Upset, Petrified, Let-down

Hi everyone,

I have not been here ages! Hope you are all well and happy and slimming down and loving life!

I had my lapband put in I think it was 2008 on Valentines day actually, and 1 year later in 09 i was told i needed a revision, so went on the waiting list (Public).

I got a call today and they want to do it next week (i forgot i needed it).

Guys I need your help! Please...

Do i 'need' this? Is it 'Vital' what are the benefits and cons? ATM they can access my port well one skillfull dr always does it perfectly. What happens if i just don't have the revision? Can a tilted port damage me or damage my band or anything?

They want me to undergo General anesthetic for this revision and you know this scares EVERYONE in their right mind. The scarring sucks we all know it does suck and will it leave me with MORE scarring? Will it need revision... again one day?

Im in two minds I really need your support right now ... I haven't been losing weight really im stuck at 90 kilos which is only 10 kilos down from my postop weight and my band is at its perfect level.

I feel like I need someone to sing me happy songs that it's going to be okay... anyone?

xoxoxo Thank you and I don't mean to sound negative. xx

Hi everyone,

I have not been here ages! Hope you are all well and happy and slimming down and loving life!

I had my lapband put in I think it was 2008 on Valentines day actually, and 1 year later in 09 i was told i needed a revision, so went on the waiting list (Public).

I got a call today and they want to do it next week (i forgot i needed it).

Guys I need your help! Please...

Do i 'need' this? Is it 'Vital' what are the benefits and cons? ATM they can access my port well one skillfull dr always does it perfectly. What happens if i just don't have the revision? Can a tilted port damage me or damage my band or anything?

They want me to undergo General anesthetic for this revision and you know this scares EVERYONE in their right mind. The scarring sucks we all know it does suck and will it leave me with MORE scarring? Will it need revision... again one day?

Im in two minds I really need your support right now ... I haven't been losing weight really im stuck at 90 kilos which is only 10 kilos down from my postop weight and my band is at its perfect level.

I feel like I need someone to sing me happy songs that it's going to be okay... anyone?

xoxoxo Thank you and I don't mean to sound negative. xx

I'd say if you are able to access your port, and are that freaked, don't do it.

If it were me, I would pry do the port revision. But I would want my port secured.

Really I think it is up to you. Ask your Dr. what they think.

LIndsay I need a revision because my port has ripped free on the bottom side and is facing up and virtually the only way to get a fill or unfill is from an angle that comes up directly from my nose down its mostly uncomfortable to be filled that way and when I sleep (tummy and side sleeper) I feel the port like an apple under my tummy.

Angie its just so upsetting, I dont want more scars and It is another general anasthetic, Im really scared. I know it probably will all be okay but it still scares me. I will try to talk to him tomorrow over the phone but this guy shits me because he is always too busy to talk to his patients in one way unless it is in a consult which takes months to get. Thanks for your nice message. x

LIndsay I need a revision because my port has ripped free on the bottom side and is facing up and virtually the only way to get a fill or unfill is from an angle that comes up directly from my nose down its mostly uncomfortable to be filled that way and when I sleep (tummy and side sleeper) I feel the port like an apple under my tummy.

Angie its just so upsetting, I dont want more scars and It is another general anasthetic, Im really scared. I know it probably will all be okay but it still scares me. I will try to talk to him tomorrow over the phone but this guy shits me because he is always too busy to talk to his patients in one way unless it is in a consult which takes months to get. Thanks for your nice message. x

I understand not wanting more scars and I am not planning on being a bikini mamma..... : )

Let us know if you get to talk to the doc. Oh and don't forget to let us know what you decide. I am thinking of you!

((HUGS))

Did you have a lot of scaring from your first surgery??

I only ahve a couple tiny little lines ... less than an inch in length .. something I could care less about.

Who is your doctor?

This is a good review for him. (ha!)

From a nurses point of view, I am not a OR nurse, a ER nurse so surgery is not my specialty, my first question is why general anasthesia? (can't spell that word)...Why can't they do a local a big local, or use moderate sedation with a local? Moderate sedation puts you in lalala land and you don't remember it, and the local would make it so that you wouldn't feel it.? The only reason I could see them wanting you out, is to be totally still, so they can do what they want effectively, and in case they see something else that needs fixing. But ask about the moderate sedation... :lol::angry::unsure::wacko:

I would rather want something in my body that will be there forever to be working properly...I would have the surgery...But that is me...You have to decide for you, and do what is right in your body and mind, then accept that decision and move on with life.!

Kim :wub:

From a nurses point of view, I am not a OR nurse, a ER nurse so surgery is not my specialty, my first question is why general anasthesia? (can't spell that word)...Why can't they do a local a big local, or use moderate sedation with a local? Moderate sedation puts you in lalala land and you don't remember it, and the local would make it so that you wouldn't feel it.? The only reason I could see them wanting you out, is to be totally still, so they can do what they want effectively, and in case they see something else that needs fixing. But ask about the moderate sedation... :lol::angry::unsure::wacko:

I would rather want something in my body that will be there forever to be working properly...I would have the surgery...But that is me...You have to decide for you, and do what is right in your body and mind, then accept that decision and move on with life.!

Kim :wub:

I Agree :)

I just had the port revision surgery and it was quite uncomfortable after. In fact, I was really, really, really bruised (black and blue tummy) even though I didn't bruise at all after I got banded BUT it was SO worth it! I can't feel my port at all any more (mine has rubbed on my ribss since day one) and I am SO much more comfortable. Do it for sure, especially if it's free. OCC charges about $1500 for this procedure which I just had to payout of pocket:(

Thank you all so much, I will ask about the partial anesthesia, I didn't know it existed as such!

I feel the port all the time when I touch it or when I am rolling around in bed to get comfy, I have to lie a certain way or it feels like i am lying on a tenisball.

You know ladies I am so scared, I am depressed and mostly I think it is all about the scar.. I exavuated myself. I think it is because I dont want another scar but then again as you said above... its not likely ill be a bikini babe again (sadly) and another great point was that a lady was much more comfy after it was fixed.

I will go tomorrow morning and ask a lot of questions and see how I feel and in the end no one can make me do it hey. At least ill get my questions answered eitherway... I am so scared I wish you girls where in Melbourne!