Walkers / Runners - I need some tips

Hello All!

I am 2 yrs post-surgery. Lost approx 80 pounds in year one and have remained at that weight for over a year. Still want to loose 20-30 pounds, but I'm happy with my results thus far and my restriction. In the last year I've started a new company and my husband has started traveling for work so he hasn't been able to share the kid-load as much as in the past. Not complaining, just kindof saying it's been a hectic year and I'm really happy to have stayed at this weight.

I'm ready to kick up the exercise (and focus on better eating choices) to start the scale moving in the right direction. I've started a 12 week program to train for a 1/2 marathon. I've finished week 1 and I'm really excited that I've been able to keep up! This race requires a maximum 15 min mile for the first 6 miles or they don't let you finish. I'm really optimistic that I can do it.

I'm hoping some of you who understand where I have been with being obese, having the lapband, and having excess skin that hasn't been addressed yet can give me some tips/tricks to help me on my journey.

Here's my questions:

1. THE THIGH RUB: Partly because they've held on to the fat well and partly because of loose skin, my thighs rub together. It's actually the one thing that is stopping me from going farther or faster! It is so irritating and after a couple of miles, painful! Tips? Tricks? Should I vaseline my thighs? Baby powder? Hopefully they'll shrink before the big run!

2. RUNNING GEAR FOR BIG GIRLS: I'm having problems finding the running shirts that help wick away sweat for larger people. I'm still probably a 14W/16W size and "well endowed." Regular cotton t-shirts are too hot and irritating. I think a running shirt would be better. Any suggestions where to get them?

3. STAYING HYDRATED: I don't usually have a problem drinking liquids (maybe 1st thing in the am, when I'm extremely stressed, or during Aunt Flo's visit -- but not often.). I'm worried about getting enough liquids down while going long distances. I'm finding after a few miles I REALLY want to Gulp, not sip! Experienced runners with any insight? How did you stay hydrated?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Tanya in Nashville

Thanks in advance

Hello All!

I am 2 yrs post-surgery. Lost approx 80 pounds in year one and have remained at that weight for over a year. Still want to loose 20-30 pounds, but I'm happy with my results thus far and my restriction. In the last year I've started a new company and my husband has started traveling for work so he hasn't been able to share the kid-load as much as in the past. Not complaining, just kindof saying it's been a hectic year and I'm really happy to have stayed at this weight.

I'm ready to kick up the exercise (and focus on better eating choices) to start the scale moving in the right direction. I've started a 12 week program to train for a 1/2 marathon. I've finished week 1 and I'm really excited that I've been able to keep up! This race requires a maximum 15 min mile for the first 6 miles or they don't let you finish. I'm really optimistic that I can do it.

I'm hoping some of you who understand where I have been with being obese, having the lapband, and having excess skin that hasn't been addressed yet can give me some tips/tricks to help me on my journey.

Here's my questions:

1. THE THIGH RUB: Partly because they've held on to the fat well and partly because of loose skin, my thighs rub together. It's actually the one thing that is stopping me from going farther or faster! It is so irritating and after a couple of miles, painful! Tips? Tricks? Should I vaseline my thighs? Baby powder? Hopefully they'll shrink before the big run!

2. RUNNING GEAR FOR BIG GIRLS: I'm having problems finding the running shirts that help wick away sweat for larger people. I'm still probably a 14W/16W size and "well endowed." Regular cotton t-shirts are too hot and irritating. I think a running shirt would be better. Any suggestions where to get them?

3. STAYING HYDRATED: I don't usually have a problem drinking liquids (maybe 1st thing in the am, when I'm extremely stressed, or during Aunt Flo's visit -- but not often.). I'm worried about getting enough liquids down while going long distances. I'm finding after a few miles I REALLY want to Gulp, not sip! Experienced runners with any insight? How did you stay hydrated?

Tanya in Nashville

Thanks in advance

Tanya,

I need to start to exercise too. I went to Target and found a few 2x work out pants and I got a sports bra.. Yesterday when school shopping for my 12 year old at Old Navy I found some work out clothes. I still need to wear a 2x shirt and they had a few of those that matched the work out bras. Our Old Navy had them marked down 50% here in Memphis.I opened an Old Navy Charge Card and got another 20% off my total bill.

I know you get free shipping on the Old Navy Web Site if you purchase $50.00 online.

I know what you mean about the thigh rub. I get that when I am walking in a dress or even bathing suit. I can't imagine what running would do to me... Maybe A&D ointment might work. There is always the Boudroux Butt Paste Baby Rash Cream. ( I think I spelled it wrong but you can find it in the baby isle. It is made in Louisiana.

Good luck...

Sherri in Memphis

PS Are you getting your fills in TN or going to the OCC?

Sherri,

Thanks for the shopping tips. I'll check out Target asap! I don't think our Old Navy carries the women's sizes and I am hesitant to order on-line since I'm having a hard time finding a good fit.

I did get my fills in Nashville, but it's been over a year (and I'm still very happy with the fill I have.) It's expensive ($500/fill!) but I just don't have time to travel. Check out http://www.baptistweightloss.com/ (Baptist Metabolic Surgery Center) Dr. Morton is who I see. If you had your surgery in Mexico they insist you see the Dr (not the nurse or phys assist), so it takes a good 6 weeks to get an appointment (but they will see you immediately for "emergencies" or un-fills.) Dr. Morton did the surgery for a friend of mine and she really liked him.

u

If you go to a running store they carry something called ezglide or something like that. I believe it is silicone base. I use it for my skin that comes out of the side of my bra and rubs on my arms. I carry a hyration belt (also at running store) around my waist. You can get ones that hold 4 little bottles. I like it for the hydration but even more I like it for helping to support the exess skin.

Runners World and Running Room have good online tips but for hydration I would suggest be really really hydrated the day before a run. Sometimes swooshing sugar free gatorade and spitting it out helps me when I am thirsty but full. Hope that helps. I have done a ultra marathon (about 40 miles) and a half marathon. I am training for another race right now. I alternate power walking with running...about 14 minute miles. It feels great, but remember when you step up the training the hunger steps up to so it is smart to have a plan. Sounds like you do! Yay!

definitely one of the glide products.

and, Gold Bond food powder. It's amazing stuff. And I use it all over my body, including my dog.

It keeps moisture away.

Clothing

Lululemon (http://www.lululemon.com/) clothing. Totally worth the extra $$. They're made not to chaif, and they have great sizing.

Go with longer fitting (more of a crop pant) that's breathable, but will hold everything in nice and snug.

AND

MEC - http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

I find the cheap (old navy, walmart, target) stuff doesn't keep it's stretch or tightness after a few washes. Waste of money. And I don't even bother buying the crappy clothing anymore.

Hydration, I've been drinking a bottle of G2 (the gatorade low cal stuff - http://www.gatorade.com/default.aspx#product?s=g2) just to ensure I'm getting electrolytes. You could also go with Pedialyte (http://pedialyte.com/). It's made a world of difference.

BIG BIG difference, actually. No more head aches & I'm not very lethargic anymore.

Because I can't drink a tone of water anymore, without getting the burbs badly, I rely on this stuff. Just make sure you go with the lower sugar stuff & not that vitamin water, that's full of crap.

Also, invest in one of these.

A hip pouch that can carry water. I use this one.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442621094&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700103&bmUID=1279206856847

Hello All!

Here's my questions:

Tanya in Nashville

Thanks in advance

Here's my questions:

1. THE THIGH RUB: GLIDE GLIDE AND MORE GLIDE. I use it every time I go out. I also put it under my bra.

2. RUNNING GEAR FOR BIG GIRLS: I get item from Wal-Mart, Target, Big 5 and REI and they carry bigger sizes. Buy a GOOD bra!!!!!

3. STAYING HYDRATED: Big 5 and REI has shot blocks that we use on long runs and I have a hand water bottle. I also use gum...

Good Luck and let me know how you are doing :wub:

Congrats that is awesome that you are getting into running! I started about 10 months ago and I try to do at least 1 race a month. Actually doing one tomorrow. I have some shorts I found that I did pay a little more for at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they are a little longer (about halfway to my knee) and that really helps with my "chub rub" as I like to call it. My arms are a lot smaller but I have a lot of loose skin so I have to make sure I have on a shirt with sleeves or it's bad news bears. On the hydration I do ok b/c the longest i've run is 6 miles, but I am training for a 10k and team marathon in the fall so I love these tips I really need to make sure i'm ready. Love the pedialite idea!

Thanks for all the great tips.

I found Nike Dri-Fit shirts at Academy Sports and Dick's Sporting Goods in size 1X that fit great!

Body Glide is the best $5 I ever spent! I super-glide around the bra, under my watch, everywhere that might get irritated.

I also bought some Under Armour 7" legging shorts that I wear under my runnning shorts. No more "CHUB RUB!"

Hydrating - loving G2 to drink before & after but still working on drinking over longer distances. I'm not wanting to carry it around my waist or on my back, but as my distances get longer I'll probably have to give in.

Thanks everyone!

Tanya

Hello All!

Here's my questions:

Tanya in Nashville

Thanks in advance

I can offer up the suggestion of using Monistat's Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel. I have large thighs and have always had the rub issue. I have done the 3 day 60 mile Susan G Komen walk and using this chafing gel have not had any issues. Good luck

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

Training for the 1/2 marathon was awesome and helped me drop a few pounds after being on a plateau for a long time. Thanks for everyone for the all the tips you shared.

With Fall allergies, I had a slight unfill -- too much mucus and I felt like I was choking/sliming when I ran.

Finished the 1/2 Marathon in October and felt such a huge sense of accomplishment.

Rewarded my self with a tummy tuck yesterday!

My plan is to maintain weight as I recover and make good choices going into the holidays. I'll start walking soon and will do the annual Zoo Run Run 5K in January with my family.

Also, asking for gift cards only for Christmas. It will be very interesting to shop for new clothes. I've been able to buy some 14s (VERY STRANGE to be in the regular ladies section for the first time since high school!) but because of all the loose skin/muffin top / apron they have been loose on the waist with the big gap in the bac in order to fit the apron in the front!

Certainly not done with my weightloss journey, but feel like I'm at a different stage where will power, exercise and good food choices are more a part of my life now. I'm relying less on restriction, but feels good to know that I have the lap band and can get a fill if I need a little help.

Again, thank you thank you thank you for all sharing your journeys and advice too!

Tanya