Calling US from Mexico

What did you guys use to call home from Mexico? I understand calls can be made at the OCC, but I was wondering how to make calls from the hotel. My mother is curious about this since she wants to be in constant contact with home while we are in Mexico. Thanks!!! :D

What did you guys use to call home from Mexico? I understand calls can be made at the OCC, but I was wondering how to make calls from the hotel. My mother is curious about this since she wants to be in constant contact with home while we are in Mexico. Thanks!!! :D

I'd also like to know. I'm guessing a phone card might be the way to go.... Also, for those who went shopping while in TJ, is it a safe area? Should I bring cash or just my debit card?? Thanks all!

I'd also like to know. I'm guessing a phone card might be the way to go.... Also, for those who went shopping while in TJ, is it a safe area? Should I bring cash or just my debit card?? Thanks all!

If you are staying at the Marriott, they have a phone surcharge even if you use a phone card. You may want to look at getting a international package for a month on your cell phone, if you have one. I shopped on Revolutionary avenue and felt completely safe. I had cash with me but my companion took her debit card and used it at ATMs to get cash. The stores seem to work/barter better with cash.

Att has a $5 plan for Mexico. If you are going to use your debit card, let your bank know ahead of time because they have to do something to make sure it works over there. Found that out a little too late...

Thanks crazymomma! I wouldn't have remembered to do that either. :)

crazymomma thanks! I will try that too.

I am also bringing a little net book that I am hoping to use skype with when I am somewhere with wifi, which I believe the Mariott has.

hopefully the OCC also will.