Port Revision Surgery - I NEED answers ASAP!

Hello,

I will keep this quick, I am having a port revision surgery (seems everyone is). My question is that will I have a new scar? OR will they go in through an old scar from the original lapband insertion surgery?

I really need someone to let me know what happened with their own experience of a port revision. Some people are saying it was pain free some are saying they where in pain and bruised black and blue for weeks!

Really appreciate it..

WB xoxo

Hello, I have had Laproscopic surgery twice before being banded. I had 4 incisions on the first and got 1 more on the second. The ones I got from being banded were all new. 5 total ,but they are extremely small and are fading fast. I think that depending on what they are trying to operate on depends on where your incisions are. I hope this helps Good Luck on your surgery. TC RCR

Hello lovlies! I am sitting here smiling and sipping carrot, apple and ginger juice.. I just got back from hospital and I asked if it was really necessary My port is slightly flipped and she felt it really well and then spoke to my original Dr. N who did the original surgery and who is the lapband guy here in Australia and he said so long people can get into the port (even at the angle it is on) I dont need the surgery! So we drove home and I put on my Pyjamas and am here planning a day of bludge in front of the heater! So happy. Also I was told today if they had to go in again there is a huge risk of infection thaat can travel down all the way to the band and apparently that is a big risk. So my advice to anyone is not to have a port revision unless its 200% needed. Thank you all so much for your posts and kindness during my 'freak out' lol xx

I would think there is always risk of infection with any surgery, but most of us on this forum had our surgeries at OCC which is a VERY clean facility- not a dirty hospital. I have no regrets at all...especially since I found out my port was pressing (actually left a dent) on my liver. I can't imagine that can be healthy long-term. Yikes. We all have to do what is best for us but, yes, any surgery involves risks.

Sabrina:)

Wow.

All of that for nothing!

I have to say it - your doctor sucks :(

They should have been able to determine that it wasn't necessary prior to you arriving at the hospital, preparing for revision surgery.

You poor little thing!

I was really worried about you.

sigh/

Oh my god, it left a mark on your liver you poor thing! OMG! I am speechless. I think I will see if there is someone better than my dr... You are all right he should have known from the Xrays if it was needed or not before getting me that worried and making my OH take a day off work (money is really tight here) to take me in to surgery only to have to go home hours later!

You are all really nice people and really thank you all, I WISH i could hug each and every one of you.

Ummm OMG, the port is not suppose to be under your abdominal muscles...It is suppose to be on top of them under the skin. Liver damage is serious...omg kill the dr...(what sucks is that no one/dr will probably want to touch your port that another dr did/messed up...Their funny that way!

Good luck girl...well think about you and send our positive thoughts

kim :wub: