathroom and threw up. I'm wondering if I'm still too tight or it is bread and rice. I'm trying to figure out

the lap band and what I can and cannot do. What are your thoughts on bread and rice?

Thanks!

Heidi

I'M NEVER KEPT THE BAND SO TIGHT THAT IT COULDN'T RESTRICT ANY FOODS. BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH BREAD, PASTA, RICE ETC. SINCE YOUR HAVING PROBLEM WHEN EATING THOSE TWO IDEAS, JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOUR NOT JUST HAVING ISSUES WITH THOSE OR TOO TIGHT

Bread hurts but rice is fine, havent tried pasta yet. I dont eat nor miss any it though. Bread has been my enemy way before the band. We go waaaay back. Ive eaten beef (carne asada chopped really fine) since getting restriction and it was fine. The bread is the only thing that hurt like hell.

I walked towork this morning and when I got in I was super parched, so I took a big sip of cold water from the cooler, youch. It felt like I had a chunk of bread stuck in there, pretty uncomfortable. I guess I gotta go back to sip-sip, esp cold stuff in the AM. I think since we just got restriction its an exploratory time, so cautiously try things, see what hurts after one bite, and if it does, ditch it. Put it on a mental list of stuff that didnt work now, but might work in the future.

In the meanwhile, def avoid bread.

Hello,

I just got my second fill last week and went from 5.00 to 8.00cc's. I know I was too full, so went back to the OCC on Tuesday and Dr So took me down to 7.5. Last night I had a small piece of steak and some rice. I either ate too much or it was the rice, but it hurt like hell when I was done. Today, went to the fair with my husband and kids. Took a couple of bites of my husbands

gyro which is meat on flat bread. Hurt again and felt like it was stuck. I went to the bathroom and threw up. I'm wondering if I'm still too tight or it is bread and rice. I'm trying to figure out

the lap band and what I can and cannot do. What are your thoughts on bread and rice?

Thanks!

Heidi

At my fill level right now, I can eat bread. Example I had a chicken sandwich this week. One slice of bread, grilled chicken, mayo. I was able to eat it and a Tbs of baked beans.

When I have rice, I again have a Tbs of rice.

When I have french fries, I have 4 or 5.

I do not eliminate foods, just limit them.

I will say this as well. I don't eat bread often, or rice for that matter. Maybe once every few months.

Welcome to the world of learning...in fact, I have a list of foods that "work" or don't, which I am constantly adding to. So as above here are mine:

1. No white anything, especially doughy bread...think ball of dough in a funnel.

2. Rice, one or two tablespoons

3. Steak, yeah right...unless you chew it to the consistency of baby food

Its a learning curve, welcome to the world of new eating behavior and food patterns...

Well today I ate about two slices of roast beef (thin from the deli) and a fork full of tuna. It hurt like hell going down. Just trying to figure out if I am eating too fast or the band is still too tight? I got my unfill on Monday and have had to throw up three times since then. I'm going to call Dr So tomorrow. When things get stuck does everyone just wait for them to pass or do

you feel the need to toss your cookies?

Well today I ate about two slices of roast beef (thin from the deli) and a fork full of tuna. It hurt like hell going down. Just trying to figure out if I am eating too fast or the band is still too tight? I got my unfill on Monday and have had to throw up three times since then. I'm going to call Dr So tomorrow. When things get stuck does everyone just wait for them to pass or do

you feel the need to toss your cookies?

I personally think you need to go back to soft/mushies or protein shakes for a day. Sounds to me like you are PB to much and odds are have swelling. Once the swelling goes down, try food again.

If you are wondering if you are chewing your food enough, take a bite chew it up, and instead of swallowing, spit it out and take a look. Are you chewing enough?? Reduce your bite size by 1/3. Small bites, lots of chewing.

Try liquids to let your pouch/stoma settle down. Also malox will help with the irritation.

I can eat bread and rice, at least on some days and at some times of the day. Just depends, usually only my evening meal. Rice, maybe 1/4 cup and bread, a few bites (sometimes more) at the end of the meal. I do not keep my lapband tight though. I agree with Angie, you might have some irritation and swelling and should just take it easy a few days. Then start small, SMALL bites too, think toddler size and chew (I used to count to 30) before swallowing.

I would skip trying to eat bread until you can manage protein and vegies/fruits. It is supposed to be the last thing we eat anyway (if we have room) and I think that is because it is so troublesome for so many of us. Good luck with your band.

I probably do have swelling. I made an appointment to go back next Wednesday to get some taken out. Just trying to figure out if this is me or the band? So far, I really don't like this and don't have the time to keep going back to the OCC. Will it get better??

I'M NEVER KEPT THE BAND SO TIGHT THAT IT COULDN'T RESTRICT ANY FOODS. BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH BREAD, PASTA, RICE ETC. SINCE YOUR HAVING PROBLEM WHEN EATING THOSE TWO IDEAS, JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOUR NOT JUST HAVING ISSUES WITH THOSE OR TOO TIGHT

I agree. I am just starting to wrap my brain around restriction. I love that I can eat a much smaller portion of what I ate before and not be hungry for 4..5..hours. I'm so glad I can still eat bread.

When you PB, you swell up and need to do 24-hours of liquids after. I'm sure if you weren't already swollen form the previous pb, you probably wouldn't have problems wth some of those foods (deli beef, tuna) but typically beef and bread are out for bandsters!

Sabrina:)

I tossed my cookies twice yesterday. Going on liquids today. My stomach is kind of crampy. Stupid me, I ate about three bites of ribs last night and made myself sick again.

So, meat is out with the lap band for most people?

I realized I was too tight after not being able to eat bread, steak, rice, pork. I had a slight unfil and then could eat those foods - just small quantities and very very very slow. I have to chew them like crazy. I will never be that tight again - where I have restrictions on what I can eat - just how much. THOUGH - I can not eat any foods except oatmeal and smoothies before about 11 am. I could but I would have to chew so much and I admit - I am so hungry in the mornings I have a smoothy and I am happy again :) I just cant sit long enough to chew because I am too hungry when I get up and eat too quickly.

I tossed my cookies twice yesterday. Going on liquids today. My stomach is kind of crampy. Stupid me, I ate about three bites of ribs last night and made myself sick again.

So, meat is out with the lap band for most people?

NO. You should be able to keep down protein. EXTREMELY important.

If you can't keep it down, it's probably a sign you're too tight.

I definitely encourage you to do just liquids/mushies for a while after you get sick. I can still do tortilias but those are hit and miss for me. Bread if I pick it into tiny little bites, but I just don't let myself do that very often only if i'm having a major craving. Rice I just decided to quit doing a long time ago so not sure if it will go down or not.

You will see that everyone has different things they can handle and not. That is the fun of the band! :)

I definitely encourage you to do just liquids/mushies for a while after you get sick. I can still do tortilias but those are hit and miss for me. Bread if I pick it into tiny little bites, but I just don't let myself do that very often only if i'm having a major craving. Rice I just decided to quit doing a long time ago so not sure if it will go down or not.

You will see that everyone has different things they can handle and not. That is the fun of the band! smile.gif

Shelby - love the new picture! YOU LOOK AWESOME!

no bread (at all), no pasta (at all), no rice (at all)

That has been my mantra pretty much. In addition to that, I have basically eliminated cheese and beef from my diet as well. I still have some cheese in a couple of dishes, but nowhere near what I used to consume.

I think it is a personal decision for everyone, but I have read way too many stories of people PBing after eating those items. And since I don't have a desire to PB, I just decided to give those foods up at this time to avoid just such a possibility. And there are so many other great foods out there that don't cause me any problems, I haven't had any trouble with "missing" those foods.

I can do both any time day or night. In regards to the rice I just make sure that it is not too dry. As for the bread, even though I can eat it I try not to. I do not buy white bread at all. If I am eating something on a hotdog bun I pull the majority of the bun off and just give myself enough to hold on to in an attempt to protect my clothes and my girls from the ketchup - it doesn't work. In regards to hamburger buns I the bottom one off completely and once again pick a bunch of the top one off so that I just have enought to hold on to. Other things such as garlic bread I eat a bite or two and pitch the rest of it. A taste is really all I need for me to consider myself "normal".

I also eat pasta without a problem, although the spaghetti noodles kind of scare b/c I find them hard to chew. To remedy this I just make my spaghetti at home with rigatoni and when eating spaghetti elsewhere I cut it up like I would to feed it to a two year old child. When I am done eating it I kind of resemble a two year old child as well.