Trouble with making the decision of having surgery

xxstellarboy

Hello,

My name is Alex and i'm 18yrs turning 19 in September, i live in Miami, i recently had a check up with my pediatrician

and spoke to her about the lap band surgery. I am interested in going through with the the surgery, yet after doing my

research and reading about all the complications i'm a bit hesitant to do it. Some of the research has lead

to me to the DO's and DONT's, issue with me is that i have a passion for dancing and for the home cooked meals

that i really enjoy (including the one's they tell you not to eat when having the lap band) I know that it is a

life changing decision. I'm afraid of not being able to do those things that i love, including dancing, theme

parks, etc. I currently weigh 220 and i measure 5'7, my BMI is 34.

I have seen some of the videos about the lapband and all the success stories,

I have an appointment to attend the gastric band seminar this upcoming Tuesday,

i would really appreciate it if you would share your thoughts about the issue of

making my decision.

I do everything I did before. I love dancing! I just eat less and more slowly - I still eat everything I did before. I was slightly over filled for awhile and couldnt do breads, carbs - but once I had the proper fill I was alright with it. :) I love my band!

Thank you so much! i really appreciate it! Just as any other patient i'm a bit hesitant. I have a seminar tomorrow,

Once again thank you for the advice! :)

OK, I hope this isn't the unpopular answer, but whatever...

Are you sure that surgery is the right option for you? While you are overweight and could stand to lose (don't take offense at that by the way, we all were/are in the same boat), I think you could still try to do it the old fashioned way. You are only 18, it is highly likely that your body is still changing to some degree. Even at 5'7", you probably only need to lose about 50lbs, maybe. I would suggest trying to do everything you can before you try surgery. But at the end of the day, it's your body and your decision so do what you think is best. But I can't help but thinking that if you go with surgery at such a young age and with such a small amount to lose (in the grand scheme of things) you are going to get somewhat resentful. Especially when you turn 21. :-)

Your welcome! I wish I would have done this when I was 20 instead of 30 - I missed out on a lot of dancing lol

Once again thank you so much for the support. Today i have the seminar to attend and I've

done my research and look forward to what they have to say. As long as i get to dance

again with no problems i'm fine! It's just one of those passions of mine.

OK, I hope this isn't the unpopular answer, but whatever...

Are you sure that surgery is the right option for you? While you are overweight and could stand to lose (don't take offense at that by the way, we all were/are in the same boat), I think you could still try to do it the old fashioned way. You are only 18, it is highly likely that your body is still changing to some degree. Even at 5'7", you probably only need to lose about 50lbs, maybe. I would suggest trying to do everything you can before you try surgery. But at the end of the day, it's your body and your decision so do what you think is best. But I can't help but thinking that if you go with surgery at such a young age and with such a small amount to lose (in the grand scheme of things) you are going to get somewhat resentful. Especially when you turn 21. :-)

Thank you for the support! But i have tried many diets and the old fashion way, i would work

out every day and would walk to and from school that i attended. I also joined a danced

team which is my passion. I lost some weight but after a couple of months i regained

the weight i had lost and more. I would take personal fitness classes and would not lose.

I am still contemplating on my decision. Today i have to attend the seminar and i look

forward to it. What do you mean that i would get somewhat resentful? Mine elaborating on

that a bit?

Once again thank you for the support and the honesty, i look forward to your response.

• 3 weeks later...

Good for you for doing your research. I learned alot in my research and opted for the gastric sleeve instead of the lap band; it looked like it had fewer complications and didn't require fills. My surgery was on July 12 at OCC. So far, everything is going smoothly. At your age, the lap band might be more appropriate as it is reversible; the sleeve is not. You may also want to talk to Dr. Ortiz and the other staff members at OCC -- they are very knowledgable and willing to discuss all issues to help you make your decision. Good luck.