Gaining weight on liquids

I had surgery on 7/26 I was losing about 2lbs a day while on the clear liquids. Now that I have added soups I am gaining weight. I am keeping it to no more than 3 cups of full liquids a day like they suggested. Did anyone else start gaining when they started the full liquids? I am already taking a diuretic so its hard to believe that it could be from salt in the soups, but maybe. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Trying really hard not to get discouraged this early in the process.

May I ask why you're taking a diuretic?

This could cause dehydration while on a liquid diet.

But to answer your question:

Liquid, will show up as 'weight', so stay off the scale.

It's not a clear indication of what's really happening.

May I ask why you're taking a diuretic?

This could cause dehydration while on a liquid diet.

But to answer your question:

Liquid, will show up as 'weight', so stay off the scale.

It's not a clear indication of what's really happening.

I am taking the diuretic for high blood pressure, have been on it for about two years, so I figured that any extra water retention would be taken care of with that. I am going to switch to low sodium soups. They will be better for me and my high blood pressure anyway. So hard to stay off the scale. It was so exciting to be getting on it and be down 2lbs every morning for the first 8 days.

Sodium is NOT a source of weight gain.

this is a myth.

I disagree. Sodium causes water retention...which for most of us women can cause significant weight retention and fluctuation. There is no myth about it...pretty straight forward....simple basics of osmotic flow. BTW, I do have medical training. Jennifer, I understand what you are feeling. Had surgery same day as you. Expected pretty steady weight loss post-op since only being on liquids, but have only lost about 10 pounds post-op. Can't be too angry because it is 10 pounds but feels like I am being so "good" and "deprived" that it should be coming off faster. I know from my own experience that I am drinking very little just plain water...everything has a flavor or supplement in it to add protein or something tasty so I'm guessing that is a large part of my problem since I can gain 5 pounds of water weight from just 1 salty meal if I don't overhydrate to flush it out. From all the previous postings, it sounds like this is pretty normal for most people....at least hope so anyway!!! How is the liquid phase going for you? It doesn't bother me at work because I'm too busy to think about it, but on the weekends with family, weddings, etc...it sucks! Keep me updated.

Christy

Christy,

I agree with you on a couple of things you mentioned. First, weekends suck on the liquid phase! I really struggle mentally. Also, I could gain 5 lbs. of water weight from a meal high in sodium too! I hate having nothing to look forward to, day in and day out, except drinking my meals. I am so tired of everything liquid. I'm only on day 12 too. The good news is that I've lost 16 lbs. post op. I complain, but I've stayed so strong with following the program.

Jenny, I know it's hard not to watch the scales. I think you are doing great, so hang in there!

I disagree. Sodium causes water retention...which for most of us women can cause significant weight retention and fluctuation. There is no myth about it...pretty straight forward....simple basics of osmotic flow. BTW, I do have medical training. Jennifer, I understand what you are feeling. Had surgery same day as you. Expected pretty steady weight loss post-op since only being on liquids, but have only lost about 10 pounds post-op. Can't be too angry because it is 10 pounds but feels like I am being so "good" and "deprived" that it should be coming off faster. I know from my own experience that I am drinking very little just plain water...everything has a flavor or supplement in it to add protein or something tasty so I'm guessing that is a large part of my problem since I can gain 5 pounds of water weight from just 1 salty meal if I don't overhydrate to flush it out. From all the previous postings, it sounds like this is pretty normal for most people....at least hope so anyway!!! How is the liquid phase going for you? It doesn't bother me at work because I'm too busy to think about it, but on the weekends with family, weddings, etc...it sucks! Keep me updated.

Christy

Water is NOT weight =

Water retention is not weight gain.

As a medical 'trained' professional, you'd understand the very clear difference.

Water is NOT weight =

Water retention is not weight gain.

As a medical 'trained' professional, you'd understand the very clear difference.

Hey Lindsay - So are you saying water weight is temporary and our bodies will expell it. Basicly it is not a true account for your actual weight?

I know I have seen a jump in the scale after a chips and salsa night or something like that.

Good question Angie. I was wondering the exact same thing. One awful day, before I was sereious about having surgery, I went out to eat for lunch with my daughter and dinner that evening with my husband. I must of ordered all the wrong things that had way too much sodium intake. Later, I was horrified at how much water retention I had. My legs, ankles and feet were huge. I got on the scale, and I was the highest weight I have ever been!! I started crying and called OCC the next day. I knew I had to change my life. ( It wasn't that whimsical, I had been researching it forever and saving my money) I have been going by that weight as my highest weight.........but maybe it wasn't really accurate?

I didn't gain on the full liquids, but I did gain about half my lost weight back when I went on solids but my aftercare doctor said that was normal and that I was doing fine. Once I got a fill in I lost again and especially after the 2nd fill that is when I really started seeing the loss of weight. So just keep with it you will lose!

Hey Lindsay - So are you saying water weight is temporary and our bodies will expell it. Basicly it is not a true account for your actual weight?

I know I have seen a jump in the scale after a chips and salsa night or something like that.

EXACTLY!

Which is why the everyday scale is a terrible way to measure body composition.

It can't tell you if you've gained a few pounds of water, fat or muscle.

You can purchase scales that specific are designed to measure your body fat vs water, but they're very inaccurate. (even if they say they are, they're not)

You'll see trainers at the gym, offer composition testing; where they'll probably use the skin fold measure - read more here.

This is accurate, if it's done the same way each time (ie. the same person does it)

The most accurate way to measure body composition is the BodPod. I know a lot of major universities/health care centres offer the BodPod. It's really cool, if you have the opportunity to visit one!

http://www.bodpod.com/

Women are tricky ... we can gain water at the drop of a hat!

That's why after a large meal (esp carb based - ie. pasta/rice) you can see a HUGE 'weight' gain .. when the next morning, you're almost back to the 'starting' weight.

You may see a slight increase in the scale AFTER a good hard workout.

Your MUSCLES hold WATER!

When your body is dehydrated, it WILL hold onto water.

Making you 'look' like you've gained weight. This usually disappears within a couple of days.

How many unused calories is what's important here. Remember that you're burning calories just sitting around- about 80 an hour or so. You burn at least 1000 calories in a day just breathing, thinking and so on.

A pound of fat contains roughly 3200 calories. So you'd have to consume 3200 calories beyond what you burn in a day to gain a pound of fat. Conversely, you'd need to burn 3200 calories more than you consume to lose a pound of fat. That may seem like a lot, but realize that an extra hundred calories a day, everyday, over the course of a lifetime can really add up, a pound a month, 12 pounds a year.

There are quite a few examples I could throw out, but those are the most common in women, I find.

(I have a background in personal training & nutrition)