Sleeve Surgery Post Op Day 10 (Part 1)

I got an email from Lori today asking me to join and share my experience with my Sleeve surgery, so here I am.

A little background: I got a band in Oct. 2005, and did not follow instructions very well. I thought the band was going to be the miracle cure; I still wanted to eat, and did eat too much. I eventually got over-filled and ended up not being able to keep down solids. I tried to get help from a gastric doc in Phoenix, but none would see me since I had surgery in Mexico. I even had one tell me he was trained by Dr. Ortiz, but his malpractice insurance wouldn't let him see me. After 6 months of throwing up I finally called OCC. By then the band had slipped, and I just wanted it off! Dr. Martinez removed my band in Oct. 2008 and I have let my body heal and, of course, went back to eating. In a year and a half I re-gained all of my weight and knew I needed help. I opted for a Sleeve because I wanted the same results but feared the band issues I had before.

I scheduled surgery on July 2nd, and had the Sleeve operation on July 12th. I was 272 when I scheduled, and 259 the day of surgery. Today I am 255, but have been on a steroid for my asthma. I anticipate that when I finish it in 4 days the scale will show it. But I am losing inches as evidenced by my clothes.

I am wondering if I am on your path. I have never had restriction in the year I have been banded. So of course I have eaten larger amounts than what is required to have weight loss. I started off great the first 6 months, on my own being diciplined despite my lack of restsriction. I kept hoping the next fill would do it. But it hasn't happened and I could eat a whole NY steak now, no problem. I wonder how many people have this same problem statistically. I knew this was a gamble because I have been fat all my life. I was just hoping this would be the thing that would assist my struggle to get it all under control. Currently I am drinking liquid protein drinks and no solids to help me get back to a controlled diet and dicipline. I plan to go back to OCC for a flouroscope and see where I am at. Trying to stay positive. There are so many succesful stories here, you keep me motivated.

I got an email from Lori today asking me to join and share my experience with my Sleeve surgery, so here I am.

A little background: I got a band in Oct. 2005, and did not follow instructions very well. I thought the band was going to be the miracle cure; I still wanted to eat, and did eat too much. I eventually got over-filled and ended up not being able to keep down solids. I tried to get help from a gastric doc in Phoenix, but none would see me since I had surgery in Mexico. I even had one tell me he was trained by Dr. Ortiz, but his malpractice insurance wouldn't let him see me. After 6 months of throwing up I finally called OCC. By then the band had slipped, and I just wanted it off! Dr. Martinez removed my band in Oct. 2008 and I have let my body heal and, of course, went back to eating. In a year and a half I re-gained all of my weight and knew I needed help. I opted for a Sleeve because I wanted the same results but feared the band issues I had before.

I scheduled surgery on July 2nd, and had the Sleeve operation on July 12th. I was 272 when I scheduled, and 259 the day of surgery. Today I am 255, but have been on a steroid for my asthma. I anticipate that when I finish it in 4 days the scale will show it. But I am losing inches as evidenced by my clothes.

What I am wondering is if you can "eat around" a sleeve too? Since I have so much trouble with fills, I've often thought a sleeve would be my Plan B if I ever had to have my band removed but can't you stretch your pouch just as easily with a sleeve if you over-eat? I don't really understand how it is any different than being banded except for the not needing fills part?

Sabrina:)

What I am wondering is if you can "eat around" a sleeve too? Since I have so much trouble with fills, I've often thought a sleeve would be my Plan B if I ever had to have my band removed but can't you stretch your pouch just as easily with a sleeve if you over-eat? I don't really understand how it is any different than being banded except for the not needing fills part?

Sabrina:)

I imagine you can, but it would be more difficult, I think. Right now I am pretty restricted, and can eat about as much as with a band (4 - 8 oz. depending on what I'm eating). Broth about 8 oz, creamy soups about 4 oz., yogurt about 6 oz. The line of staples would make stretching the sleeve difficult to do. A year or two down the road it might be more flexible, but I am to the point that I don't WANT to find way around the restriction, or to fool my body. When I had the band I did all of that. I also paid the consequences with my health. So this time I am doing what I am supposed to - for my health as well as because I'm worth it. I have had a HUGE mental adjustment over 5 years ago. I did have "head hunger" the other night, chewed a bite of cheese for about 4 minutes to get the taste, then spit out all of it. It was jsut enough to have the taste, without sabotaging myself.

• 5 weeks later...

I imagine you can, but it would be more difficult, I think. Right now I am pretty restricted, and can eat about as much as with a band (4 - 8 oz. depending on what I'm eating). Broth about 8 oz, creamy soups about 4 oz., yogurt about 6 oz. The line of staples would make stretching the sleeve difficult to do. A year or two down the road it might be more flexible, but I am to the point that I don't WANT to find way around the restriction, or to fool my body. When I had the band I did all of that. I also paid the consequences with my health. So this time I am doing what I am supposed to - for my health as well as because I'm worth it. I have had a HUGE mental adjustment over 5 years ago. I did have "head hunger" the other night, chewed a bite of cheese for about 4 minutes to get the taste, then spit out all of it. It was jsut enough to have the taste, without sabotaging myself.

I had a non-adjustable band put on in 2003. I now weigh more than I have ever weighed in my life. I tried to tell the surgeon that the pouch was too big and I was able to eat too much. His response was that the goal was not to see how much I could eat, but how little. My response was that if I had been able to do that, I wouldn't have had the surgery to begin with. Since then, I have been diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes, ongoing depression, not to mention that I have chronic back pain, my legs and ankles swell, yada, yada, yada.

I am now on my full liquid 3 week diet prior to the sleeve surgery that I am scheduled for on the 14th. I have lost nearly 10 pounds in 4 days, but have the headache to pay for it. It's proving to be quite difficult not to want to eat food here at work. At home, I have not had a problem yet except for missing my popcorn. . .LOL

I am bound and determined to do this right this time. I have to. . . I am using every cent I have been saving up for retirement to do this. No nest egg to fall back on now.

I will need a lot of support after this and hopefully will find it here. And, hopefully, I will be able to be the support to those that follow me. . .

Everybody think of me on the 14th... as I have this band removed and the sleeve performed by Dr. Ortiz. . . BTW, doesn't he have the most dreamy eyes?? LOL

I can't wait to meet him in person. . .

Shari

Hi

I'm so glad you posted.

I had my band feb 2008 had great sucess and lost 110lbs BUT then suddenly couldn't keep solids or fluids down and long story short had to have emergency removal.

I have gained all my weight back and have been looking into the sleeve.

How long did you have to stay in TJ? was it really different from banding.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Shari

I will be following you in your quest for a healthy body and healthy weight loss. I spoke to Lori yesterday and today had a conference call with Dr So and well I'm waiting for them to send me the 21-DAY LIQUID DIET, so that I can start adjusting and doing it. Once I receive it I will be getting a complete unfill. I was banded 3/2008, lost close to 50lbs and I'm stuck with no further weight loss. I've tried it all. I did have several PB'ing events and they were nothing comfortable. Since I have severe back problems, I've decided to take this weight loss lifestyle to the next level by getting a VSG - Vertical Sleeve. Please keep us updated. Oh and count on me to be part of your support team.

PLS: Try to post as soon as possible after your surgery and share your experience.

Good luck,

Ruth

I had a non-adjustable band put on in 2003. I now weigh more than I have ever weighed in my life. I tried to tell the surgeon that the pouch was too big and I was able to eat too much. His response was that the goal was not to see how much I could eat, but how little. My response was that if I had been able to do that, I wouldn't have had the surgery to begin with. Since then, I have been diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes, ongoing depression, not to mention that I have chronic back pain, my legs and ankles swell, yada, yada, yada.

I am now on my full liquid 3 week diet prior to the sleeve surgery that I am scheduled for on the 14th. I have lost nearly 10 pounds in 4 days, but have the headache to pay for it. It's proving to be quite difficult not to want to eat food here at work. At home, I have not had a problem yet except for missing my popcorn. . .LOL

I am bound and determined to do this right this time. I have to. . . I am using every cent I have been saving up for retirement to do this. No nest egg to fall back on now.

I will need a lot of support after this and hopefully will find it here. And, hopefully, I will be able to be the support to those that follow me. . .

Everybody think of me on the 14th... as I have this band removed and the sleeve performed by Dr. Ortiz. . . BTW, doesn't he have the most dreamy eyes?? LOL

I can't wait to meet him in person. . .

Shari

Shari,

My heart and thoughts go out to you while you continue on this journey. Please know that I will support you in any way that I can during your incredible journey.