Pregnancy after banding

I know that, several months back when I first realized I was pregnant, I had a really hard time finding information out there on pregnancy after being banded. Since I'm now someone in the middle of the exact situation I had questions about, I just thoguht I'd post a little information on myself and how the pregnancy has gone so far and how the band has/hasn't affected me:

Just as basic background information, I was banded in May of 2008 and had lost about 85 - 90 lbs when I became pregnant in March of 2010. My husband (of 9 years) and I had been trying to get pregnant for many, many years (in fact, my lack of ovulation was a main motivating factor in being banded in the first place!) and were thrilled/surprised/amazed to find out we were expecting. I was on no medications (fertility or otherwise) and had simply gotten to a place where my body was at a healthy enough weight for my height to begin to ovulate and generally act right on its own.

I am happy to report that I have had basically zero band-related issues so far in the pregnancy. I am now 23 weeks along with a due date of December 1st and, typical tiredness and pregnancy hormones aside, and we are having a boy (no name picked out yet) who seems to be strong and healthy in every way.

I did not have any fill removed from my band and, as I have had no morning sickness (lucky, I know!!) that has not been an issue at all. Also, I have had no pain or issues from my port site and my tummy expanding and I have actually continued to lose some weight during the pregnancy - which my doctor is not at all concerned with. I just wanted to share my positive experience(s) and will try to remember to update my OCC friends as things progress.

Glad you are doing so well!! I am 33 weeks along. I didnt have my band unfilled either. I am just starting to get a bit tighter though - but my doctor says it is just because I am so small and everything is getting squished, so we are keeping our eyes on things. Besides that, everthing is great :)

Hope you continue having a great pregnancy!

I havent gained much...I weigh 156 right now and I am guestimating I weighed about 140-143 when I got pregnant....I got pregnant new years eve and I hadnt weighed since about a week before xmas I think. I was trying to not be so anal over xmas since I had only been banded 3 days the xmas before and missed out on everything since I was on the liquid diet. My doctor said its fine since I wasnt a toothpick and everything is going good :)

I'm 23 weeks along and feel great. I've gained only 2 lbs on the scale, but I've definitely lost weight in my body--especially my face and back. I've been able to wear bras that I couldn't wear for years due to "back fat". It was hard having so many cravings and not being able to really fufill them. But thankfully I have my band or I would have gained AT LEAST 40 lbs by now!!

I stayed fully filled and had very little morning sickness with no vomiting. I've have been a little tighter than before but I am determined to just deal with it because I KNOW my doctor will want to take out more than I want. Her husband is a lapband surgeon and I know she will tell him to take out more...lol. I don't really want to travel to TJ pregnant so I'll just tough it out.

I've added whole milk to my diet to make up for the few extra calories I need.

I have had some minor discomfort with my port. It now sticks out and you can actually see it if I wear a tight shirt. I think it's partly b/c of the weight loss and also from being pushed up.

The great thing is that I've had shoulder pain every day since my surgery. I have been convinced it was due to the position of the tubing off the port. It's like to could literaly feel it rubbing the diaphram causing that referred pain. But since the "shift" of everything it feels like it moved and I hardly have any shoulder pain.

I am SO happy I got banded--which I did mainly in anticipation of becoming pregnant. I wanted a baby but was not willing to weight 300lbs to have one!

Congrats to the other girls and hopefully we can keep each other posted by way of the this thread!

I am 33 weeks pregnant and have not been unfilled, don't plan on it either. I have had zero issues myself with my band or my port. I have lost roughly 15-20 pounds since I have been pregnant and have gained back 1-2 pounds..my doctor doesn't seem concerned either because my baby is growing and is at a great weight..I was very concerned at first because it seemed like every pregnant woman I spoke with or book I read did not apply to me but then I realized I was different..although I have joined a pregnancy band board a lot of women on that site have had weight gaining issues...so I think it just depends on your body and if you get unfilled or not..I don't see a reason to get unfilled unless of course your band starts to become a problem later in your pregnancy...it seems like most of the women find out they are pregnant and rush out and get unfilled...not such a great idea..I do have to say the only problem I have encountered this entire pregnancy is gallstones...although my doctor does not know if it is from my weight lose or my pregnancy...needless to say I will have to have it removed about 4 weeks after I give birth...I just have to deal with the attacks and if they get bad enough then I will have to have surgery prior to giving birth...I just wanted to say congrats to the women that have struggled to become pregnant and finally after being banded were able too..I was in your shoes too..my husband and I tried for over a year and we were unable to get pregnant we went on fertility drugs for 3 months and I was able to get pregnant...it is a rough road to go down...but congrats to all and have a healthy and happy 9 months!!!

I actually am down about 10 lbs from where I was before I got pregnant, so I have had a great experience with it so far! I hope I can continue to lose after the baby (and I'm sure I will - that's the beauty of the band!) because I still have a good little ways to go.

Have you ladies gained much weight during your pregnancy? It's amazing that most women do not gain much weight while pregnant with the band and can lose it quickly after the birth :)

It's so nice to read things like this... congratz to all you ladies and I can't wait to be walking down the same road one day. I've never been pregnant, but I guess you can say my boyfriend and I are trying. I have not seen a doctor about why I haven't gotten pregnant after so many attempts, but I know my weight can be a huge factor in my fertility. It just motivates me to hear these things from other bansters... i'm really looking forward to getting healthy for my baby in the future. <3